• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Medical Questionnaires

Armed

imported post

Similar scenario a few years ago when "shopping" for a new doctor... First visit, a lot of paperwork, and many offensive questions includingthe gun questions, family history, which I understand the purpose, but still don't think they need to know until a particular problem comes into play....

Add to that.. I refused to show ID and allow them to make a copy of my driver's license (which is in fact, illegal in Virginia), nor would I furnish them with my SSN. Obviously, my first visit was not going well and I hadn't even gotten past the front counter yet.

Eventually, they bring me in to see the doc and he begins by questioning why I won't cooperate. I explain everything to him. He was not aware that it was illegal to copy a driver's license in Virginia. He was unaware (still not sure I believe this one), that the questionnaire included gun questions. His office manager runs the front office, and had obtained generic forms provided by the AMA.

The Doc turned out to be pretty cool - former military guy, so I stuck with him. He had a new office manager by my second visit, and I've never been hasseled since.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Some years ago such a question was on a medical history intake form I filled out when selecting a new doctor after I'd moved. I just left it (and a few other questions) blank, and nothing was said.

This was in Texas, so I would imagine that simply not answering was being extremely polite by local standards. :)

I would also guess that for HMOs and like organizations (this was an HMO I was using), such questions come from bureaucrats in corporate HQ, and may or may not reflect an individual physician's ideas. I still won't answer such.

regards,

GR

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
I agree that safety is a tyrant's tool, but should that mean we also throw out legitimate safety discussions, and eye every mention of "safety" and "firearms" in the same sentence as tyrannical?

Exactly. Sometimes Doug gets a little wrapped up in his generalizing cliches. Just because safety can be used as a tool for control, doesn't mean we get rid of safety all together. As I said before, there are lots of irresponisble parents out there and just as many irresponsible gun owning parents. I can definitely see why they would have a question like that.

Legba

imported post

There are an infinite number of ways kids might get hurt. I've broken a lot of bones and spent quite a lot of time in hospitals for other things as well. I've never been shot, to date, so this "concern for childrens safety" is useless and intrusive.

I've missed out on jobs because of my refusal to sign blanket releases for my medical and credit records. I called a corporate legal department once to remind them that their request for information regarding a recent medical exam was in violation of my HIPAA Act rights. They agreed, and then also agreed not to hire me, presumablybecause I was a troublemaker.

-ljp

Flintlock

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
I agree that safety is a tyrant's tool, but should that mean we also throw out legitimate safety discussions, and eye every mention of "safety" and "firearms" in the same sentence as tyrannical?

Exactly. Sometimes Doug gets a little wrapped up in his generalizing cliches. Just because safety can be used as a tool for control, doesn't mean we get rid of safety all together. As I said before, there are lots of irresponisble parents out there and just as many irresponsible gun owning parents. I can definitely see why they would have a question like that.
It's not the responsibility of the doctor to make your home "safe" and it certainly isn't their business whether or not you own any firearms.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
It's not the responsibility of the doctor to make your home "safe" and it certainly isn't their business whether or not you own any firearms.

It's not their responsibility tomake you eat healthy or exercise and it isn't their business what you do in your free time (drink, smoke, drugs), but that doesn't mean they can't ask you a voluntary question with the intent to help you or your children. If you don't like it, don't answer. But if it prevents even one idiot from leaving his loaded gun on theliving room floor then it haspotentially saved one child's life, and the best part of all is that it didn't hurt anyone. So what's the big deal?

paramedic70002

imported post

http://www.2ampd.net/Articles/horn2/Firearms Malpractice Form.pdf

FIREARMS SAFETY COUNSELING REPRESENTATION:
PHYSICIAN QUALIFICATIONS AND LIABILITY
Part One: Qualifications
I affirm that I am certified to offer (Name of Patient: ), herineafter referred to as
"the Patient", qualified advice about firearms safety in the home, having received:
Specify Course(s) of Study:
on:
Specify Course Completion Date(s):
relating to electricity, drains, disposals, compactors, garage doors, driveway safety, pool safety, pool fence codes and special locks
for pool gates, auto safety, gas, broken glass, stored cleaning chemicals, buckets, toilets, sharp objects, garden tools, home tools,
power tools, lawnmowers, lawn chemicals, scissors, needles, forks, knives, etc. I also acknowledge, by receiving this document, I
have been made aware that, in his inaugural address before the American Medical Association on June 20, 2001, new president
Richard Corlin, MD, admitted "What we don't know about violence and guns is literally killing us...researchers do not have the data
to tell how kids get guns, if trigger locks work, what the warning signs of violence in schools and at the workplace are and other
critical questions due to lack of research funding." (UPI). In spite of this admission, I represent that I have sufficient data and
expertise to provide expert and clinically sound advice to patients regarding firearms in the home.
OR
___ I am knowingly engaging in Home/Firearms Safety Counseling without certification, license or formal training in Risk
Management, and; I have not reviewed applicable scientific literature pertaining to defensive gun use and beneficial results of
private firearms ownership.
Part Two: Liability
I have determined, from a review of my medical malpractice insurance, that if I engage in an activity for
which I am not certified, such as Firearms Safety Counseling, the carrier (check one, as appropriate):
___ will
___ will not
cover lawsuits resulting from neglect, lack of qualification, etc.
Insurance Carrier name, address and policy number insuring me for firearms safety expertise:
resulting from a lawsuit initiated by the patient, the patient's legal reprerentative, or the patient's survivors.
Signature of attesting physician and date: __________________________________________________
Name of attesting physician (please print):__________________________________________________
Signature of patient and date: ____________________________________________________________
Name of patient (please print):____________________________________________________________
Patient: Indicate if physician "REFUSED TO SIGN." Have physician place a copy in your chart/medical record.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

My shooting buddy is my ARNP, so part of my medical exam is always visually inspecting that there is no dust in the muzzle of my carry gun.:p

I've refused to answer, or just lied about that side of things on the questionaires. There was two words that came to mind when being asked that upon my wife'sdischarge questionaire the day after my daughter was born:

"Nunnya Bid-ness."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just write across the top of the questionaire that you are happy to receive helpful literature about non-medical items like child safety.

Flintlock

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

It's not their responsibility tomake you eat healthy or exercise and it isn't their business what you do in your free time (drink, smoke, drugs), but that doesn't mean they can't ask you a voluntary question with the intent to help you or your children. If you don't like it, don't answer. But if it prevents even one idiot from leaving his loaded gun on theliving room floor then it haspotentially saved one child's life, and the best part of all is that it didn't hurt anyone. So what's the big deal?

It's not a big deal, I just think it's totally unnecessary and none of their business what type of personal tools one wishes to use, own, or carry. Do they ask if you have knives, chainsaws, screwdrivers, plastic bags, andbackyard swimming pools? How about cars? Swimming pools and cars are statisticly much more "dangerous" and lethal to childrenthan are firearms.

I guess my point is that firearms ownership is not a "health issue." And with all due respect, the comment about "even if it can save just one child" has been used by theantis to not only promote, but also to pass 2nd amendment infringment legislation. I don't buy those types of comments as being helpful in my fight to protect our rights.

Lastly, I am not in favor of there being another file or database where my personal information on how guns are kept in my homeis cataloged or kept in any way, shape, or form, particularly when I am visiting the office for reasons that are completely irrelavent to the possession of guns.

I also think it would be unethical for a doctor to ask the child these questions separatelywithout parental supervision.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
I also think it would be unethical for a doctor to ask the child these questions separatelywithout parental supervision.

Maybe that's why they have a form, asking YOU. Someone already covered the purpose of the questionnaires. There isn't a mass conspiracy at every turn, looking to take your guns away. Get over it. Some people genuinely do care about the safety of your children. I'm sure that's one reason they went into pediatrics. Take a step outside of yourself and view it from their point of view before you perform a knee-jerk reaction. It's not gun owners against the world, and it's that poor attitude that helps build the stereotypes used by the anti's.

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Maybe that's why they have a form, asking YOU. Someone already covered the purpose of the questionnaires. There isn't a mass conspiracy at every turn, looking to take your guns away. Get over it. Some people genuinely do care about the safety of your children. I'm sure that's one reason they went into pediatrics. Take a step outside of yourself and view it from their point of view before you perform a knee-jerk reaction. It's not gun owners against the world, and it's that poor attitude that helps build the stereotypes used by the anti's.

:lol::lol::lol:HankT :lol::lol::lol:

And Maybe there really is a Tooth Fairy

thorvaldr

imported post

Paladin_Havegun_Willtravel wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
There isn't a mass conspiracy at every turn, looking to take your guns away.

And Maybe there really is a Tooth Fairy
Th problem is that the AMA has taken a decidedly anti gun stance. They have frequently tried to manufacture statistic to characterize gun ownership as a "public health issue". We may sometimes be paranoid, but being paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Th problem is that the AMA has taken a decidedly anti gun stance. They have frequently tried to manufacture statistic to characterize gun ownership as a "public health issue". We may sometimes be paranoid, but being paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.
Well said. :uhoh:

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Paladin_Havegun_Willtravel wrote:

You have no credibility to begin with, but every time you try to say I'm HankT you go further down the shitter.

The HK thing makes me lol though. Since you're obviously unfamiliar with non-domestic guns...

HKCover.jpg

HankT must publish a catalog too. :quirky :lol:

Flintlock

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

I would like to know what knee-jerk reaction I have edivently performed. Great twist of words; I don't recall typing anything about gun owners versus the world. If you like doctors asking you whatever they want to support the purposes of "safety" and then recording it, thenthat's your issue. I choose not to support that notion.

Personally, I go to the doctor to have them diagnose illnesses, perscribe medicines, perform physicals, and monitor general wellness. I don't go to them to have them tell me what is safe in my house and what is not and I certainly don't go to see them for child raising advice unless it may be dietary related. Perhaps you do...?

Furthermore, I seethat your abrasive tone continues. I realize we disagree on most things but I hope you can see that about yourself and the way you post someday. Perhaps you don't care. ButI don't see how you find it always necessary to be so defensiveand draw so many conlcusions about others'posts here.

Merry Christmas.Hope Santa brings you another HK.