• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My daughter wants a pistol

celticredneck

imported post

My daughter informed me over the Thanksgiving holidays that she wants to buy a handgun. It seems that the area of Roanoke that she and her sister live in isn't quite as safe an area as they thought. Twice in the last year, they have been awakened by someone pounding on the back door looking for someone who doesn't live there. and about a month ago, local police made, what I assume was a felony arrest, (guns drawn and suspect on the ground) in their back yard within a few yards of their back door.

Anyhow, she and I are going to the Richmond gunshow this weekend to look at and perhaps purchase a pistol for her. My original thought was something like a Mossberg 20 gauge, but she wants a pistol. I let her shoot my inventory (other than the .357 and the 44 mags). She liked my Tanfoglio 9mm, but said it was too heavy. My Smith model 457 seemed to be too much gun for her, and as for my old Colt Detective Special, she couldn't hit anything with it. Finally she shot mt wife's Bersa Thunder .380. She liked the way it felt and shot. She was also able to keeo most of the rounds on a silhouette target at 10 yards, even though she couldn't put all in the x ring. The Bersa does fit her budget too. Anyone have anyother suggestions?

architect

imported post

My wife loves her Sig P232, 380ACP, DA/SA, 6+1 in a small, but not tiny package. A little pricier than the Bersa, but hey, if it is good enough for Agent 99...

Legba

imported post

The Bersa Thunder .380 is fine, especially given that she has some experience and is comfortable with it. You/she might consider a second-hand .38 special revolver - old police-type ones with 4" barrels are abundant and affordable. Her accuracy should improve with the longer barrel, compared to the detective snub-nose she tried.

-ljp

SHOOTER13

imported post

Istarted my daughter ( now 18 attending PSU Abington ) off with a Browning Buckmark in 22lr and when she mastered that, I stepped her up to a S&W Model 13 .357mag using 38spec wadcutters and thenshe saw my Walther PPK/s 380acp and it was luv at 1st sight.

My little angel can shoot !!...So, it seems the .380acp wins out with most women as it has less perceived recoil and the frame usually fits their hands. Bersa and Kel Tec both make good platforms at a reasonable price. Just my 2 cents...

BROWNINGBUCKMARKsmall-1.jpg

SWM13357MAGsmall-1.jpg

WALTHERPPKssmall-1.jpg

wrightme

imported post

If you go the semi-auto route with her, make sure she can reliably work the slide to chamber a round. For my hands, my PPK took practice. The slim profile and relatively strong spring made it difficult at first.

celticredneck

imported post

My wife has a Bersa Thunder, and my daughter shot it as well as several of my guns, She did the best with the Bersa. She has decided, that she will forgo purchasing a new laptop for now and go gun shopping with me t6he week before Christmas. We'll get her the Bersa if I can find one. They seem to be scarce around here right now. Whatever she buys, I'll clean and lube it for her as soon as we get home and then put some rounds through it. Living in the country has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is that I can walk out my front door and enjoy some shooting time.

TheMrMitch

imported post

CZ82 in 9x18.....CZ83 in 9x17...PA63 in 9x18....p64 in 9x18....all UNDER $200 and very reliable. The CZs are the best with a hot little shell. My daughter has one I gave her.:dude:

taprackg30

imported post

My wife has a G27 and is DEADLY with it. It fits her smaller hands well and she is well able to control the recoil.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Bravo, is that a random video you found, or is it a home video? That is impressive... My daughter is 8, and she shoots a Cricket .22 single shot bolt action rifle. She's learning the basics, and doing a commendable job. Her accuracy isn't bad, either, for a newbie! :D

tripledipper

imported post

Can't go wrong with a used S&W Model 10, 6 shot .38spl in 3 or 4" barrel using low recoil ammo. Like someone else said they are readily available as they were standard LE issue for 50 years or so and are accurate.

MamaLiberty

imported post

I start all of my novice students with a .38 revolver. When they can shoot that reliably and feel comfortable with it, then we progress to semi-autos. Most of them eventually get at least a .40 ACP, while a few remain comfortable with the revolvers.

Comfort, accuracy and reliability are far more important than size or caliber. If she doesn't like to shoot it, she won't practice. If she doesn't practice, she will be at a decided disadvantage if she ever needs to use it.

Get her some quality training in gun handling AND self defense along with the sidearm. The mind set and determination to defend herself is actually more important than which gun she has.

apcci2

imported post

I would suggest a S&W 22 revolver or Walther P22 if you are going for no recoil. If you need a little more punch, look at the Kel Tec P3AT or PF9 for around $250 or go for the Kahr P380 or P9 although the $$$ is higher. Just suggestions though.

curtm1911

imported post

If you want a 9MM, Kel-Tec P-11, fairly potent round and several of them too, you never know how many it will take to STOP THE THREAT, and it comes a with a 10 round mag and they make 12 that are flush fit and it uses S&W 59 series mags too.......just my .02 worth

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL, MAY IT BE BETTER THAN ANY BEFORE IT

kurtmax_0

imported post

I like the PF-9 better than the P-11 if you are going to go Kel-Tec. It's a newer design...

I'd look into a Kahr PM-9 (or one of the other Kahr 9mms as well).

This is just my own opinion, but I never recommend anything under 9mm to anyone (except maybe 38 spl... which you might want to look at a SW J-Frame).

A Glock 19 or Sig P226/229 would be great, and actually are easier for most females I know to shoot because they don't recoil as much as the smaller 9mms. Problem is that most don't want to carry a huge firearm.

You may want to take her to a gun show and find a firearm that fits her hand well. Also don't worry about recoil (well, don't get something ridiculous like .50SW or something...) as you can train away any recoil problems.