Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I inquired about carrying at the local walmart today.

Post imported post

I'm gonna post this here since it may be taken slightly better than my beloved Glocktalk where I received *VERY* heavy flak. No one seemed to get the notion that I was inquiring to gauge my ability to OC in this particular store, not just CC as I always have and I'd rather ask than have some wackjob manager running out yelling "OMG, he's got a gun!!"

I always go concealed when in the store and I finally after hearing so many different threads and such about it, decided to inquire locally. I can't recall seeing and signs up(which I went in lawn and garden but that shouldn't matter) and went to the gun counter where a friend of mine works. I had her call the manager up and tell the manager a gentleman was in here inquiring about carrying a handgun with valid TN permit in the store. Over the phone I hear the manager loudly and in a panicked manner ask if the customer was currently armed. So she assured the manager I wasn't which throughout the conversation the manager asked about 3 or 4 more times to double check if I was armed. She said only LEO can carry in the store period. This is in Jacksboro TN and I think its BS. I'm gonna try to get ahold of corporate and ask them. Oh and the reason for no handguns at all is because it scared the customers away according to the manager, and I've never had anyone show the slightest concern about my Glock in Lowes, Food City or any other businesses. So if I *could* OC at this walmart it would be simpler for me when I have to run in for something quick and I'm not dressed to conceal.

here's the glocktalk link

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959757

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!

Before you contact corporate, why not take a moment to search thisforum. The corporate policy is already known and well researched. Just use the search tool at the top right.

Basically, WalMart follows the law of the state in which the store is located, with an exception for one region where a regional manager was given or usurped authority to ban OC or guns, I forget which.

You need to see it for yourself, though. Not take my word for it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

thanks for the welcome and I will try to look over the information. I've saw different things posted on different sites and it's pretty confusing. I do remember reading on here about the state policies being what they followand that's why I figured an innocent inquiry would either have them say that's fine(being a little country town walmart especially) or that they didn't know and would then contact corporate for an educated answer. It's ashame that so many people think OC is just an attention method on GT. If I wanted attention I'd carry my 6" 629 SS in a big gaudy holster.

Post imported post

You might try sending a copy of your state's laws to that manager along with corporates policy of simply going with individual state law and see where that takes you!

Post imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
    You might try sending a copy of your state's laws to that manager along with corporates policy of simply going with individual state law and see where that takes you!

Is there any link to the corporate policy that states for stores to abide by state laws? i've been looking and haven't found such yet.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

2006HighSierra wrote:
    SNIP It's ashame that so many people think OC is just an attention method on GT. If I wanted attention I'd carry my 6" 629 SS in a big gaudy holster.
    (chuckle)

Why not tell them that?

Something else you can do, rather than "explain", is ask them questions.

One of the most effective is, "What have you personally done, today, yourself, to promote the basic human right to self-defense?" "And, yesterday?" "And, the day before?"

Also, realize that from some it will just be thoughtlessly mirroring what they've seen others write without inspecting that information. But from the real die-hards it will be just mindless, emotional chattering, like somany monkeys who feel threatened. The fact of the matter is that they will not have OC'd themselves long enough or frequently enough to have enough genuine first-hand experience upon which to make valid conclusions.

This poster, on the other hand, has nearly two years ofdaily OC in one of the more liberal, soccer-mom, sheeple type regions of the country. I have hadmany, manymore positive encounters with other citizens than negative. I can literally still count the negative encounters on one hand.Therants against OC are nothing more than myths, the ramblings of emotional conclusion jumpers. But don't tell them this.Tact is needed.

Here's another angle. Criticism: "Oh, you just want attention!" Reply: "Of course, I want attention, you idiot! I want people to see that law-abiding citizens can carry the means to self-defense. I want people to stop being mindlessly afraid of guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens." (Probably best to leave out the "idiot" part, though.)

If you want to really see where he is at mentally just ask if a salesman is wrong for wanting attention. If he replies anything negative, you've got him pegged.

Realize also that you are being a salesman when you OC in public. You are selling people on their2A rights.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    2006HighSierra wrote:
    SNIP It's ashame that so many people think OC is just an attention method on GT. If I wanted attention I'd carry my 6" 629 SS in a big gaudy holster.
    (chuckle)

Why not tell them that?

I was gonna tell them that till I found the thread got locked

If I can find something to back up the corporate policy statements then I'll stroll on in there. I've had my permit for about a year now and other than a few guys at work asking me who I was gonna shoot jokes, only one individual I didn't know has ever made mention of my Glock and it was a positive inquiry which led to another 2A educated person. Danged ol sheeple.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

2006HighSierra wrote:
    I'm gonna post this here since it may be taken slightly better than my beloved Glocktalk where I received *VERY* heavy flak. No one seemed to get the notion that I was inquiring to gauge my ability to OC in this particular store, not just CC
    It is never advisable to ask stores or police for advisory opinions on gun carry - you are simply inviting, almost guraranteeing, creation of a policy on the spot against carry. Ask yourself what you would do if you are a low on the food chain employee - tell someone to carry a gun? Think about that.

Don't ask, don't tell applies to open carry.

Just open carry discreetly and minding your own business, do your shopping, and leave the store.

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

I have a TN permit, and I carry constantly. I usually carry open, but now that it is winter I'm not doing the 'Virginia tuck' to keep my weapon exposed. That said, IOC into the wal-marts in Smyrna and Murfreesboro all the time. Only issue I had was when a customer at the Smyrna store thought I was doing something wrong and called the police. I had 3 of Smyrnas finest show up to run my permit, and then the store manager came out and told the complainant that if he didn't stop harassing the other customers (me) he'd ban him from the store. I kinda liked that.

Regards,

Pol

Post imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
    Welcome to OCDO!

I have a TN permit, and I carry constantly. I usually carry open, but now that it is winter I'm not doing the 'Virginia tuck' to keep my weapon exposed. That said, IOC into the wal-marts in Smyrna and Murfreesboro all the time. Only issue I had was when a customer at the Smyrna store thought I was doing something wrong and called the police. I had 3 of Smyrnas finest show up to run my permit, and then the store manager came out and told the complainant that if he didn't stop harassing the other customers (me) he'd ban him from the store. I kinda liked that.

Regards,

Pol
    That could be the best WalMart story that I've read yet! +1 for that manager!

Post imported post

yeah, apparently this wasn't the first time that this guy called the cops on a customer. One for having a sheath knife on his belt, and another time on someone listening to their stereo a little louder than this guy wuld have liked while waiting in the pharmacy drive thru. The manager was a little angry.

Respect,

Pol

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I've OC'd in the Hohenwald store a couple times with a jacket that only partially covered my holstered gun (late night) with no problems. OC'd in the Dickson store day before Thanksgiving (afternoon - lots of customers) with no jacket and holstered weapon fully exposed, no problems at all. Walked right past several store emplyees and not a word from anyone.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Well, I just got kicked out of the Madison Heights walmart, but I think the manager wasn't following corporate policy: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=54

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

My understanding of Wal-Marts policy is that they will obey the law with regards to CC, but not OC.

They are scared it would cause panic. If you do a search on the internet you will see their policy.

Post imported post

I'm new to this board too, But I've read a ton of great info here. From what I've read, since you've asked the walmart if you can OC and were told,"no, no one but LEO's can carry", then you cannot CC any more, even though you have done so for awhile. Once you're told by management, it's just as good to you as a 50 ft. sign.

Or am I wrong and need to read more?

Tim

Post imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
    IOC into the wal-marts in Smyrna and Murfreesboro all the time. Only issue I had was when a customer at the Smyrna store thought I was doing something wrong and called the police. I had 3 of Smyrnas finest show up to run my permit...
    Maybe I missed it, but...

In TN, is a permit required for one to OC?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Tim_Tennessee wrote:
    I'm new to this board too, But I've read a ton of great info here. From what I've read, since you've asked the walmart if you can OC and were told,"no, no one but LEO's can carry", then you cannot CC any more, even though you have done so for awhile. Once you're told by management, it's just as good to you as a 50 ft. sign.

Or am I wrong and need to read more?

Tim
    If they have not posted proper signage and you go in CC they won't know you are armed. The only way they can inforce a "No CC" policy would be to install metal detectors at the all entrances and/or do a pat down of every customer that walks in the door. Walmart isn't going to do that.

Walmart's corporate policy, that I have read, seems to be flexible. Some folks on this board don't like that, or don't quite understand how it works. The policy allows gen managers to deal with the firearms issue at their discretion as long as they do so within compliance of state law that the stores are located. Tn statutes provide private businesses the right to prohibit firearms on their premises. If a gen manager chooses to prohibit firearms they have to post proper signage which is in compliance with Tn statute. If they don't post signage, they can still ask you to lieve if they see you OC. They can't see CC.

It would be hard to call Walmart anti-gun, since they sell long guns and ammo in all the stores.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    Pol Mordreth wrote:
    IOC into the wal-marts in Smyrna and Murfreesboro all the time. Only issue I had was when a customer at the Smyrna store thought I was doing something wrong and called the police. I had 3 of Smyrnas finest show up to run my permit...
    Maybe I missed it, but...

In TN, is a permit required for one to OC?

Yes it is. They are called Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) in Tn. You can carry either way if you have one.

Post imported post

2006HighSierra wrote:
    ... I've never had anyone show the slightest concern about my Glock in Lowes, Food City or any other businesses.
    What did the managersat these other businessessay when you asked them before carrying there for the first time? Maybe we should go store to store asking everyone their "policy?" Or maybewe could simply do what the law says we can legally do. We're not doing anything wrong, or we? Did you ask if you could park in one of their parking spots before doing so the first time? No, because it's legal and there's nothing "evil" about it.

I know why you did what you did, but whenever we ask we might get an answer we really don't want, like you did. If what we're doing is legal why would we ask in the first place? It kind of implys that we're doing something evil and want to know what they think of our wrongdoings.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    It would be hard to call Walmart anti-gun, since they sell long guns and ammo in all the stores.
    No they assuredly do not. They Richmond, Va. stores stopped selling long guns over a year ago and very little ammo is still stocked. I suspect this will be gone shortly too.

I guess they can't find enough of either "made in China."

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    No they assuredly do not. They Richmond, Va. stores stopped selling long guns over a year ago and very little ammo is still stocked. I suspect this will be gone shortly too.

Yata hey
    I stand corrected then. Let me reword, then. All of the Walmarts that I have been in, so far still sell long guns and ammo.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:

Yata hey
    I stand corrected then. Let me reword, then. All of the Walmarts that I have been in, so far still sell long guns and ammo.
    The WalMart near Kingstowne shopping center in Alexandria, VA doesn't sell long guns anymore. They used to, but I'm not sure when they stopped. They sell ammo, but it's waay back in the corner. And they wouldn't sell me .22LR because I wasn't 21.... but they would sell me .308 winchester and shotgun slugs. I haven't gone back to see if it's cleared up yet, but I need to get on that.

Edit: Update- They called me and have supposedly resolved the issue, so that I may now purchase .22LR.

Post imported post

Folks take a look at the last few entries on this thread:
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/7352-6.html

For every thread you find a name and contact number add it to your phone and when you are approached let them know that these Walmart Senior officials allow weapons carry.

XD-GEM wrote: "This was posted on the PAFOA forum last week. It explains Walmart policy by quoting from an executive with Walmart. " I placed a call to Wal-Mart Corporate. They directed me back down to the Regional Marketing Office. They gave me POC name Cory Confer @ 570-821-6180. I called – he’s out today but the Regional Management Assistant took my info and told me that one of the other Regional Mangers would return my call. So….Mr Robert Reck called me back. 717 Area Code. He was absolutely confident in his tone. He was “at-his-fingertips” clear about Wal-Mart policy. And was absolutely FIRM with his answer. And I was bowled over SHOCKED at how friendly and supportive Mr Reck was. I told him the details of the incident. I didn’t tell Mr. Reck that his manager was condescending at one point. And I didn’t tell Mr. Reck that I drew attention to the manager’s weight. I DID tell Mr Reck that the two managers handled the entire situation without drawing any attention whatsoever to what we were talking about. Now for the shocker – and this is from coming from the Regional Manager servicing areas south of us (717 area code). Mr. Reck was pleased that his managers did not draw attention to the situation. HOWEVER – he was alarmed that the managers made me cover up and even more alarmed that I was told that if I am seen OC’ing in Wal-Mart again…..they’d call DCPD and have me escorted out. He flat out told me that is untrue and his managers were WRONG. They absolutely CANNOT ask customers to cover. Reason is that the managers have no right to demand you to produce your carry permit (though he said they can ask???) and therefore cannot definitively prove that you ARE a valid LTCF holder. Mr Reck was immediately alarmed because he knew that that practice could, invariable, cause a customer to be in a situation where they ARE breaking the law (concealed with no permit). Kudos to him. Point#1 – Wal-Mart Regional Manager Robert Reck said managers are NOT permitted to tell customers to cover….ever. Mr. Reck was even more alarmed that I was told that the DCPD would escort me out if I were seen OC’ing again. He said that is absolutely untrue and that I should NOT be asked to leave the store based on the fact that I have a firearm on my hip. Lawfully armed citizens are welcome in Wal-Mart. Mr. Reck acknowledged that there is new management in place and said that he will absolutely be getting in touch with store #1884 (Dickson City) management to refresh them on how to handle lawfully armed customers. Point#2 – Wal-Mart Regional Manager Robert Reck said managers are NOT permitted to tell customers to leave the store because of lawful firearms carry. SO……how ARE they supposed to handle us? Mr. Reck explained. If another customer were to notify management that they are nervous because they saw another customer with a firearm…..then management WILL approach the armed customer and ask if they have a permit (why he was saying this, I dunno). There isn’t much more that management can do – Mr. Reck says that he trains all his managers to, if in such a situation, approach and introduce and ask if the gun carrier is a permit holder (but they cannot demand it produced). Then the manager is supposed to go BACK to the initial customer who complained and reassure them that the armed customer, for all intensive purposes, is lawfully carrying a firearm. Another thing that Mr. Reck made ABSOLUTELY clear is that managers ARE NOT to tell customers to go back and secure their firearm in their vehicle. Because, he said, first of all, lawfully armed citizens are welcome in Wal-Mart. Secondly, he briefly shared a story about an incident that occurred recently in his jurisdiction…….a manager wrongfully instructed a customer to leave the store and lock the gun in his car….then he may return to the store. Wellllll somebody overheard this and when the gun guy went back into the store, his firearm was stolen from his vehicle. Mr Reck said that incident turned into quite a mess. Point#3 – Wal-Mart Regional Manager Robert Reck said managers are NOT permitted to tell customers to go lock their firearms in their vehicles. So towards the end of our conversation I asked Mr. Reck……”So the next time I visit the Dickson City Wal-Mart, may I be permitted to continue to wear my firearm as I always had?” He said “Absolutely.” He’ll be getting in touch with the 1884 management team to clarify Wal-Marts firearm policy. I’ll let you know next Saturday! __________________ Gary in Pennsylvania""

Post imported post

I'm going to have to agree with the first couple of glocktalk replies.

Post imported post

I'm not sure why ANYONE would really even register at that GlockTalk site. Not since my College days have I seen so much arrogance and Egotisitic Pig headedness. Just looking at your link makes me want to puke. See how Big Headed they were to you ? That's sad that those people even have guns.

ANYWAY,

I think like most here, you'll find the answers here on the forum.

NO COUNTY, NO PARISH, NO CITY, can impose laws that are more strict than the level above them = STATE LAW.

But if a Manager want's to play the Private property game with you, then carry your ass off the property. Just be sure to POLITELY explain that neither you nor ANYONE else in your family will ever shop there again. And be sure to tell them why.

B/c they refuse to allow you your freedoms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast