• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady Center has offered to defend Lebanon County against Meleanie Hain

shefearsnothing

imported post

I just got a call from a woman from the Patriot News. She wanted my comment on this. I had not heard about it but she said they just called the sheriff's office this morning to make the offer. She said the response from Lebanon was that they need to run it by their insurance company of course. She also said she has spoken to my attorney about this and gotten some info from him about it. As far as my comments on it I just told her I was sure my attorney had covered it for her article as that is what he was hired for.
smile.gif
I was pretty floored when she told me. Thoughts?

david.ross

imported post

One question I ask, can Lebanon legally accept help from the Brady Center? There are many PA laws, perhaps there is one which could help the situation in your favor?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Is the offer limited to paying Lebanon's attorney fees or are they offering to also coer any judgment you win? Either way, why not lighten the Bradys' pockets?

david.ross

imported post

Pennlive is a decent site for news... I posted a comment in reference to Blacksburg. I'm sure I know what you would say. :)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/12/brady_center_offers_to_defend.html

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence has offered free legal representation to Lebanon County to defend against the $1 million lawsuit brought by Meleanie Hain.

Hain is the Lebanon woman who wore her loaded gun on her hip to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game in September, causing other parents to become concerned.

Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo subsequently revoked her license to carry a concealed weapon, but his decision was reversed by Lebanon County Court Judge Robert Eby.

The case has drawn national attention.

Hain sued DeLeo, the sheriff's office and the county Nov. 24 for reimbursement of attorney's fees, lost wages and emotional distress. Her Philadelphia area attorney, Matthew Weisberg, said Hain's baby-sitting business fell off after the publicity and she has been ridiculed by her neighbors.

The Brady Center, based in Washington D.C., is "the nation's largest grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence," according to the group's website. It is named for Jim Brady, who was wounded by a gunman along with President Ronald Reagan 25 years ago.

Lebanon County commissioners said they would have to check with attorneys and their insurance company before deciding whether to take the Brady Center up on its offer.

sedstar

imported post

There's an awful lot of "posturing" on both sides, whether its a criminal OR a civil case. During my "trip thru Oz", a veritable legal odyssey? I was feeling intimidated by the prosecution's constant "too high offer". Everyone (not just MY side...) felt somethign reasonable like probation should have been offered, to clear up the court calendar. It made me feel intimidated to have "over 2 years" offered as the "deal".

My legal team shrugged it off. "They're bluffing...". I wasn't so sure at the time. Constant problems with full doscovery, constant continuances. Continuances are expected from the defense in a criminal case, not from the prosecutions side, LMAO. My legal team said the constant continuances coupled with the "hard roll" offer, was actually a sign of bluffing.

In the end, we were IN court, and the asst DA lady was arguing for yet another hearing on something. She finally got told she had to actually try the case. She refused, and they replaced her with another asst DA who said he would "give it a whirl". They lost. In the end, it was all a big bluff.

Here?? Heck the Brady foundation likes free publicity. The county your up against has already taken a body blow, could just be free publicity for the Bradys, and a cool bluff for the defense against your lawsuit. You know, at the discussions table? Its a card for the defendants "you know, you might wanna think about this offer we made again... you tick us off, we just might take the Brady offer, and withdraw this offer or even lower it more... your call..."

Its an aggravating game of chicken sometimes.

I have it on good authority that the Brady center views PA in general as a "complete wash". IE, they realize they are up against a state with a LOT of gun wners and hunters, and an active lobbying system against anti-gun measures. *shrugs* Anytime lobbyists admit they have problems in a state, thats a pretty strong point.

After the recent DC thing blowing up in their faces, the Brady is looking for ANY way they can "save face" and throw their weight around. Outside of Philly politics, they are kinda losing weight as a bully.

While this might LOOK really bad for your side... it might actually be a sign of weakness. A big bluff. If your legal team isn't intimidated, this is really just posturing. i mean, think about it... who would NOT accept a gift like a million dollar defense offer? You could quietly accept the offer, like hiding a trump card in Euchre... then walk into a court room and watch jaws drop when they saw who they had...

...this could be simple posturing. *shrugs*. Judges feel free to "legislate from the bench" when OUT of the spotlight. With the lights on and the camera rolling, NO judge likes having a ruling reversed by apellate measures. Makes them look bad, and in the future they can be intimidated by a good lawyer threatening an appeal.

Keep your chin up, and stay away fom the media.