• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traffic stop and armed?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The way I see this is at the time of the stop the driver was the main point of interest. Should at some point should the LEO want the passenger to step out of the vehicle or information from the passenger, then and only IF you are either required to by state law or feel the need to inform the LEO should you alert the LEO that you "Are Legally Armed." Phrase it like so, Officer I am legally carrying a weapon.

Hickwithstick

imported post

Hello,

I just got home from my CCW class here in wyoming, the instructor told us we had to inform any LEO's about our permits as well as weather we had a weapon on us or not. his words were "I wouldn't be such a nice guy as I might have been after I may have turned my back on a weapon I didn't know I was there" He also said not telling an oficer was reason enough to have your permit revoked for life.

Personally I feel that telling an officer I have a valid CCW permit would settle alot of the tensions the officer might have about my self and the kind of person I am. possibly it might even speed things along since he would know by my having a permit that I was not a felon, and that I have no record. Hopefully this would end in a have a nice evening sir and a quick release rather than half an hour sitting in the car while he checks me out with his dispatcher

vonu

imported post

If LEOs presume that everyone is a felon until known otherwise, what happened to their support of a constitution that provides for a presumption of ignorance?

Hickwithstick

imported post

Fact is most cops are just doing a job we are paying them for, true some let the power go to their heads and well .....

If I was a LEO I would want to go home safely to my family at night the same way I went to work that morning, no diffrent than the cleck at the corner convenience store standing behind the bullet proof glass,

LEO's are dealing with someone that has already broken a law, hence the contact to start with, How would they know if its a BG that just Raped a woman and killed her family. or a working man that is thinking "What was it the wife wanted from the store?' That caused them both to not see the stop sign they just ran.

With the way violence and drugs have deteriated our society if I were a LEO I would think everyone was mass murderer untill proven diffrently and I don't expet them to act any diffrently than I would

onlymeself

imported post

As far as I understand it driving is a priviledge, not a right.

If someone you are riding with gets pulled over, they normally will ask you for ID as well. At that time if you have a permit to carry you must declare that you have or don't have your weapon on you. (in wyoming anyway,when the run your license it will show) If it were me and I wasn't asked for ID I would tell them that I was a permit holder and had my weapon. Why, because I don't want him to see the outline of it when I move, and get freaky on me. Besides a little respect can go a long way.

LEO are just doing a job. Do some get over zealous? Sure, but there are those types of people in every career. I personally know a lot of the sheriff's deputies around here. They are a pretty good bunch of people.

I'm sure some will say I'm wrong, but I would tell the officer if I was in the passenger seat, whether I was OC or carry concealed with a permit. Cuz I don't want to have a gun pointed at me, I don't want to end up eating pavement, and I, too, want to go home with the same number of holes as I left with.

AB

imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
...driving is a privilege not a right constitution does not apply except for searching and stopping...

Only because, "we the people" let them impose it on us, do you think the "wagon trains west" got licenses to travel? or do you think the founders wanted so many licenses and rights to be forfeited?

If you would have told one of the founders they needed a license to travel and with this license you would have to give up some of your rights, I don't think it would have went over well.

"Sorry Mr. Washington you will have to register your carriage and you need a license to drive it, and one last thing you need to have a permit to carry your firearms as well."

or

"Sorry Mr. Jefferson you have to become a resident of this state to purchase a hand-gun and you must get a drivers license, you must live here for six months before we consider you a resident"

I think there would have been "bloodshed".

[line]

"The constitution by itself is like, writing in the sand, unless you defend it, day and night, the wind, the rain and men will trample it till you can no longer recognize what it says." - AB

AB

imported post

To clear up the first question, there is no statutory requirement in Wyoming, to tell an officer you have a concealed weapon and permit, period.

Also there is nothing in state statutes that says you cannot have a firearm in the glovebox without a CCW permit.

It is primarily a LEO that might not be "clear on the law", so it is best to keep your mouth shut, and in doing that, you are not breaking any laws.