• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man With A Gun

Ever been stopped and questioned by LEO because of a "Man with a gun" call?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
oklaccer wrote:
Was visiting Manassas and peacefully OC'ing. Riding the elevator in the hotel, a couple ofmen got on. They asked a few questions, I politely answered, they identified themselves as out of state FBI. They were obviously not happy about the situation, I wasamused with their discomfort, we went our separate ways. End of story.
Very interesting. Of course, it's none of their business and I imagine they would have no jurisdiction anyway (think this has been covered on this site with someone else a while back).

From time to time, I see DC police cars in my area (God only knows why), and I have to wonder what they might think when seeing someone OC'ing here in Virginia. Again, they have no authority or power in our state so what they might think or attempt to do is of no concern to us.

BTW, hope you enjoyed your stay here.

They do not have jurisdiction unless asked by state or local authorities . It is a violation of internal FBI policy for them to identify themselves and show their credentials, unless in the line of duty. So they were WAY off the reservation. They can be suspended for what they did.

Regards
I think I remember reading about not having jurisdiction unless asked (unless a federal crime was committed), but I didn't know about showing their ID's when not supposed to. Guess this could be a tool we could use if the need were ever to arise.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

markand wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I didn't know that the caller used questionable language or that he even engaged in any sort of discourse with all of you. May I ask what he said?
Have you heard of any more problems with the Manassas police department regarding OC?

To me personally, he said we were "morons", "idiots", and I believe "a__holes" for carrying firearms openly. I am given to understand he had even stronger words with others in our party. Saidhe was a "former Marine" and he didn't care about whether what we were doing was legal or not. In the 911 recording, he said to the dispatcher he was "uncomfortable" with all of us carrying firearms, and we "might be about to shoot the place up" or words to that effect. I believe from his words and tone in the 911 call, he was trying to goad thepolice into responding with the most aggressive response possible. "Aren't you interested in that?" he said to the dispatcher at one point. My take is he didn't like what we were doing and was quite happy to have his will forced upon us by police,at gunpoint if necessary. Some people are truly intolerant and quite insistent upon having their will rammed down the throat of others. I explored the possibility of pursuing the caller legally, but there wasn't reallyanylegal basis for doing so.

I haven't been back to the area since and have spent most of the last 2 years in upstate NY, where non-residents can't even possess a handgun. :cry: Ihaven't heard of any major problems in Manassas. I think the event was kind of a watershed. Most (but not all) police in VA seem to have a handle on OC and CC law and behave professionally. As they say, the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Most interesting and informative. Thanks for the response.

Legba

imported post

As for the OP...

No, but I've been told that someone called it in and that the police were looking for "the guy with the 9mm" while walking home carrying (the caller guessed the caliber correctly. Probably the only one they'd ever heard of). I guess walking down the street in plain sight frustrated the cops who must have been combing the alleys or something - they never approached me in any case.

-ljp

markand

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
From time to time, I see DC police cars in my area (God only knows why), and I have to wonder what they might think when seeing someone OC'ing here in Virginia. Again, they have no authority or power in our state so what they might think or attempt to do is of no concern to us.
The part about "they have no authority or power in our state" is not necessarily correct. According to prior posts (see below) there apparently is a federal law that says if you are caught with a gun at a Smithsonian facility, like the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum in VIRGINIA near Dulles airport, including the parking lot, you will be brought before a DC magistrate, locked up in a DC jail and prosecuted under DC law. Probably hauled off to said jail by a DC cop as well.

Links:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1388&forum_id=54

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=14484&forum_id=54&highlight=udvar-hazy

Huck

imported post

I've had about4 instances, all herein Wyoming,where LEOs easily saw that I was carrying but Igot either no reaction or a nod from them.

On the 19th December 2008I was in a minor accident on I-80 here in Wyoming and when the Highway Patrolman arrivedI told him thatI was carrying (it was dark and snowing soI dont think he saw it) and he just smiled and said "if you dont show me yours, I wont show you mine". I said "thats sounds like a deal!" and we both laughed.

III

okiephlyer

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
oklaccer wrote:
Was visiting Manassas and peacefully OC'ing. Riding the elevator in the hotel, a couple ofmen got on. They asked a few questions, I politely answered, they identified themselves as out of state FBI. They were obviously not happy about the situation, I wasamused with their discomfort, we went our separate ways. End of story.
Very interesting. Of course, it's none of their business and I imagine they would have no jurisdiction anyway (think this has been covered on this site with someone else a while back).

Yep. That was probably me. I wrote a much more detailed account of the encounter right after it happened.

Had a great time.

okiephlyer

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
oklaccer wrote:

They do not have jurisdiction unless asked by state or local authorities . It is a violation of internal FBI policy for them to identify themselves and show their credentials, unless in the line of duty. So they were WAY off the reservation. They can be suspended for what they did.

Regards

Just to clarify, they never produced a badge. It was just a conversation in an elevator. Whole encounter took about a minute.

okiephlyer

imported post

I had a brief encounter a few months back. In Oklahoma you are required to identify yourself as carrying when stopped by law enforcement during traffic stops and a few other instances. I was on my way to work and stopped at a roadblock outside town. The Highway patrolman said they were looking for 3 escaped convicts. I said that I had a CWL and did indeed have a CW with me. He asked if I knew what to do with it. I replied in the affirmative. He smiled and told me to have a nice day and waved me on my way.

I would mark this a a very positive encounter.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Equinox wrote:
Ever been questioned?
Oh yes. ID & CHP demanded for open carry. No arrest as I walked away after not getting a reply to whether I was being detained - asked repeatedly. Gave my name verbally but did not respond to the demand (not request) for papers.

I have photos and digital audio but have so far been denied requests for FOI. Reason given was "on going criminal investigation." It's not over yet - being pursued through other channels.

Yata hey