Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My daughter wants a pistol

Post imported post

My daughter informed me over the Thanksgiving holidays that she wants to buy a handgun. It seems that the area of Roanoke that she and her sister live in isn't quite as safe an area as they thought. Twice in the last year, they have been awakened by someone pounding on the back door looking for someone who doesn't live there. and about a month ago, local police made, what I assume was a felony arrest, (guns drawn and suspect on the ground) in their back yard within a few yards of their back door.

Anyhow, she and I are going to the Richmond gunshow this weekend to look at and perhaps purchase a pistol for her. My original thought was something like a Mossberg 20 gauge, but she wants a pistol. I let her shoot my inventory (other than the .357 and the 44 mags). She liked my Tanfoglio 9mm, but said it was too heavy. My Smith model 457 seemed to be too much gun for her, and as for my old Colt Detective Special, she couldn't hit anything with it. Finally she shot mt wife's Bersa Thunder .380. She liked the way it felt and shot. She was also able to keeo most of the rounds on a silhouette target at 10 yards, even though she couldn't put all in the x ring. The Bersa does fit her budget too. Anyone have anyother suggestions?
    You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office

Post imported post

My wife loves her Sig P232, 380ACP, DA/SA, 6+1 in a small, but not tiny package. A little pricier than the Bersa, but hey, if it is good enough for Agent 99...

Post imported post

The Bersa Thunder .380 is fine, especially given that she has some experience and is comfortable with it. You/she might consider a second-hand .38 special revolver - old police-type ones with 4" barrels are abundant and affordable. Her accuracy should improve with the longer barrel, compared to the detective snub-nose she tried.

-ljp

Post imported post

My Mother carries a XD-40 4'' Service Model

Wife loves the XD-SC .40

Both can fit in small purses, if need be.

Post imported post

my wife loves her xd9 subcompact. fits in her purse or on her very easy. and she is a tiny thing.

Post imported post

Istarted my daughter ( now 18 attending PSU Abington ) off with a Browning Buckmark in 22lr and when she mastered that, I stepped her up to a S&W Model 13 .357mag using 38spec wadcutters and thenshe saw my Walther PPK/s 380acp and it was luv at 1st sight.

My little angel can shoot !!...So, it seems the .380acp wins out with most women as it has less perceived recoil and the frame usually fits their hands. Bersa and Kel Tec both make good platforms at a reasonable price. Just my 2 cents...

Post imported post

If you go the semi-auto route with her, make sure she can reliably work the slide to chamber a round. For my hands, my PPK took practice. The slim profile and relatively strong spring made it difficult at first.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

My wife has a Bersa Thunder, and my daughter shot it as well as several of my guns, She did the best with the Bersa. She has decided, that she will forgo purchasing a new laptop for now and go gun shopping with me t6he week before Christmas. We'll get her the Bersa if I can find one. They seem to be scarce around here right now. Whatever she buys, I'll clean and lube it for her as soon as we get home and then put some rounds through it. Living in the country has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is that I can walk out my front door and enjoy some shooting time.
    You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office

Post imported post

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/bDlodGEp_9o&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Glock 19

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Glock 19

Why not a Glock 22?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaLOO-EY4RI
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

CZ82 in 9x18.....CZ83 in 9x17...PA63 in 9x18....p64 in 9x18....all UNDER $200 and very reliable. The CZs are the best with a hot little shell. My daughter has one I gave her.

Post imported post

My wife has a G27 and is DEADLY with it. It fits her smaller hands well and she is well able to control the recoil.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Glock 19

Bravo, is that a random video you found, or is it a home video? That is impressive... My daughter is 8, and she shoots a Cricket .22 single shot bolt action rifle. She's learning the basics, and doing a commendable job. Her accuracy isn't bad, either, for a newbie!
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

somebody been working with Rob Pincus?

Post imported post

Can't go wrong with a used S&W Model 10, 6 shot .38spl in 3 or 4" barrel using low recoil ammo. Like someone else said they are readily available as they were standard LE issue for 50 years or so and are accurate.

Post imported post

I start all of my novice students with a .38 revolver. When they can shoot that reliably and feel comfortable with it, then we progress to semi-autos. Most of them eventually get at least a .40 ACP, while a few remain comfortable with the revolvers.

Comfort, accuracy and reliability are far more important than size or caliber. If she doesn't like to shoot it, she won't practice. If she doesn't practice, she will be at a decided disadvantage if she ever needs to use it.

Get her some quality training in gun handling AND self defense along with the sidearm. The mind set and determination to defend herself is actually more important than which gun she has.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Post imported post

I would suggest a S&W 22 revolver or Walther P22 if you are going for no recoil. If you need a little more punch, look at the Kel Tec P3AT or PF9 for around $250 or go for the Kahr P380 or P9 although the $$$ is higher. Just suggestions though.

Post imported post

If you want a 9MM, Kel-Tec P-11, fairly potent round and several of them too, you never know how many it will take to STOP THE THREAT, and it comes a with a 10 round mag and they make 12 that are flush fit and it uses S&W 59 series mags too.......just my .02 worth

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL, MAY IT BE BETTER THAN ANY BEFORE IT

Post imported post

Yes i forgot the P-11. Its a great choice as well.

Post imported post

I like the PF-9 better than the P-11 if you are going to go Kel-Tec. It's a newer design...

I'd look into a Kahr PM-9 (or one of the other Kahr 9mms as well).

This is just my own opinion, but I never recommend anything under 9mm to anyone (except maybe 38 spl... which you might want to look at a SW J-Frame).

A Glock 19 or Sig P226/229 would be great, and actually are easier for most females I know to shoot because they don't recoil as much as the smaller 9mms. Problem is that most don't want to carry a huge firearm.

You may want to take her to a gun show and find a firearm that fits her hand well. Also don't worry about recoil (well, don't get something ridiculous like .50SW or something...) as you can train away any recoil problems.

Post imported post

As I entered the world of pistols, I thought quite a bit about my choices. I settled ona full-sized 9mm. As I made my purchase, the salesman showed me the P3AT he carried. I liked the idea of a small BUG, and thought I might look into it later.

Every now and then I wander onto the Kel-Tec site to look over their product line. I have grown to prefer the thought of picking up a P-11 or P-9. They are still small, but they would allow me to avoid buying a new caliber of ammo while maintaining the higher potency of 9mm over .380.

The only negative comments I hear is regarding shooting large quantities in these small pistols. Evidently they becomes a bit uncomfortable during long practice sessions.

Post imported post

I'm a little late jumping in here, but I'd recommend the Glock 19 or the Bersa Thunder. Couple of reasons for the Glock:

- You can beat them up and they will still fire accurately
    - Very simple to operate with few moving parts to break or wear out
    - If parts break/wear out, it's easy to find aftermarket replacements on Cheaper Than Dirt
    - 9mm has more knockdown power than the .380 with similar recoil
    - The G19 isn't so bulky it's uncomfortable to shoot if you have smaller hands
    - There are plenty of holsters available for her to carry the Glock, and most do a nice job of concealment
    - Your daughter mentioned weight as a factor--I think I read--and the Glock is pretty light due to it's polymer receiver
    - 19+1 rounds of 9mm is plenty when the poop hits the fan. Most loose their fine motor skills in combat situations, and having all that ammo on board will keep the reloading to a minimum, and keep her on target.

As for the Bersa:
    - Very light and can be dropped in a purse or concealment holster. Galco makes the Matrix that is perfect for this little gun
    - The .380 has very controllable recoil
    - Ballistics are pretty good with the .380 and would certainly make someone stop doing what they had started which got them shot in the first place
    - If cost is a factor, the Bersa is half as much as the Glock. I bought my wife a Bersa for about $220. The Glock is going to run you about $600 (NIB)
    - Her experience with the Bersa is pretty important. Sounds like she likes it and it fits her. Gun fit is pretty important to get correct. My brother-in-law couldn't hit the back side of a barn with his Smith 4010. Didn't fit his hand and he couldn't index the gun. He picked up the G17 and his groups IMMEDIATELY improved.
    - 7+1 rounds is kind of low, but it beats throwing rocks. Keep an extra magazine handy. You can find aftermarket mags for about $15.
    - Blow back design (similar to the Makarov) with few parts. Not sure if it's as indestructable as the Glock, but still very reliable; doesn't jam when dirty.

Now, I'm sure you know this, but I'll say it anyway. It's not enough just to get a gun; she has to be able to shoot it accurately in all kinds of situations. Get her a membership to the gun range as well and have her practice trigger control over and over. A handful of snapcaps will let her sit in her apartment and do dry fire exercises (obvious gun safety practices should apply here). I had a pistol instructor tell me he read a report that said in deadly force situations, if the defender hit their assailant with the first shot, their chance of survival went up to 65%. If they missed, it dropped to the 40% neighborhood. I spend more time dry firing and "firing" a clothes pin then I actually do shooting live ammo. The dry firing pays off when I hit the range!

Post imported post

Happy New Year everyone!

You have all given great advice and ideas for a pistol for celtic's daughter.

As we all know, the gun must fit her hand and she MUST be comfortable with every aspect of the gun.

I have a Glock-19 and i love it. However, my fiancee is not a fan of it. Reason being is that she has a small frame, but very strong at the same time. However, she still has a very hard time working the slide, which is no good. I will probably end up buying her a .380 such as a Bersa sometime in the future. For now, she has a Taurus .22 revolver that her father bought her recently. She feels absolutely comfortable with that gun and shoots very well with it. So for now, its a good gun for her to shoot with to better her accuracy and comfort level.

Good luck with whatever your daughter may choose.

Post imported post

Bersa is a great gun and if she likes it, she will work more with it and consider it "hers" rather than something Daddy helped her pick out. This is extremely valuable IMO.

Good luck!

Post imported post

Glock 19. If that is larger than what she wants (like to keep in her purse) then get a Glock 26.

Don't cheap out on a weapon that may save her life. You can get a good deal on used Glocks with out sacrificing quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast