• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walther P22 vs SIG Mosquito

Which one would you buy ?

• Walther P22

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SIG Mosquito

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dustin

imported post

The Walther P22

wap22003.jpg

Walther SPECS:

Manufacturing
Make: Walther
MSRP: $300
Manual: Download PDF

class=headerBallistics
Caliber: .22 LR
Capacity: 10 rounds

class=headerDimensions
Type: Compact
Weight: 15 oz (425g)
Length: 6.30" (160mm)
Width: 1.10" (28mm)
Barrel: 3.40" (86mm)

class=headerDesign
Frame/Finishes:
Black Polymer
Action: DA/SA
Grips/Stock:
Integrated
Sights:
Windage adjustable rear sight and

The SIG Mosquito

SIG SPECS:

Manufacturing
Make: Sig Arms

aka: Sig Sauer
MSRP: $500
Manual: Download PDF

class=headerBallistics
Caliber: .22 LR
Capacity: 10 rounds

class=headerDimensions
Type: Full Size
Weight: 24.6 oz (697g)
Length: 7.20" (183mm)
Width: 1.46" (37mm)
Barrel: 3.90" (99mm)

class=headerDesign
Frame/Finishes:
Various
Action: DA/SA

[align=center]~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_[/align]
[align=left]Let's here it. Which one and Why ?[/align]
[align=left]Personaly, I'm seeing ALOT more negative articles on the MOSQUITO, than I am the Walther. Of course this has NO bearing whatsoever on the rest of SIG ARMS Fine handguns. But I think they might be off course with the 22 lr.[/align]
[align=left][/align]

Walleye

imported post

Walther P22 - the SIG Mosquito is a worthless heap of garbage. It isn't even made by SIG. I saw firsthand the jamming problems of the Mosquito at the range a couple weeks ago; apparently the chamber is much too tight.

Dustin

dt

imported post

No experience with SIG, but I love my P22, thats all i can say. I've read some reviews referencing jamming problems, but as long as i shoot CCI blazer nary a one.

Just for kicks once i picked up some CCI mini-mags (supposedly higher velocity stuff, I think) and it sucked with them. Complete jam-o-matic. As long as I stick with blazer... no problems. Which isfine since they are reasonably priced. I do keep thefeed ramp pretty well cleaned and polished.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've had a Mosquito for 6 months or so. I bought it mainly to use when introducing new shooters. Its been fun, reliable, and reasonably accurate. I also like that it has a nearly full-sized grip. It works like a real SIG. :)

No experience with the P22. Just wanted to point out that not all Mosquito owners are dissatisfied. Good luck either way.

Dustin

imported post

I went to the local gun shop yesterday and handled both of these.

The SIG trigger feels really mushy. NOTHING like the Real SIG 226's. The Ergo's or defintely SIG though.

The Walther felt very smooth with a good sa/da trigger pull. I also admired the very unique Mag Release that is actually on the trigger guard it self. it's very easy to operate. The Ergonomics of the weapon were suprisingly friendly. Of course it is compact.

smash29

imported post

Never tried the Sig but I have 3000+ rounds through my P22 and I really like it. I had heard that it was picky about ammo so I only used CCI Mini Mag/Mini Mag HPammo for a while but I've been using the cheap Federal value pack stuff lately and I've had very few problems. I'll have a FTF maybe once every couple magazines that is fixed with a quick cycle of the slide but considering I'm paying $13.50 for a box of 500+ rounds I can live with it.

Good gun, cheap fun.

Tallinthesaddle

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Owned a Walther, then got a Sig. The Sig felt great, but did a jam or two. Sold it and got another Walther. The Walther has a heck of a spring to get back in when you have it field stripped for cleaning. Nobody mentioned a Ruger????

Patiwack0

imported post

Voted P22 here. Love mine. Bought it to encourage my wife tolearn to shoot. So far, she's learned the four rules of firearm safety and how to handle the P22 at the kitchen table and in the living room dry fire. You guys just don't know how much progress that is. I have a feeling we will be heading to the back 40 for a little "plinking" in short order!! Wish me continued luck!!!!

dt

imported post

Tallinthesaddle wrote:
Owned a Walther, then got a Sig. The Sig felt great, but did a jam or two. Sold it and got another Walther. The Walther has a heck of a spring to get back in when you have it field stripped for cleaning. Nobody mentioned a Ruger????

I had this problem as well until I realized that the little rod that comes with the accessory pack makes the job awhole loteasier :D

Actually a pencil or pen or even a small stick will do in a pinch... anything to act as a temporary guide rod.

RHVette

imported post

Neither. Get a Ruger MKIII instead. I've seen far too many problems with both guns to recommend either. The Mosquito is too small (in every sense of the word); the chamber's too tight, the grip's too short, the sights are small, etc., etc. The P22, on the other hand, breaks another part every 1000 rounds. On our club's gun, first it was the hammer, then the feed ramp, then the slide stop, then the chamber, then the trigger assembly. We're on our third P22 now, why we haven't swapped it for something else, I haven't a clue.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

RHVette wrote:
Neither. Get a Ruger MKIII instead.
I went with a MKIII myself after deliberating between it, the P22, the Mosquito, and the Buck Mark (at the end it was between the Ruger and the Browning).

I'm curious as to why neither the Ruger MKIII nor the Browning Buck Mark are options above?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

They certainly are, which is why I don't reserve any objective criticism (e.g. "junk") for the Rugers.

However, my opinion is that the grip angle is fail. ;)

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
They certainly are, which is why I don't reserve any objective criticism (e.g. "junk") for the Rugers.

However, my opinion is that the grip angle is fail. ;)
My personal concern with the Ruger was the many complaints regarding the difficulty of field stripping. People honestly make it sound like a feat of sweat, blood, and luck.

I cleaned mine the first day I got it. I followed the instructions and I had zero issues :shock:. I must have been lucky because I didn't sweat or bleed :lol:.

I would like to get my hands on one of these :cool::

buckmark.jpeg