Thread: OC while driving...

Post imported post

I intend to get a LTCF when I get back to PA (I'm currently deployed, however I'm a PA resident that spends entirely too much time in NC :?) and am aware that PA has reciprocity with VA and NC, however traveling 95 most of the way down I also pass through MD and DE. I was informed that neither MD nor DE offer out of state concealed weapons permits, however OC is legal in both. When traveling with a weapon in the car, what exactly is OC? Does the weapon have to be placed on a seat, or the dash, or can you still carry the weapon in a holster as long as it is visible? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated… Thanks!

State Researcher

Post imported post

First, you cannot carry in Mayland, open or concealed, without a Maryland permit (which is impossible to get), unless you transport an unloaded and properly secured firearm according to 18 U.S.C. § 926A.

Second, as far as permits, you have multiple options. First, you should be able to apply for a PA LTCF by mail. There is no specific requirement in PA law that you apply in person. Also, you may apply for a Florida permit (proof of current military service will fulfill Florida's proof of training requirement), which will add Delaware to the list of states where you may carry concealed.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

Since PA LTCFs are issued by the county in which you live . . . I'm not sure all of them would honor a mailed in request.

For instance in Allegheny County, you apply in person, have your photo taken, and then you come back in a few weeks to pick up your permit. Don't know if they would issue one without the photo.

BTW, in past years, it was a one time trip, getting your photo and permit the same day . . . it takes longer now, because they told me "they do more checks that take longer." Most inconvenient if you ask me to make that second trip (and pay to park twice in Pittsburgh).

Post imported post

There is no such thing as OC in a vehicle.

Post imported post

Renholder5x wrote:
    There is no such thing as OC in a vehicle.
    Your mistaken. In PA there is no such thing as OC in a vehicle.

In Ohio you used to be able toOC while driving if you put your firearm on the dash or passenger seat in the open.

Every state has a different rule, I currently don't have NC, WVa and Virginia's laws handy to cite at present.

To the OP, You may wan't to rethink your route.

I usually take I-76w to I-70sif I'm coming from the Malvern area. Then I'm only in MD for 2.5 mi. or if I'm headed to NC from home then I take I-79s to I-77s to Statesville.

I usually go to Hickory, NC 1 week a month for work.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%

Ed Stephan

An Oath Keeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

Post imported post

I would defintly apply for an out of state CCW in any state that has the best resoprosity I cannot remember what form it is called actuallly I think it is your dd214 and weapons qualifications forms.Plus I think since you would have the training you can get your class 3 which would be pretty sweet to have also.
    One easy way of getting the best states CCW LTCF is to use your home of record state and or change your home of record and get a po box in that state that helps out lots. just my two cents on being an Army kid.