• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Knew

Sheriff

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
This news is completely relevant in this forum.

Norfolk's PD has done a fine job of making itself the poster-child of how to not handle open carry situations.

The fact that the Norfolk PD now has three of its members under indictment for acts of deceit and dishonesty underscores the relevance of the issue.
Agreed 100%!

mpolo79

imported post

Cops lie all the time. This is no surprise. They are heavily shielded from accountability which naturally fosters corruption.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mpolo79 wrote:
Cops lie all the time. This is no surprise. They are heavily shielded from accountability which naturally fosters corruption.

Reinforced by the "blue wall of silence" whereby some officers with a misplaced sense of loyalty protect their co-workers.

Obviously, in this case, there might have been a chink in the wall somewhere.

But I'll wager its just a piece of a fuller picture.

nitrovic

imported post

mpolo79 wrote:

Good job guys!!! Just proving the cop hating that only "a few" on this site display. :lol: You guys are too easy to smoke out.

nitrovic

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:

Norfolk's PD has done a fine job of making itself the poster-child of how to not handle open carry situations.

The fact that the Norfolk PD now has three of its members under indictment for acts of deceit and dishonesty underscores the relevance of the issue.

Anybody who would suggest otherwise is complaining for the wrong reasons, or simply has not been paying attention.

This story does not involved open carrying, it is NOT relevant at all.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

nitrovic wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:

Anybody who would suggest otherwise is complaining for the wrong reasons, or simply has not been paying attention.

Well either is CC but we talk about that all the time.

nitrovic

imported post

Venator wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:

Well either is CC but we talk about that all the time.

These type of threads are breaking the forum rules, see below-
This is not a general discussion web site - even the thread for "general discussions" must be fairly related to open carry, firearms and gun rights. Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focussed. If you think the post is questionable, please don't post it. Thanks!

Just because the story involved the police does not mean it is related to gun rights. The story in the OP did not say the officers had anything to do with violated somebody's gun rights.

Venator

imported post

It just makes it hard to get all warm and fussy with some LEO's when you hear stories like this. Small town south of Detroit, MI. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/19186.html

"Tonight I had dinner with a couple of LEO's to discuss OC ing in the area as suggested, and I qoute " If we recieve a call regarding you OCing, you will be arrested for disturbing the peace. Your weapon will be confiscated. In which you may not get it back as it may become lost in the evidance room. If anyone is caught OCing in our jurisdication regardless if they have a CPL or not they will be arrested. Open carry in a holster is still considered concealed as some of the weapon is just that concealed and you could be charged with CCW. "Unqoute. This is after I provided all the information regarding OC ing provided by this site. One of the LEO's basicly told me just get the CPL you know you can. The state has made it very easy. Why would I want to OC when I can get a CPL.

So even though these two were merely patrol officers and I expected no less I still plan on meeting with several officials within the community next week to inform them and discuss the issue.

These officers are both from the same downriver community city. Both officers have been on the force for 8-10 years. Neither officer has ever recieved a call for OCing.

Thiswas my first contact to merely discuss OCing in the downriver community. I have worked with both of these officers in the past and know them on a first name basis."

I like the logic of the part about even if you have a CPL and you OC it's considered concealed and you will be arrested for CCW. My head exploded.:shock:

nitrovic

imported post

Venator wrote:
It just makes it hard to get all warm and fussy with some LEO's when you hear stories like this. Small town south of Detroit, MI. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/19186.html

"Tonight I had dinner with a couple of LEO's to discuss OC ing in the area as suggested, and I qoute " If we recieve a call regarding you OCing, you will be arrested for disturbing the peace. Your weapon will be confiscated. In which you may not get it back as it may become lost in the evidance room. If anyone is caught OCing in our jurisdication regardless if they have a CPL or not they will be arrested. Open carry in a holster is still considered concealed as some of the weapon is just that concealed and you could be charged with CCW. "Unqoute. This is after I provided all the information regarding OC ing provided by this site. One of the LEO's basicly told me just get the CPL you know you can. The state has made it very easy. Why would I want to OC when I can get a CPL.

So even though these two were merely patrol officers and I expected no less I still plan on meeting with several officials within the community next week to inform them and discuss the issue.

These officers are both from the same downriver community city. Both officers have been on the force for 8-10 years. Neither officer has ever recieved a call for OCing.

This was my first contact to merely discuss OCing in the downriver community. I have worked with both of these officers in the past and know them on a first name basis."

So what does this have to do with Virginia? Were these officers from Va?

Venator

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Venator wrote:

Thiswas my first contact to merely discuss OCing in the downriver community. I have worked with both of these officers in the past and know them on a first name basis."

What does Virgina have to do with it, nothing. My god you are a picky guy. It's about LEO's that have an attitude and poor logic skills. It did pertain to OC though so you should be happy.

nitrovic

imported post

Venator wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Venator wrote:

This was my first contact to merely discuss OCing in the downriver community. I have worked with both of these officers in the past and know them on a first name basis."

What does Virgina have to do with it, nothing.  My god you are a picky guy.  It's about LEO's that have an attitude and poor logic skills.  It did pertain to OC though so you should be happy.

You realize this IS the "Virginia" forum correct? What does this have to do with OC in Va? Because these officers in Michigan who were not trained and are not working in Virginia had a poor attitude then all LEO's think and are trained like that? Please stop, typical anti-leo stance. Too easy.

Venator

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Venator wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Venator wrote:

What does Virgina have to do with it, nothing. My god you are a picky guy. It's about LEO's that have an attitude and poor logic skills. It did pertain to OC though so you should be happy.

You realize this IS the "Virginia" forum correct? What does this have to do with OC in Va? Because these officers in Michigan who were not trained and are not working in Virginia had a poor attitude then all LEO's think and are trained like that? Please stop, typical anti-leo stance. Too easy.

I think I'm free to post on any of the threads, we get many out of state people offering there views on OUR Michigan thread. Take a chill pill, Read my post again, I never said all LEO's, you projected and made that comment, that's because you are an LEO and are overly sensitive to it. Pretty thin skin for a Cop.

And I'm not anti-LEO, in anti some LEO's, there is a difference.

nitrovic

imported post

What does your story have to do with gun rights or open carrying in Virginia?

ScottyT

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
None of your recent posts have anything to do with gun rights or open carry in Virginia. You just recently posted a story about Utah police in your own Virginia forum.

Small people take delight in annoying others.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
None of your recent posts have anything to do with gun rights or open carry in Virginia. You just recently posted a story about Utah police in your own Virginia forum.

Small people take delight in annoying others.

Regarding his severaloff-topic threads, I don't think he's trying to annoy us. He's using the "hit it with a bigger hammer" technique to try to force us to accept his view.

Which, of course, never worked with anybody.

Just ignore him. Near as I can tell, his very presence here seems to be off-topic. By this I mean that he doesn't seem to be here to actually support and advance OC. He seems to be here to fight backagainst negative opinions about police.

I don't think he is even here for something as innocent as a police apologist/defender, as innocent as that might be. He's too wrapped up in it, too fixated on it. It gets too personal with him. Its something deeper, thus my estimate that he seems to be here to fight back against negative opinions about police.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There seems to be some confusion here about the "rules" of this forum. First there are no "RULES", there are GUIDELINES. Guidelines are by definition flexible, rules are not.

The guidelines that apply to this forum are there to generally channel the discussion to the areas of firearms and Open carry. In this thread we have a number of persons who can see the obvious relevance of this discussion to the larger issue of misuse of police authority and the possible infringement of open carry rights in a particular area of Virginia. We also have a very few that are so focused on rules and enforcement of rules that they cannot see the the larger issues being discussed in the thread, or the fact that there are no rules here only guidelines.

The short of it is, if you think this or any otherthread or post is off topic and inappropriate for discussion, report it to the moderators. There are plenty of them around. If they agree they will remove the thread or post. BECAUSE MODERATORS ARE THE ONES WHO THE FORUM OWNER AS AUTHORIZED TO EVALUATE AND ENFORCE GUIDELINES ON POSTING HERE!

From what I am see here a few people have a sense of universal order that has been offended by a few posts that they view as beingin the wrong area of the forum. If this sort of thing really offends you, you really need to stay away from the Internet. It is just not that well ordered. In fact neither is life in general.

While it is clearly the responsibility of posters to try to stay within the broad guidelines of the forum, the average user DOES NOT have the authority to take enforcement action against other forum users. A reasonable person might point out to someone ONCE that they are outside the guidelines, but a reasonable person DOES NOT go on and on page after page yelling about the rules and guidelines for posting. If the original thread is outside the guidelines, then so is a protracted discussion about it being outside the guidelines. The guidelines have NOTHING to do with OC, Firearms, or any other relevant topic.

Clearly over half of this thread is made up of tit-for-tat argument over what, (to any reasonable person) is clearly an anal retentive worship of the letter of guidelines that were never intended to be tightly enforced. Now I see another thread, started in an effort to make the rather silly point that someone can start a thread that falls outside the forum guidelines.

Here is the nub of it. The story in the original post IS relevant to OC because these officers work in a department with a long history of harassment of people lawfully OCing. The fact that this particular article does not mention OC and it does not mention these particular officers as part of the OC enforcement problem down state is irrelevant. These officers have been charged with some very serious offenses regarding their honesty. The police chief and the union have identified poor screening in the hiring process as the reason these men were hired and retained on the force. That same hiring process was used to populate the entire department. The same department giving evidence against OCers who have been arrested and harassed down state.

If you do not see the connection between this story and OC in Virginia, then you probably should not carry a firearm in Virginia. As for cop bashing ...get over it ... it is a fact of life LEOs deal with every day. In this case the thread is not cop bashing, these guys have been charged AFTER an internal investigation. Save your arguments for a time when the officers are potentially more worthy of your support.

Regards

nitrovic

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
There seems to be some confusion here about the "rules" of this forum.  First there are no "RULES", there are GUIDELINES.  Guidelines are by definition flexible, rules are not.

The guidelines that apply to this forum are there to generally channel the discussion to the areas of firearms and Open carry.  In this thread we have a number of persons who can see the obvious relevance of this discussion to the larger issue of misuse of police authority and the possible infringement of open carry rights in a particular area of Virginia.  We also have a very few that are so focused on rules and enforcement of rules that they cannot see the the larger issues being discussed in the thread, or the fact that there are no rules here only guidelines.

The short of it is, if you think this or any other thread or post is off topic and inappropriate for discussion, report it to the moderators.  There are plenty of them around.  If they agree they will remove the thread or post.  BECAUSE MODERATORS ARE THE ONES WHO THE FORUM OWNER AS AUTHORIZED TO EVALUATE AND ENFORCE GUIDELINES ON POSTING HERE! 

From what I am see here a few people have a sense of universal order that has been offended by a few posts that they view as being in the wrong area of the forum.  If this sort of thing really offends you, you really need to stay away from the Internet.  It is just not that well ordered.  In fact neither is life in general.

While it is clearly the responsibility of posters to try to stay within the broad guidelines of the forum, the average user DOES NOT have the authority to take enforcement action against other forum users.  A reasonable person might point out to someone ONCE that they are outside the guidelines, but a reasonable person DOES NOT go on and on page after page yelling about the rules and guidelines for posting.  If the original thread is outside the guidelines, then so is a protracted discussion about it being outside the guidelines.  The guidelines have NOTHING to do with OC, Firearms, or any other relevant topic.

Clearly over half of this thread is made up of tit-for-tat argument over what, (to any reasonable person) is clearly an anal retentive worship of the letter of guidelines that were never intended to be tightly enforced.  Now I see another thread, started in an effort to make the rather silly point that someone can start a thread that falls outside the forum guidelines.

Here is the nub of it.  The story in the original post IS relevant to OC because these officers work in a department with a long history of harassment of people lawfully OCing.  The fact that this particular article does not mention OC and it does not mention these particular officers as part of the OC enforcement problem down state is irrelevant.  These officers have been charged with some very serious offenses regarding their honesty.  The police chief and the union have identified poor screening in the hiring process as the reason these men were hired and retained on the force.  That same hiring process was used to populate the entire department.  The same department giving evidence against OCers who have been arrested and harassed down state.

If you do not see the connection between this story and OC in Virginia, then you probably should not carry a firearm in Virginia.  As for cop bashing ... get over it ... it is a fact of life LEOs deal with every day.  In this case the thread is not cop bashing, these guys have been charged AFTER an internal investigation.  Save your arguments for a time when the officers are potentially more worthy of your support.

Regards

These officers were charged, not convicted. Furthermore it is NOT about gun rights or open carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
snip.....
The short of it is, if you think this or any otherthread or post is off topic and inappropriate for discussion, report it to the moderators. There are plenty of them around. If they agree they will remove the thread or post. BECAUSE MODERATORS ARE THE ONES WHO THE FORUM OWNER AS AUTHORIZED TO EVALUATE AND ENFORCE GUIDELINES ON POSTING HERE!
Aaah no - there are only two (2) moderators, Mike & John.

They have asked us to be self moderating for the common good and because they cannot be everywhere. Bring major problems to their attention but do not bother then with trivial, petty things - reasonable?

Yata hey