• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man With A Gun

Ever been stopped and questioned by LEO because of a "Man with a gun" call?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheMrMitch

imported post

Equinox wrote:
Ever been questioned?

Yup. In 1973 I was stopped leaving New Haven, Ky by the chief of police and asked why I was carrying that "thing" on my hip.

I explained my 2A rights and he backed down. We became friends.:dude:

Questioned several more times at different places, but that one was the best. Had my .45 confiscated in 1969 and again in 1971.....returned both times and charges dropped .....no charges in 1969....car accident..

Lthrnck

imported post

Detained in the city park in Englewood Ohio by 3 LEO's

Was told I would be arrested for Inducing Panice and Disorderly conduct.

Once they found out I knew more about the issue then they did, they backed down, they also change the city law about carrying in the park.

danbus

imported post

Me?

Nah, dude, I've never been questioned. Only stripped of my basic civil rights and given instructions that open carrying "isn't a good idea".

:p

But seriously, yeah, I've been questioned. I can't even recall the amount of questioning I've received since I started carrying. I should just carry a laminated card with answers to all of their questions from now on. :D

The questioning per se goes along the lines of:

• Why are you openly carrying?
  • Do you know it's not a good idea to open carry?
  • Do you have some ID? (my favorite)
  • Why is your hammer cocked back? (when I carry the 1911)
Guess I'm just a cop magnet.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

danbus wrote:
Me?

Nah, dude, I've never been questioned. Only stripped of my basic civil rights and given instructions that open carrying "isn't a good idea".

:p

But seriously, yeah, I've been questioned. I can't even recall the amount of questioning I've received since I started carrying. I should just carry a laminated card with answers to all of their questions from now on. :D

The questioning per se goes along the lines of:

• Why are you openly carrying?
  • Do you know it's not a good idea to open carry?
  • Do you have some ID? (my favorite)
  • Why is your hammer cocked back? (when I carry the 1911)
Guess I'm just a cop magnet.

Danbus, you don't count. Cops have your picture hanging in their roll call rooms as the "Victim de jour".

Question. Do you think that most copswhohave stopped you been rookies?

gruntpain1775

imported post

I have been stopped twice, both times I was threatened with arrest. 2nd time was actually the worse one, The officer actually told me at least 12 times I was under arrest but he never placed me in cuffs.

markand

imported post

Was one of the Tony's 7 guys just short of 2 years ago. Brief summary:
  1. 7 guys, including myself, OC'ing in a pizza shop (Tony's) in Manassas, VA
  2. One restaurant patron engaged several of us using objectionable language and calling us "morons" for OC'ing (we probably should have called police ourselves when he did so)
  3. We sat down and ate a meal, he did so a few tables away
  4. Guy left after about 45 minutes and called 911 with a "men with guns" complaint. Dispatcher knew OC was legal and tried to explain it, but he wanted police response. I am of the opinion that this "citizen" would have liked nothing better than to have us harmed by police, but I can't prove that.
  5. Dispatcher sends 1 officer, several others, apparently the entire on-duty force that night, "pile on" to the call.
  6. Police are belligerent, don't know VA law, try to get us to conceal, etc.
  7. Two officers twist arm of owner and get him to tell us to "get the f%$# out", in the words of one of the officers.
  8. I am personally cursed at 4 times by one officer (a crime in itself in VA, albeit a minor one).
  9. Supervisor on the scene refuses to speak with me when I attempt to explain and offer copies of documents, including state police web page on OC in restaurants. Nearby officer curses me a final time, saying, "We don't want to see your damn papers..."
  10. Given the lack of control exercised by the supervisor and unprofessional demeanor of the officers, I become concerned the incident will result in escalation to a more physical level, so we leave.
  11. In coming days, FOIA's wrest details from police. It was worse than we had thought, after reviewing police emails and documents. Police conduct during and after was awful.
  12. Formal complaints are filed by myself and others.
  13. Hundreds of VCDL and OCDO members pack 2 Manassas city council meetings.
  14. Police chief releases report essentially white washing the conduct of his officers.
Despite the white-wash, some good comes of the event. Awareness of Virginia OC laws among police is raised yet again. Two previous and largely similar incidents had already taken place in nearby Fairfax County.

Some relevant links, for those interested:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1486&forum_id=54&highlight=tony

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1681&forum_id=54&highlight=tony

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1834&forum_id=54&highlight=tony

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1891&forum_id=54&highlight=tony

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2639&forum_id=54&highlight=tony

SouthernBoy

imported post

markand wrote:
Was one of the Tony's 7 guys just short of 2 years ago. Brief summary:
  1. 7 guys, including myself, OC'ing in a pizza shop (Tony's) in Manassas, VA
  2. One restaurant patron engaged several of us using objectionable language and calling us "morons" for OC'ing (we probably should have called police ourselves when he did so)
  3. We sat down and ate a meal, he did so a few tables away
  4. Guy left after about 45 minutes and called 911 with a "men with guns" complaint. Dispatcher knew OC was legal and tried to explain it, but he wanted police response. I am of the opinion that this "citizen" would have liked nothing better than to have us harmed by police, but I can't prove that.
  5. Dispatcher sends 1 officer, several others, apparently the entire on-duty force that night, "pile on" to the call.
  6. Police are belligerent, don't know VA law, try to get us to conceal, etc.
  7. Two officers twist arm of owner and get him to tell us to "get the f%$# out", in the words of one of the officers.
  8. I am personally cursed at 4 times by one officer (a crime in itself in VA, albeit a minor one).
  9. Supervisor on the scene refuses to speak with me when I attempt to explain and offer copies of documents, including state police web page on OC in restaurants. Nearby officer curses me a final time, saying, "We don't want to see your damn papers..."
  10. Given the lack of control exercised by the supervisor and unprofessional demeanor of the officers, I become concerned the incident will result in escalation to a more physical level, so we leave.
  11. In coming days, FOIA's wrest details from police. It was worse than we had thought, after reviewing police emails and documents. Police conduct during and after was awful.
  12. Formal complaints are filed by myself and others.
  13. Hundreds of VCDL and OCDO members pack 2 Manassas city council meetings.
  14. Police chief releases report essentially white washing the conduct of his officers.
Despite the white-wash, some good comes of the event. Awareness of Virginia OC laws among police is raised yet again. Two previous and largely similar incidents had already taken place in nearby Fairfax County.

Some relevant links, for those interested:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1486&forum_id=54&highlight=tony

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1681&forum_id=54&highlight=tony

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1834&forum_id=54&highlight=tony

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1891&forum_id=54&highlight=tony

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2639&forum_id=54&highlight=tony
I followed this when it happened in '07. I didn't know that the caller used questionable language or that he even engaged in any sort of discourse with all of you. May I ask what he said? I have spoken with a Manassas LEO who was not present during the encounter, but of course, knew about it. He felt his fellow officers, in particular the female, overreacted and conducted themselves improperly.

The Tony's 7 incident was a bit of a watershed in open carry with local police. Have you heard of any more problems with the Manassas police department regarding OC?

Thanks.

As for the poll. I have never had a negative encounter with any LEO; state, county, or local. On top of that, I have never had a negative encounter with a citizen, either. And only a few :what:eek:f these.

okiephlyer

imported post

Was visiting Manassas and peacefully OC'ing. Riding the elevator in the hotel, a couple ofmen got on. They asked a few questions, I politely answered, they identified themselves as out of state FBI. They were obviously not happy about the situation, I wasamused with their discomfort, we went our separate ways. End of story.

Michigander

imported post

I have been stopped by cops while OCing, but never because I was OCing. They had RS to believe I was breaking into my car, but it was my own car. ;)

SouthernBoy

imported post

oklaccer wrote:
Was visiting Manassas and peacefully OC'ing. Riding the elevator in the hotel, a couple ofmen got on. They asked a few questions, I politely answered, they identified themselves as out of state FBI. They were obviously not happy about the situation, I wasamused with their discomfort, we went our separate ways. End of story.
Very interesting. Of course, it's none of their business and I imagine they would have no jurisdiction anyway (think this has been covered on this site with someone else a while back).

From time to time, I see DC police cars in my area (God only knows why), and I have to wonder what they might think when seeing someone OC'ing here in Virginia. Again, they have no authority or power in our state so what they might think or attempt to do is of no concern to us.

BTW, hope you enjoyed your stay here.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
oklaccer wrote:
Very interesting. Of course, it's none of their business and I imagine they would have no jurisdiction anyway (think this has been covered on this site with someone else a while back).

From time to time, I see DC police cars in my area (God only knows why), and I have to wonder what they might think when seeing someone OC'ing here in Virginia. Again, they have no authority or power in our state so what they might think or attempt to do is of no concern to us.

BTW, hope you enjoyed your stay here.

They do not have jurisdiction unless asked by state or local authorities . It is a violation of internal FBI policy for them to identify themselves and show their credentials, unless in the line of duty. So they were WAY off the reservation. They can be suspended for what they did.

Regards

markand

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I didn't know that the caller used questionable language or that he even engaged in any sort of discourse with all of you. May I ask what he said?
Have you heard of any more problems with the Manassas police department regarding OC?

To me personally, he said we were "morons", "idiots", and I believe "a__holes" for carrying firearms openly. I am given to understand he had even stronger words with others in our party. Saidhe was a "former Marine" and he didn't care about whether what we were doing was legal or not. In the 911 recording, he said to the dispatcher he was "uncomfortable" with all of us carrying firearms, and we "might be about to shoot the place up" or words to that effect. I believe from his words and tone in the 911 call, he was trying to goad thepolice into responding with the most aggressive response possible. "Aren't you interested in that?" he said to the dispatcher at one point. He had been watching us quietly eat our meal for nearly an hour and had to have known we were not about to "shoot the place up". My take is he didn't like what we were doing and was quite happy to have his will forced upon us by police,at gunpoint if necessary. Some people are truly intolerant and quite insistent upon having their will rammed down the throat of others. I explored the possibility of pursuing the caller legally, but there wasn't reallyanylegal basis for doing so.

I haven't been back to the area since and have spent most of the last 2 years in upstate NY, where non-residents can't even possess a handgun. :cry: Ihaven't heard of any major problems in Manassas. I think the event was kind of a watershed. Most (but not all) police in VA seem to have a handle on OC and CC law and behave professionally. As they say, the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.