• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry experience at REI in Tukwila (Southcenter)

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I've been open carrying for a few days now (Lincoln Square and Bellevue Square Mall, and random stores in between).

The wife and I were out around Southcenter tonight (don't worry we didn't go in the mall proper!).

We went to Zoopa's where we spent almost an hour and a half (a woman at the front needed directions, and then computer help once she saw me pull out my Mogul w/ Google maps :lol:). My wife says one of the staff saw my weapon, and disappeared out back. Moments later a troupe of employees came flooding into the kitchen to see what was going on. Most of them rolled their eyes and walked away. Nobody gave us any trouble.

Then we spent over an hour at Sport's Authority where the same woman asked us if we were doing okay 3 or 4 different times, but left us alone otherwise.

The interesting experience was when were leaving REI (we went there after we couldn't find what we needed at Sport's Authority). We had been there for about 3 hours, as we were building two survival kits for hiking/camping. The last 2 hours we were helped by a really nice associate named Matthew who already had a kit prepared for himself that he takes on every hike.

Well at around 9:20pm (20 mins after closing) we finally made our way up to the front with Matthew in tow. Nobody had mentioned anything about my weapon yet. As my wife and I were talking to the female cashier about our REI membership I heard a man asking Matthew something like "What's that". I turned around, and asked Matthew, "What'd I miss??". Matthew said the guy was asking about my "gun".

The other man (who happened to be the Assistant Store Manager, name available upon pm request) seemed curious and asked, "Do you need a permit for that?". I said, "Not for open carry". He said, "Really, in this state?!". I responded, "Actually Washington's been better about that for longer than most states", and then handed him one of Surfj9009 pamphlets that I had in my jacket. Matthew saw the exchange and said, "You must carry those around with you everywhere." To which I responded, "You bet!". :lol:

Thanks surfj9009!

The manager seemed to have an "I'll be darned reaction" more than anything else, as he started to read the pamphlet. He tried to hand it back, but I said keep it I have plenty more at home :D.

The funniest part was as we were leaving the female cashier finally saw my strongside, and said (very loudly), "That's a huge weapon! ...I'm impressed!" I wasn't sure how to respond, so I said thanks, and we left.

I suppose my Baer TRS is a bit bigger than what I carry when I conceal (Kahr P9) :lol::

Anyways, hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting my experience. I didn't get any policies in writing, so I know this won't be added to the list, but I figured it couldn't hurt to share.

sirpuma

imported post

Awe, that's a cute one. I wouldn't exactly call it big. But it is nice. Glad you had a good experience. Now if you had a Desert Eagle or a .44 AutoMag, then THAT would be big. hehe.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I looked at a few DE's at the gun store (was thinking about getting a .50 AE before ban season). They're HUGE! Way too big to serve any useful purpose in my armory, at least that's what I'll keep telling myself until I can afford one.

However, this would be cool on my right leg :D:

http://serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

I'm glad it was a good experience too. To be honest, I was expecting every other person to accost me based on some of the experiences on here. I guess open carry confrontations are like dropping a motorcycle. It's easy to exaggerate what might happen in your mind, until it actually happens once.

j2l3

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
The funniest part was as we were leaving the female cashier finally saw my strongside, and said (very loudly), "That's a huge weapon! ...I'm impressed!" I wasn't sure how to respond, so I said thanks, and we left.
Anyways, hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting my experience. I didn't get any policies in writing, so I know this won't be added to the list, but I figured it couldn't hurt to share.

Nex ttime try responding, "Thanks, my wife thinks so too..."

:shock:

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
diesel556 wrote:

Nex ttime try responding, "Thanks, my wife thinks so too..."

:shock:
Lol. I've never been the "quick as a whip" type; Instead, "Dang I should have said that!"

jchen012 wrote:
How wasyour experience at Bellevue Square and Lincoln Square?
We parked on level 5 under Lincoln Square. Entered Bellevue Square mall through the sky bridge. We went to two stores, Victoria Secret and Coach. Yeah, I know, but the wife had just taken me to the gun store :D.

We spent around an hour in Victoria with me walking around in circles (bored pacing in front of the populated cash registers) with no comment from anyone.

We spent over an hour in Coach and were helped by an associate the entire time. My weapon was clearly visible, but again not even an eye was batted (to my face at least).

We walked around the mall for a few minutes after that, before heading back across the skybridge to Lincoln Square to watch a movie. We didn't have any trouble purchasing tickets, or food/popcorn and nobody showed up during the show to kick us out ;).

All in all a good experience, though not nearly as positive as REI was. I did find a policy written in that horrible white text next to the glass doors on the Lincoln Square side of the skybridge. I attempted to take pictures with my phone, but they didn't come out. As I was crouched down taking pictures one of the maintenance staff, and some other staff member (management?) stopped and asked what I was doing. I told them I was trying to take a picture of the rules (DUH! :lol:). My wife says that the staff member did a double take when she saw my weapon, but they both said OK, and walked away.

I'm not sure that I would open carry there if I didn't have time available for an incident. Just because I wasn't harassed this time, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Tawnos

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
How wasyour experience at Bellevue Square and Lincoln Square?
My personal experience there has always been nil - that is, nobody says anything. I don't know if it's never been seen or if I'm just not scary enough looking for anyone to care.