• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Star-Telegram Sports Writer thinks he knows when you have enough gun rights - opposed open carry

Miracle

imported post

okay..got my reply.

" Appreciate the note. Thanks for weighing in with your opinion. I never doubted that there are far more responsible gun owners (I'm one myself) and permit holders than fools like Burress. But it only takes one to kill some innocent bystander.
Thanks again,
jr
fwst"

So...his nonsense about Florida's gun laws and a whopping THREE permit holding gun owners being accused of committing a crime...?

Perhaps it is a requirement to check one's brain at the door when you write for a paper?

4armed Architect

imported post

Sarcasm on:

Does Jim Reeves have permit for his keyboard? I would submit he has negligently discharged his writing responsibilities. Shouldn't he lose his job and do some jail time? How uninformed(of facts) can he be? Words are dangerous things I tell you. They scare and offend people all the time. I'd feel a lot better if he kept his opinions to himself.

Oh, what's that you say? He must not know about the 2nd Amendment to the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (that comes right after the 1st Amendment)? He does? Uhhh, Uh,...

Upon further review, sorry Jim, you're right, all the infringing stuff only applies to the 2nd Amendment, not the 1st. It says it right there in the 2nd Amendment that no one except Law Enforcement officers can Keep and BEAR arms. My mistake.

The question I always ask the Jim Reeves of the world is "Where do you get your Crystal Balls? I want one so that I can stop needing to be concerned about my or my wife's protection. I guess the world really is a safe place. No one really ever gets hurt by bad guys.

Sarcasm off.

Here in CA. the son of recently retired Speaker of the Assembly, Fabian Nunez, was arrested for murder. The charge is that he and 3 buddies did a lot drinking one evening and decided to go out and "gang up" on somebody and do them some harm. They found some guys, started a fight and knifed them all. 1 of the knifed victims died of a knife wound to the heart. Esteban Nunez allegedly said prior to the event that he would take the rap and that his father would hopefully get him off if need be.

mrrga25

Founder's Club Member
imported post

whiskaz_55 wrote:
Yet, Burress didn’t even know how to work the safety on his pistol.
Since when has a glock had a safety to work?
My thoughts exactly. I carry a glock exclusively and never had an accidental discharge. I think that I will take the time to look once more for the safety that he is referring to.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Itis oft stated that "The pen is mightier than the sword". This principle only holds true when the pen holds intelligible "INK". Opinionated "slobber" constitutes a poor susbstitute for ink on any parchment. This SPORTS writer has the 1A right to wade into the public forum and express his personal belief, feeling, philospohy, point of view (whatever). Were he to approach the sports issue with the same degree of ignorance - he would undoubtedly find himself at McDonalds flipping burgers.

I am tempted to offer the same quarter to the excercise of his 1Aprotected rights - as he affords the citizens of Texas in the excercise of their 2A protected right. The utter insanity of declaring the 2A de facto null & void ( because guns are deadly weapons designed to inflict deadly injury) is a facet of "progressive" philosophy -AKA the US Constitutionis no longerin effect.If the "progressives" were to succeed in trampling the 2A into paper mulch(they won't)- The demise of Mr Reeve's precious IA will be next -

Mr Reeves, your demonstrated lack of respect for the US Constitution is precisely WHY more citizens need to excercise their right to arm themselves in defense of their persons - just as you so freely excercise your right to expose your ignorance, and pathetic naivete.People like myself havepreviously not forcefully countered thepoint of view you hold-as our neighborhoods, parking lots, and streets have increasingly become the "turf" of violent, predatory criminals. Those days are over.

The bodies of innocentvictims pile up on the streets and in the fields while law enforcement agencies that we fund admit they do not have the means, inclination , fortitude,nor any legal responsibilty to preemptively protect individuals. Remain a "sheep", Mr Reeves -I pray that you will never NEED that .22 revolver that you have so "safely" stored away in its case.

The right to be armed in defense of one's person is not subject to a "license" anymore than your right to disseminate stupidity is regulated by a "license" (unfortunately). Butthe sowing of yourseeds of stupidity on the pages of the Star Telegram is your RIGHT - protected by the same Constitution that protectsmy right to wear a firearm openly (or concealed for that matter) as provision for defense against criminal confrontation.OH - and PLEEASE spare us the "no right is absolute" CROCK - that dribbleslikespittle from the lips of tyrannts and their pathetic servants! MY RIGHT to keep and bear armsthat "shall (no longer) be infringed" - is most certainly ABSOLUTE !

I resent Mr Reeve's hi-jacking the "sports page" of the Star Telegram to lobby for my wife and daughters to be rendered defenseless. Fortunately my loved ones and I will excercise our rights as we deem it necessary inspite of your opposition or any unconstitutional "law" on the books in Texas or any otherjurisdiction.

Perhaps Mr Reeves will "hang-in" here for a time and expose himself to aalternative view-point...... and exchange his .22 in-the-box in for a holstered .45 ???

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wrote this e-mail; dunno if it'll get read but it highlights the more egregious demonstrations of ignorance.

First let me say that Plaxico screwed up royally, and will pay the price for it. Even in Texas and Florida, it is illegal to carry a gun into a bar or nightclub, even if you have a permit to carry concealed. Yes, gun laws are far tougher in New York and New Jersey (so tough in fact that few if any people own guns; it's too difficult to get Statepermission to buy and own one), but I bet you anything that if the same situation had happened to Terrell Owens here in Texas, the DPD would have matched the response time of NYC's finest.

I however wish to comment on some blatantly uneducated statements you made in this column. First of all, Plaxico would have had to have been an absolute genius to be able to successfully "work the safety on his pistol". A Glock, after all, does not have a safety switch; its safety mechanisms are totally internal and cannot be actively engaged. The number-one safety system of any firearm is the shooter, specifically his or her adherence to the four rules of gun handling, the two applicable ones here being "treat every gun as if it were always loaded" and "keep your finger off the trigger until you wish to fire at a target". As far as how all this could have happened if Plax had a Florida concealed weapon permit, I can only assume Plax's blood alcohol level was highly contributory to the situation. It is a universal truth that guns and alcohol, just like guns and cars, do not mix.

Second, you seem to think that the police exist to protect you. That is not the case and has not been for a long time. The Supreme Court has ruled many times that the police do not have any sworn duty to protect any one person. Their job is to keep the peace, and enforce the law. If you are shot by a burglar in your own home, you can't hold the police responsible for "failing to protect you". And at some level, you recognize this; you bought a .22 and kept it around for your wife's use, "just in case". You realize that the police cannot be everywhere all the time. Next time you're walking around downtown or in a shopping mall, keep your eyes peeled for police officers, and more specifically, keep track of the time in which an officer is NOT within sight. As long as you cannot actually see a police officer, the police will not be able to intervene quickly enough on your behalf to save you, or even catch the bad guy, should you be mugged, assaulted or shot. It's a sobering realization, and the reason that "gun lovers" carry however and wherever it is legal to do so.

Third, the idea that Plaxico should have hired a couple of bodyguards if he felt he needed protection may be plausible, but your implication is that nobody needs a gun; we can all rely on a security guard (the overwhelming majority of which do not carry weapons) or a personal bodyguard. This appears to be a common thread among wealthy gun control advocates; stars like Oprah and Rosie have the gall to say that guns should be banned while being flanked by armed men.

Fourth, your statistic of the Florida concealed weapon permittees' crime rate. You say that in the past 12 months, there were three unlawful killings for which permittees were convicted. The worst case scenario for my argument is that those three killings are the only homicides committed in Florida. If that were the case, the Attorney General would be getting a medal. Obviously it is not. I do not have accurate Florida crime data handy, but since you're equating the two states in terms of their lax gun laws, I do have data for Texas permittees. In 2006, the most recent year with complete data, CHL holders, who represent just over 1% of the population, were convicted of only two-tenths of a percent of all crimes committed in Texas. If CHLs were as crime prone as you infer, those numbers should at least match; one percent of Texas residents committing one percent of the crimes. In reality, the gun-carrying community as currently exists is four times LESS likely to commit ANY crime. The crime most CHLs were arrested for? I'm ashamed to say it, but it'sDUI. Even then, theoverall residentpopulation of Texas is arrested4 timesmore often for that same crime.

You would argue that a CHL holder knows what he's doing; he's been through a class and a qualification. I agree, but that by no means infers that those who do not have a CHL do not know the same things. In fact,I would consider it a grave personalinsult. I am a responsible gun owner. I am well-versed in Texas gun law, basic tactics, conflict resolution, and practical ability. I could, right this moment, pass the written test and practical qualification (frankly, it's not difficult).I simply do not feel like paying the government around $250 (the highest overall cost of any state which issues concealed carry permits non-discretionally; so-called "shall-issue" policy) to get government permission to protect myself. So, I protect myself where I am allowed, and lobby to protect myself in more places without needing special permission.

Lastly, if you'd rather be blissfully ignorant of the fact that any given person around you is a CHL holder, does that also mean you'd rather be blissfully ignorant of the man behind you in line who is concealing a weapon WITHOUT a permit because he's about to rob the store? Ignorance is not bliss; you have definitely demonstrated your ignorance of many things in this article, yet you do not seem to be blissful about it. Criminals conceal their weapons just as lawful CHL holder do. Why? Becauseaconvicted felon isnot supposed to have them, and because they're banking on the element of surprise to startle people into doing what they want. However, criminals also do not like a fair fight. If there is the possibility of resistance,someone intent on committing a crime will more often than not choose a different victim or locale.An openly carried weapondoesn't just present the possibility of resistance, it guarantees it. Such is the deterrent effect of an openly carried weapon, and whenever you see one you should feel very safe; at that moment, you are the least likely to be the victim of a crime that you will be in your life.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I am honored by the trust. Sorry for the delay, I may have misunderstood a bit.

Barbara: Thanks for the note. I would have sworn that law enforcement officers take an oath to "serve and protect," but maybe I'm wrong....and it's not about being offended at McD's, it's about being fearful for my life and those of others who might get in the way if some "cowboy" starts fumbling for the gun in his pants....Your story about the trained DEA agent who shot himself in the foot makes my point perfectly, keep guns out of public places....No, I can't afford a bodyguard but Burress could have....I'm all for you having the right to bear arms and protect your home. I just don't want to see us go back to old West days when everyone walking down the street is packing.
jr
fwst

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu 12/4/2008 4:53 PM
To: Reeves, James
Subject: Jim Reeves is no authority on law, either

Just read your tripe concerning the ongoing push for open carry in the Lone Star state. Unlike some, I actually read your entire rant. Here are my comments.
1. "We pay taxes for law enforcement folks to be our heroes." Obviously, you are not aware of the fact numerous courts have consistently ruled NO "law enforcement officer" is required to protect anyone. They are just what their title implies: law enforcement officers. They are NOT "peace" officers. Their job is to enforce whatever oozes out of the state house. Regardless, 99% of the time, when things go bad, they're nowhere to be found, unless it's the law enforcement officers who are instigating the bad things. Heroes? LOL, that's just too funny.
2. " I don't want to saunter into a McDonald's............." Again, the courts have consistently ruled NO citizen possesses some magic right to never be offended. Accept it and get over it. Your desire to not be offended does not trump my right to bear arms. Sounds to me you're already blissfully ignorant, which indicates to me you're right in step with the majority of those who write for "news" papers.
3. You rant about Burress, but I can't help but wonder if you've ever watched the video of your "hero" DEA agent who shot himself in the foot in A CLASSROOM FULL OF KIDS, RIGHT AFTER BRAGGING ABOUT BEING THE ONLY ONE PROFESSIONAL ENOUGH TO HANDLE A FIREARM. Have you seen it?
4. "Bodyguards." Most of us peons out here who actually have to work for a living cannot afford bodyguards. Can you?
5. Your entire rant failed to even mention the true purpose of the 2nd amendment: to keep GOVERNMENT in check. Are you even aware of that fact?
I tried calling you at the number posted underneath your name, nobody's home.
Barbara

Code:

Miracle

imported post

Wow! some really good letters in here.

Before I came to this site I never would have considered it a good thing to allow citizens to carry a weapon without training. It has always been my belief that yes, carry...but be educated first. I am getting some intriguing ideas about why this may be flawed thinking.

Thanks to all who offer food for thought in a serious, non judgemental fashion.

Blkwdw86

imported post

Considering this nitwit's choice to hail Plaxico Burress as his champion for the idiot's point-of-view, let's visit exactly how PB's stupidity manifested itself into a self-inflicted leg injury. HE WAS PLAYING WITH THE GUN IN HIS WAISTBAND! I've never owned a Glock, chief reason for this is because they come with a trigger safety that prevents them from being fired without an intentional trigger pull with the finger fully engaged on the trigger (I have a hard time placing my survival on having a perfect grip on my weapon in a rushed and/or panicked combat situation, so I avoid safety features that rely on hand position, preferring double action weapons that function no matter how they're gripped). So I challenge Mr. Reeves to explain how Plaxico Burress's careless fiddling with a weapon he wasn't supposed to have in the first place relates to legal and competent open carry as is being reviewed in Texas. I further challenge Mr. Reeves to explain his position against Second Amendment rights that ensure the First Amendment rights he enjoys and relies upon for his living.

Some peoples' stupidity and ignorance goes beyond human comprehension.