• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cops pulls gun on scappoose couple

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty/index.ssf/2008/12/hillsboro_officer_investigated.html

anyone know these people? i wonder what would happen if i did this. would i be arrested on the spot with no evidence other than the couple's statement? you goddamn bet i would be.

another example of our masters, the protected, upper class LEOs.

he admits to pulling his gun out...

"Hillsboro officials are trying to determine whether Officer Scott Hanley, 38, improperly displayed his gun to a Scappoose couple outside a grocery store on Nov. 26.

Rouches said Hanley pulled out his service weapon "after being startled" when the couple parked their truck close to his vehicle.

Rouches said Scappoose police investigated the incident and referred the matter to the Columbia County District Attorney's office for review. No arrests were made.

Rouches said Hanley has been with Hillsboro Police since March. He came there from Scappoose and previously worked in Newberg.

Rouches said the department's internal review will continue. He said Hanley was not placed on leave because of inconsistencies in the couple's version of the encounter, and because there was not enough evidence to justify relieving Hanley from duty."

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm familiar with these, um, people. They are knownforattracting trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if their 'story' was perhaps exaggerated.

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
I'm familiar with these, um, people. They are knownforattracting trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if their 'story' was perhaps exaggerated.
whats their names? i live in columbia county. i might know them

the cop admitted to pulling his gun out. just wondering how anything but an attack on the officer or anyone else around would warrant his gun pulled

adamsesq

imported post

mrbiggles wrote:
just wondering how anything but an attack on the officer or anyone else around would warrant his gun pulled

Hmm, the description given was that they pulled too close to him... The same actual happening could possibly be they pointed their vehicle and drove at him. I don't know this to be the case but it is just as possible based on the little info given and that would warrant him pulling his gun.

According to the news this morning this is under investigation and I have no doubt it will be dealt with appropriately.

And no Doug, we are not all equal. We started out equal but some have lost the right to be believed. Have you ever heard of Chicken Little? Again, I don't know that is true about these people, but it is possible.

To every story there are two sides.

-adamsesq

ETA: after watching the "victim"'s own account on the video clip, including how his body language shows how the officer was leaning back away from the door after this guy drove up at him it fits very well with the officer being in fear of his life.

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

more excuses, if a normal person like me did that we'd be sitting in jail, or we'd be out a couple grand in bail money waiting for trial.

i never knew a car driving up to next to you was endangering your life.

this guy should not be a cop, and he will kill an innocent person one day.

as pudding well knows the scappoose police were very very authoritarian and corrupt up until about 5 years ago. i bet this clown was working there at this time.

i wonder if he is the same nutcase that pulled his pistol on my father, i was stopped for a taillight out and my old man pulled in behind, in a town of a couple thousand people and basically no crime to speak of, it warranted pulling his pistol and making my father leave :?

how can anyone here have any faith the police will investigate this fully and fairly. i wonder if grocery outlet has a security camera pointing over there.

nothing will happen, there is no way to prove what did or didn't happen. doesn't matter if it were me or your. we'd still be charged.

@#$% em

ps: i don't know the alleged victim, he seems a little eccentric thoiugh

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If the officer did do what was said, then, in my opinion, he is a nut job and shouldn't be allowed to own a gun let alone enforce laws, I don't think any one would dispute this. I don't think anything will become of it because of inconsistent story versions (stated in the news article), probably no witnesses, and the fact that he's a cop. Yes, if it were you or I, we would be sitting in jail right now or on bail awaiting trial.

Fred Kenpo

imported post

mrbiggles wrote:
just wondering how anything but an attack on the officer or anyone else around would warrant his gun pulled
I don't know the incident, the officer, or anything about it, except I know what it's like to be a cop. I'm remnded on the scene in The Dead Pool, where Harry Callaghan knows he's a target and a man comes up to him, and, in the classic gesture, pulls something out from under his coat. Harry immediately pulls his no. 29 and holds it at the man's head. Then he realizes the man only wants his autograph. Puts the gun away. If you are startled, you react according to your training. The gun was withdrawn; no harm, no foul. Life imitating art. Add your own cliche.

JBURGII

imported post

Fred Kenpo wrote:
mrbiggles wrote:
I don't know the incident, the officer, or anything about it, except I know what it's like to be a cop. I'm remnded on the scene in The Dead Pool, where Harry Callaghan knows he's a target and a man comes up to him, and, in the classic gesture, pulls something out from under his coat. Harry immediately pulls his no. 29 and holds it at the man's head. Then he realizes the man only wants his autograph. Puts the gun away. If you are startled, you react according to your training. The gun was withdrawn; no harm, no foul. Life imitating art. Add your own cliche.

You are correct, this is although the disparity between being a LAC and a LEO. If someone startles me and I have trained.. I might pull my weapon.. then I could be charged with brandishing. An officer is in the line of duty, no brandishing.. but then what would be the consequence of and AD, for the officer? for me?

There is always a lot of layers to these discussions which I find fascinating..

Have a great day, J

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

Fred Kenpo wrote:
mrbiggles wrote:
nice excuses. the leo should be in jail, fired, and never work again.

PMartin

imported post

"He came there from Scappoose and previously worked in Newberg."

He probably learned this in Newberg, its normal behavior here. I love it when cops in small, low crime towns run around dressed up like SWAT.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pretending to act like your life is in danger, just so you have an excuse to wave your gun around and maybe 'get to' kill someone....

Ever have a little sister? Remember when she was sitting next to you in the back seat of the station wagon and pretended that you punched her, when you did nothing?

Cops love to pull that crap. Do nothing wrong, and they simply 'react' to an event that never occurred... Dash cam shows nothing but their 'reaction,' 'surely, the man reached for a weapon, why else would the officer 'react' in this way?' Says the prosecutor.... Yet the dash cam video shows noting but the back of a guy's head barely visible through tinted windows. Absolutely nothing to support the idea that the 'target' had done anything at all, much less, 'reach for a weapon.' A weapon which is never found, or only has the officers fingerprints on it....