• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Elderly and Disable Concealed Carry

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
http://www.palmpistol.com/

I can't believe that they are actually considering this as a Medicare-reimbursable expense!:lol: Knowing AARP's generally anti-gun stance, I'll bet they have a hissy fit over this one.

All that said, I want one for a backup weapon. Wonder if they'll chamber it in any other calibers?

Had a long conversation with Matt (the genius behind the design) and he says he is looking at moving rom 9mm to .357 Magnum so there is the availability of .38spcl for practice and .357 for social occassions.

Matt seems to be serious and on the right track getting his product approved as a medical device. How lomg has the choir been saying "it's just a tool, like any other"? Well, Matt took that thought and ran with it - a device to prevent sudden-death onset.

As for AARP and how they will react - who cares? They can either ask for $$ to advertise or not. I do not think their readership is the target audience (pardon the pun) anyhow.

I want Matt to succeed so he can move from a single-shot to bringing back the multi-round palm pistols of old, but in a decent caliber.

stay safe.

skidmark

67GT390FB

imported post

Easy-to-Use 'Palm Pistol' Aimed at Elderly, Disabled
Friday, December 05, 2008
foxnews_story.gif

Constitution Arms

A computer rendering showing how the Palm Pistol would be loaded.

A computer rendering showing how the Palm Pistol would be loaded.

You've heard of the Palm Pilot? Well, here's the Palm Pistol.[/b]

Constitution Arms, a small arms manufacturer based in Maplewood, N.J., is taking deposits for what it touts as the world's first ergonomically designed firearm.

Intended for use by the elderly and disabled, the single-shot 9-mm weapon looks like a giant bean grasped in the palm of the hand.

The barrel points out between the user's fingers. You "pull" the trigger by pressing on a thumbed button at the top.

"Point and shoot couldn't be easier," states the blurb on the product's Web site.

Even better, Constitution Arms says it's had it certified by the FDA as a "Class I Medical Device." That means doctors could prescribe the handgun to qualified patients, who would then have some or all of the cost reimbursed by Medicare or private insurance.

The gun will cost about $300. A deposit to get yours when it's ready is $25, though Constitution Arms doesn't say exactly when that will be.

Neplusultra

imported post

I wonder how much the lobbyist got paid for this? Sounds like the Scootabout, or whatever it's called, the electric wheel chair you see on TV. Medicare will pay for it all, and we'll do all the paperwork for you! That's really nice of them to do that for me. Sounds like a businessman's dream. Selling things to people who don't have to pay for it. Yea, I'll take one of everything that's free, maybe two :^).

ScottyT

imported post

Someone on another board mentioned how cool it would be to have one for each hand and chambered in 12 gauge.

I like that people are thinking outside the box and trying to come up with something easier for seniors to use, but this is more than slightly ridiculous. I am sure there are some folks in the target audience who will love it.

TFred

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Someone on another board mentioned how cool it would be to have one for each hand and chambered in 12 gauge.

I like that people are thinking outside the box and trying to come up with something easier for seniors to use, but this is more than slightly ridiculous. I am sure there are some folks in the target audience who will love it.
Ouch! I seriously think that could break a wrist!

TFred

AbNo

imported post

Sounds like someone's been playing too much of the old Shadowrun RPG.

Reacor Sting
The Sting is commonly referred to as a "lemon-squuezer" design, meaning the barrel protrudes from between the firer's index and middle fingers, and the gun is fired by simply making a fist. The circular magazine rotates and automatically loads the next round.
Some guy even did a picture of it and a bunch of others from SR on DeviantArt. It's #4, if you're interested.
http://tinyurl.com/5ckard

redlegagent

imported post

I'll withhold my opinion until more info comes out but this thing appears to have the potential for huge liability. Can it be made child proof?? It is a novel idea.

Tomahawk

imported post

[holds out fist]

I notice that the natural point of aim of my fist is downward at an angle. Only the knucle of my first finger points at what I point my fist at. So if I were to grab this gun and point at somebody in a hurry without practicing first, I would probably miss low.

Dumb.

If this is a better way to hold a handgun, someone would've figured this out in the last 500 years, I would think. Only benefit I can see from this configuration is that the lower barrel results in less muzzle flip, but since it only carries ONE cartridge and can't fire multiple times, what good does that do?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I think its designed to be held that way for people who can't pull a trigger with an index finger and can only use a thumb.

67GT390FB

imported post

interesting concept having our anti government have to pay for firearms. Also since this little gem does not have the appearance of a traditional firearm would it fall into the same class as "penguns", "caneguns" etc.
that is if any are ever built.

World's First Prescription Pistol? Not Happening, FDA Says
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
service_ap_36.gif

Constitution Arms

A computer rendering of the Palm Pistol in use.

It could have been the world's first prescription pistol. The single-bullet Palm Pistol set the Internet abuzz with speculation that Medicare might even pay for the elderly and disabled to pack heat.[/b]

But Monday the Food and Drug Administration said the Palm Pistol doesn't have a shot of being listed as a medical device, and revoked the registration issued to its inventor only last week.

"The FDA has determined the product is not a medical device," the agency said in a statement.

The inventor is crying foul. "I would assume it's due to political pressure," said Matthew M. Carmel, from Maplewood, N.J. He said he's researching a possible appeal.

Medicare, the giant health care program for seniors and the disabled, would have never covered guns for grandmas anyway. "Medicare will not cover it because there is no approved category for weapons," said spokesman Peter Ashkenaz. "So it would not be viewed as reasonable and necessary."

Carmel said the elderly and disabled are easy targets for criminals, and the Palm Pistol could be an equalizer. Shaped like an oval, it fits in your palm. The barrel sticks out through your fingers. And instead of pulling a trigger, you push down on a button with your thumb. No working models exist yet, Carmel added.

But he said he wanted to start advertising to seniors, so he called the FDA and was advised to register his company, Constitution Arms, as a medical device facility and list the Palm Pistol as a "recreational adaptor." The registration seemed to go through without any problems.
FDA spokeswoman Siobhan DeLancey said Carmel apparently got some bad advice from an FDA representative.

And maybe he should have paid more attention to the fine print on the registration notice. It said: "Registering ... does not, in any way, constitute FDA approval of your facility or your devices."

On the Net: