• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Star-Telegram Sports Writer thinks he knows when you have enough gun rights - opposed open carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Sport guy confused - thinks we ONLY want license holders to have open carry rights.

---

http://www.star-telegram.com/329/story/1073685.html

Plaxico Burress is no Roy Rogers

By JIM REEVES
revo@star-telegram.com

[*]
var oOptions = new TDConfig();
oOptions.Style = "http://media.star-telegram.com/styles/textdigger.css";
oOptions.ShowClose = "TDBubbleTRC";
oOptions.Origin = "element";
oOptions.KeepInView = false;
oOptions.PopupTitleAddition = ' RELATED STORIES';
oOptions.TagDivHeader = 'Related Tags (BETA)
mouse over a tag to see related stories';
TDInit( oOptions );

There was a time in my life when I was absolutely sure I’d grow up to be Roy Rogers.For those of you too young to know who I’m talking about, Roy was a 1950s movie cowboy who wore two pistols on his hips, but generally whipped up on the bad guys without actually killing anybody. He just winged them.

Or at least that’s the way it looked to my wide 6-year-old eyes in the darkness of the Cactus Theater in Carlsbad, N.M.

And when Roy did shoot somebody, we never saw blood or gore, or the painful aftermath. Things were so much simpler then, if overly-sanitized for that era’s consumption.

Thing are a bit more complicated now. Ask New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress, who just threw away a career and millions of dollars when he illegally carried a 9-millimeter Glock into a Manhattan nightclub last week, and then managed to shoot himself in the leg with it.

I say all this as a prelude to a confession: I own a handgun. It’s just a .22-caliber revolver, but it’s still a gun and still deadly. I couldn’t tell you the last time I actually picked it up, but it’s there, put away in a case in the house.

I bought it for snakes and varmints back when I was a hunter years ago, not that I could have hit one if I’d tried. Then, when I lived in the country for more than a decade, I kept it around for that, and to have a firearm my wife could actually handle when I was traveling. You know, just in case.

That’s the way we are in this country, especially out here in the West. Our history was changed forever by the advent of the Colt .45 and its colorful and bloody tradition spawned a whole movie industry. Even today, the Roy Rogers in me still inspires me to be first in line when a good Western flick, such as the recent Appaloosa[/i], shows up in theaters.

We still think we have to be prepared in case there’s an Indian uprising on the reservation.

I’ve been slow to understand that life really isn’t like the movies. I don’t need to be Roy Rogers. We pay taxes for law enforcement folks to be our heroes.

That’s why I shuddered earlier this week when I saw that the gun lobby intends to focus on Texas in trying to turn us into an "open carry" state. That means those who have permits to carry a concealed weapon will be able to walk the streets with the big iron on their hips.

That leaves the rest of us to wonder whether they think they’re Roy Rogers, or Dirty Harry or Charles Whitman.

What I know for sure is that I don’t want to saunter into a McDonald’s with my granddaughters and have them sitting in a booth next to a guy carrying a .357 Magnum, but not a badge. If they’re packing, I’d just as soon be blissfully ignorant of that fact.

It’s ironic that the "open carry" story should hit on the Monday after Burress, who had an expired weapons permit from Florida, plugged himself in the thigh after strolling into the Latin Quarter nightclub with a Glock in his waistband the previous Friday night.

This was a guy who, at one time, had a licensed permit to carry his weapon in Florida. Doesn’t that license require some sort of training and gun education before it’s issued? Yet, Burress didn’t even know how to work the safety on his pistol.

The wonder is that he only shot himself, fortunately not seriously, and not some innocent bystander.

Yet, Burress felt like he needed the protection while he partied — on an already injured leg, mind you — because of his expensive jewelry and the wads of cash he carried.

I have to agree with Fox’s Tony Siragusa, a former NFL player, who noted during Sunday’s Redskins-Giants game, "If you go to a place that you feel you need to carry a gun, the best thing is stay home."

Ah, but that would be the logical, smart thing to do and those attributes are exceedingly rare among professional athletes.

And if they can’t force themselves to stay home, use some of that cash to hire a couple of bodyguards. Of course, sometimes even that doesn’t keep a player out of trouble, as Jerry Jones recently learned.

At least then, though, there’s someone else to pin the blame on if things go bad.

Burress picked up his Glock and his permit in Florida, where the gun laws are notoriously weak. In this year alone, Florida gun permit holders have been charged in two murders and a manslaughter.

But the Giants receiver, who just signed a $35 million contract after helping his team win a Super Bowl last year, brought his weapon to New Jersey, where he lives, and from there to New York, two of the toughest gun law states in the country.

As one New York columnist pointed out, if Burress had ridden the subway to the Latin Quarter, instead of taking a limo, he’d have had a hard time missing the signs that are posted everywhere: "1 gun = 3 1/2 years."

That’s 3 1/2 years minimum prison time for carrying a weapon into a nightclub. Guaranteed. And New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has made it clear he expects the law to play no favorites just because Burress is an NFL star.

The Giants already have suspended Burress for the remainder of the season and the chances that he’ll ever play for them again are remote. Essentially, that was a $35 million bullet Burress fired through his thigh.

He thought he might have to thwart some bad guy who could try to rob him of his bling. Now, he might have to hock all that jewelry just to pay his legal fees.

It’s a painful lesson, especially for Burress, but one we all need to learn.

Roy Rogers doesn’t live here any more.

Jim Reeves, 817-390-7760

Gordie

imported post

I hope he knows more about sports than he knows about guns and the people who own them.:p

I think he sums up hisview of the worldbest when he says "I’d just as soon be blissfully ignorant of that fact." It is obviousthat he is "blissfully ignorant" of many facts.

demnogis

imported post

I think his whole article could have been a better example of a forum post. Op-ed is Op-ed, not exactly factual basis for something.

I AM glad that people have opinions. It is good, it means they're thinking -- or at least, thinking enough to have an opinion -- but sometimes not critically.

Let's be logical about this: If he's happy and doesn't care that someone is carrying a firearm, why should it matter if it's concealed or not? There is no reduction of risk of mishandling whether the firearm is visible or not. The only difference is a person's emotional reaction to seeing the gun. An assailant's emotional reaction will be to move on, the threat of life or limb is not worth it. Coming from his era of good 'ol cowboys and indians, WW1 and WW2 movies of granduer, glory days of neigh... Why would seeing a gun be something so frightful?

I understand the statement that "this is not the wild west!". True, it's the decrepit west, where crime is abound, people care not to help another in need and society has become so morally displaced that even if you were being assaulted, the most you would get is an anonymous call to the police... Which they also have no obligation to help you, should they find the time.

It's not the wild west, here. It's the land of self-made men and those who can fend for thesmelves.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

demnogis wrote:
I think his whole article could have been a better example of a forum post. Op-ed is Op-ed, not exactly factual basis for something.

I AM glad that people have opinions. It is good, it means they're thinking -- or at least, thinking enough to have an opinion -- but sometimes not critically.

Let's be logical about this: If he's happy and doesn't care that someone is carrying a firearm, why should it matter if it's concealed or not? There is no reduction of risk of mishandling whether the firearm is visible or not. The only difference is a person's emotional reaction to seeing the gun. An assailant's emotional reaction will be to move on, the threat of life or limb is not worth it. Coming from his era of good 'ol cowboys and indians, WW1 and WW2 movies of granduer, glory days of neigh... Why would seeing a gun be something so frightful?

I understand the statement that "this is not the wild west!". True, it's the decrepit west, where crime is abound, people care not to help another in need and society has become so morally displaced that even if you were being assaulted, the most you would get is an anonymous call to the police... Which they also have no obligation to help you, should they find the time.

It's not the wild west, here. It's the land of self-made men and those who can fend for thesmelves.
Amen Brother preach it!!!!!!!!:D

gunnut1

imported post

The Star Tell It All is a liberal rag anyway. I ignore what they write about gun rights because it is usually wrong!

Miracle

imported post

I'm sorry..I just had to laugh when I read this..

"Burress picked up his Glock and his permit in Florida, where the gun laws are notoriously weak. In this year alone, Florida gun permit holders have been charged in two murders and a manslaughter."

So...a whole THREE legal gun carriers in the the entire state of Florida allegedly did something foolish?

Shocking I tells ya! Shocking!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Miracle wrote:

"Burress picked up his Glock and his permit in Florida, where the gun laws are notoriously weak. In this year alone, Florida gun permit holders have been charged in two murders and a manslaughter."

So...a whole THREE legal gun carriers in the the entire state of Florida allegedly did something foolish?

the guy was a concealed carrier - open carriers get much more scrutiny and they know it and I think are far less likley to have negligent discharges.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Miracle wrote:

the guy was a concealed carrier - open carriers get much more scrutiny and they know it and I think are far less likley to have negligent discharges.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Just thinking cold, hard numbers here. Three murders? THREE!?

In 2007, there were 1,202 murders in Florida, 825 of which involved firearms. So you're telling me that 3 of those were by people with concealed permits? Man it sounds like Flordia has a serious problem with its concealed carriers. They're committing all of the crimes, aren't they? Stupid writer. If you're going to pull numbers, at least include the important context. People want the truth, not your biased opinion. Most of us know that permit holders are far less likely to commit crimes of any sort, and much, much, much less likely to commit murder.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I noticed on his Florida comment, there were 2 CHARGES for murder and 1 for manslaughter. No convictions? Hmmmmm

Miracle

imported post

Notso wrote:
I noticed on his Florida comment, there were 2 CHARGES for murder and 1 for manslaughter. No convictions? Hmmmmm

that's not surprising considering how slow the judicial process goes. But still...THREE?? Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Swampbeast

imported post

Anyone else tired of how ignorant the liberal media is?

And being charged with something means nothing without a conviction.

Miracle

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
After reading this "tripe," I emailed Jim, actually got a prompt reply !!! It was hilarious, I forwarded it to Doug Huffman, he can post it if he chooses.

aw! no reply to me yet. /cry