• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I inquired about carrying at the local walmart today.

2006HighSierra

imported post

I'm gonna post this here since it may be taken slightly better than my beloved Glocktalk where I received *VERY* heavy flak. No one seemed to get the notion that I was inquiring to gauge my ability to OC in this particular store, not just CC as I always have and I'd rather ask than have some wackjob manager running out yelling "OMG, he's got a gun!!"

I always go concealed when in the store and I finally after hearing so many different threads and such about it, decided to inquire locally. I can't recall seeing and signs up(which I went in lawn and garden but that shouldn't matter) and went to the gun counter where a friend of mine works. I had her call the manager up and tell the manager a gentleman was in here inquiring about carrying a handgun with valid TN permit in the store. Over the phone I hear the manager loudly and in a panicked manner ask if the customer was currently armed. So she assured the manager I wasn't which throughout the conversation the manager asked about 3 or 4 more times to double check if I was armed. She said only LEO can carry in the store period. This is in Jacksboro TN and I think its BS. I'm gonna try to get ahold of corporate and ask them. Oh and the reason for no handguns at all is because it scared the customers away according to the manager, and I've never had anyone show the slightest concern about my Glock in Lowes, Food City or any other businesses. So if I *could* OC at this walmart it would be simpler for me when I have to run in for something quick and I'm not dressed to conceal.

here's the glocktalk link

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959757

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!

Before you contact corporate, why not take a moment to search thisforum. The corporate policy is already known and well researched. Just use the search tool at the top right.

Basically, WalMart follows the law of the state in which the store is located, with an exception for one region where a regional manager was given or usurped authority to ban OC or guns, I forget which.

You need to see it for yourself, though. Not take my word for it.

2006HighSierra

imported post

thanks for the welcome and I will try to look over the information. I've saw different things posted on different sites and it's pretty confusing. I do remember reading on here about the state policies being what they followand that's why I figured an innocent inquiry would either have them say that's fine(being a little country town walmart especially) or that they didn't know and would then contact corporate for an educated answer. It's ashame that so many people think OC is just an attention method on GT. If I wanted attention I'd carry my 6" 629 SS in a big gaudy holster.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

You might try sending a copy of your state's laws to that manager along with corporates policy of simply going with individual state law and see where that takes you!

2006HighSierra

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
You might try sending a copy of your state's laws to that manager along with corporates policy of simply going with individual state law and see where that takes you!

Is there any link to the corporate policy that states for stores to abide by state laws? i've been looking and haven't found such yet.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

2006HighSierra wrote:
SNIP It's ashame that so many people think OC is just an attention method on GT. If I wanted attention I'd carry my 6" 629 SS in a big gaudy holster.

(chuckle)

Why not tell them that?

Something else you can do, rather than "explain", is ask them questions.

One of the most effective is, "What have you personally done, today, yourself, to promote the basic human right to self-defense?" "And, yesterday?" "And, the day before?"

Also, realize that from some it will just be thoughtlessly mirroring what they've seen others write without inspecting that information. But from the real die-hards it will be just mindless, emotional chattering, like somany monkeys who feel threatened. The fact of the matter is that they will not have OC'd themselves long enough or frequently enough to have enough genuine first-hand experience upon which to make valid conclusions.

This poster, on the other hand, has nearly two years ofdaily OC in one of the more liberal, soccer-mom, sheeple type regions of the country. I have hadmany, manymore positive encounters with other citizens than negative. I can literally still count the negative encounters on one hand.Therants against OC are nothing more than myths, the ramblings of emotional conclusion jumpers. But don't tell them this.Tact is needed.

Here's another angle. Criticism: "Oh, you just want attention!" Reply: "Of course, I want attention, you idiot! I want people to see that law-abiding citizens can carry the means to self-defense. I want people to stop being mindlessly afraid of guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens." (Probably best to leave out the "idiot" part, though.)

If you want to really see where he is at mentally just ask if a salesman is wrong for wanting attention. If he replies anything negative, you've got him pegged.

Realize also that you are being a salesman when you OC in public. You are selling people on their2A rights.

2006HighSierra

imported post

Citizen wrote:
2006HighSierra wrote:
SNIP It's ashame that so many people think OC is just an attention method on GT. If I wanted attention I'd carry my 6" 629 SS in a big gaudy holster.

(chuckle)

Why not tell them that?

I was gonna tell them that till I found the thread got locked:cuss:

If I can find something to back up the corporate policy statements then I'll stroll on in there. I've had my permit for about a year now and other than a few guys at work asking me who I was gonna shoot jokes, only one individual I didn't know has ever made mention of my Glock and it was a positive inquiry which led to another 2A educated person. Danged ol sheeple.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

2006HighSierra wrote:
I'm gonna post this here since it may be taken slightly better than my beloved Glocktalk where I received *VERY* heavy flak. No one seemed to get the notion that I was inquiring to gauge my ability to OC in this particular store, not just CC
It is never advisable to ask stores or police for advisory opinions on gun carry - you are simply inviting, almost guraranteeing, creation of a policy on the spot against carry. Ask yourself what you would do if you are a low on the food chain employee - tell someone to carry a gun? Think about that.

Don't ask, don't tell applies to open carry.

Just open carry discreetly and minding your own business, do your shopping, and leave the store.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

I have a TN permit, and I carry constantly. I usually carry open, but now that it is winter I'm not doing the 'Virginia tuck' to keep my weapon exposed. That said, IOC into the wal-marts in Smyrna and Murfreesboro all the time. Only issue I had was when a customer at the Smyrna store thought I was doing something wrong and called the police. I had 3 of Smyrnas finest show up to run my permit, and then the store manager came out and told the complainant that if he didn't stop harassing the other customers (me) he'd ban him from the store. I kinda liked that.

Regards,

Pol

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
Welcome to OCDO!

I have a TN permit, and I carry constantly. I usually carry open, but now that it is winter I'm not doing the 'Virginia tuck' to keep my weapon exposed. That said, IOC into the wal-marts in Smyrna and Murfreesboro all the time. Only issue I had was when a customer at the Smyrna store thought I was doing something wrong and called the police. I had 3 of Smyrnas finest show up to run my permit, and then the store manager came out and told the complainant that if he didn't stop harassing the other customers (me) he'd ban him from the store. I kinda liked that.

Regards,

Pol
That could be the best WalMart story that I've read yet! +1 for that manager!

Pol Mordreth

imported post

yeah, apparently this wasn't the first time that this guy called the cops on a customer. One for having a sheath knife on his belt, and another time on someone listening to their stereo a little louder than this guy wuld have liked while waiting in the pharmacy drive thru. The manager was a little angry.

Respect,

Pol

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've OC'd in the Hohenwald store a couple times with a jacket that only partially covered my holstered gun (late night) with no problems. OC'd in the Dickson store day before Thanksgiving (afternoon - lots of customers) with no jacket and holstered weapon fully exposed, no problems at all. Walked right past several store emplyees and not a word from anyone.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My understanding of Wal-Marts policy is that they will obey the law with regards to CC, but not OC.

They are scared it would cause panic. If you do a search on the internet you will see their policy.

Tim_Tennessee

imported post

I'm new to this board too, But I've read a ton of great info here. From what I've read, since you've asked the walmart if you can OC and were told,"no, no one but LEO's can carry", then you cannot CC any more, even though you have done so for awhile. Once you're told by management, it's just as good to you as a 50 ft. sign.

Or am I wrong and need to read more?

Tim

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
IOC into the wal-marts in Smyrna and Murfreesboro all the time. Only issue I had was when a customer at the Smyrna store thought I was doing something wrong and called the police. I had 3 of Smyrnas finest show up to run my permit...
Maybe I missed it, but...

In TN, is a permit required for one to OC?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tim_Tennessee wrote:
I'm new to this board too, But I've read a ton of great info here. From what I've read, since you've asked the walmart if you can OC and were told,"no, no one but LEO's can carry", then you cannot CC any more, even though you have done so for awhile. Once you're told by management, it's just as good to you as a 50 ft. sign.

Or am I wrong and need to read more?

Tim

If they have not posted proper signage and you go in CC they won't know you are armed. The only way they can inforce a "No CC" policy would be to install metal detectors at the all entrances and/or do a pat down of every customer that walks in the door. Walmart isn't going to do that.

Walmart's corporate policy, that I have read, seems to be flexible. Some folks on this board don't like that, or don't quite understand how it works. The policy allows gen managers to deal with the firearms issue at their discretion as long as they do so within compliance of state law that the stores are located. Tn statutes provide private businesses the right to prohibit firearms on their premises. If a gen manager chooses to prohibit firearms they have to post proper signage which is in compliance with Tn statute. If they don't post signage, they can still ask you to lieve if they see you OC. They can't see CC.

It would be hard to call Walmart anti-gun, since they sell long guns and ammo in all the stores.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DrMark wrote:
Pol Mordreth wrote:
IOC into the wal-marts in Smyrna and Murfreesboro all the time. Only issue I had was when a customer at the Smyrna store thought I was doing something wrong and called the police. I had 3 of Smyrnas finest show up to run my permit...
Maybe I missed it, but...

In TN, is a permit required for one to OC?
Yes it is. They are called Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) in Tn. You can carry either way if you have one.

MSgt G

imported post

2006HighSierra wrote:
... I've never had anyone show the slightest concern about my Glock in Lowes, Food City or any other businesses.

What did the managersat these other businessessay when you asked them before carrying there for the first time? Maybe we should go store to store asking everyone their "policy?" Or maybewe could simply do what the law says we can legally do. We're not doing anything wrong, or we? Did you ask if you could park in one of their parking spots before doing so the first time? No, because it's legal and there's nothing "evil" about it.

I know why you did what you did, but whenever we ask we might get an answer we really don't want, like you did. If what we're doing is legal why would we ask in the first place? It kind of implys that we're doing something evil and want to know what they think of our wrongdoings.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
It would be hard to call Walmart anti-gun, since they sell long guns and ammo in all the stores.
No they assuredly do not. They Richmond, Va. stores stopped selling long guns over a year ago and very little ammo is still stocked. I suspect this will be gone shortly too.

I guess they can't find enough of either "made in China."

Yata hey