• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and Crime

Does Open Carry Deter Crime or Attact Crime?

• Total voters

demnogis

imported post

I have to pick at the first paragraph of your response...

If we hadn't gone into Iraq we...
• Would have many young individuals at home, with their families and in good careers. Oh, and alive.
• I would not know so many people with purple hearts.

Just 2, non-political reasons.

As to the other parts of your response, I'm guessing there have been a lot of armored car robberies? The armed handler isn't deterrent enough? Maybe... The guards are taught that if faced with an armed assailant, the money isn't worth a person getting hurt (the service and money are insured, right?).

But also keep in mind, we (as a society) have punishments that are far worse for theft involving money than causing physical harm to a single person...

SANDCREEK wrote:
It's hard to document something that DIDN'T happen. Just like with all the condemnation President Bush has received for invading Iraq- we'll never know what chain of events might have unfolded during the last 5 years - had we NOT gone in there.

Criminals will ALWAYS by their nature either avoid any possible threat, or employ tactics designed to surprise, out-manuever, or overwhelm any potential threat. I am reflecting on the frequency of armored car robberies recently , and apparently ongoing throughout our modern history.

That having been said - consider the apparent lack of much deterent against bank robberies. Perhaps the armored transport industry is pretty much "asleep" at the wheel. I don't know - but that occupation is getting very dangerous of late. The problem may be those securely holstered weapons can be overcome by sheer surprise and audacity. I guess this is something WE OC'ers should keep up front in our minds.

Mini14

imported post

.'Raiding for Guns'. is what anti-open carry advocatesspeak of. Think the American West of 1877, or the1904 Herrero Rebellion. Most commonly, it was primitive people ambush-murdering people for theirWinchesters, Webleys, and Mausers.

Since many guns today aresemiautomatics, that tactic is suicidally retarded; even the Taliban doesn't raid for guns. I had a vicious family stop messing with me, once they found out that I owned an SKS.

Pagan

imported post

I know that when I see another person carrying a firearm for self defense, I can assume that person means business, and demands respect as a citizen and a human being. I can only imagine that criminals preying on their fellow citizens see it the same way. So I voted for deterrent.

Carry on

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I didn't vote becuase I am looking at this from a different angle. I feel it does attract crime, Specifically criminal behavior from the police officers that detain, arrest, andharrass the citizens that legally open carry. Not the type of crime I think you were going after.

GLOCKMAN40

imported post

YES, i have always said that it is the way you carry yourself that makes the differnce , i open carry where i live when i can and when the weather lets me, and the way i carry myself you would think i was a cop, not that this is the look i am going for , its just the way i dress when i carry and thats all the time, i carry myself in a manner that lets people know that they are to take me serious in this world we live in, Im not trying to look like a cop or act as one , its just the way i Am. open carry is a way of life thatencompasses the whole being that should influences everything from your wardrobe to your social interactions. It should keep you in your daily task in condition yellow .Pol Mordreth wrote:
I have noticed on 3 seperate occasions that my OC made specific people rapidly leave a store or restaraunt that I was patronizing. Based on their appearance, I can only assume that they thought I was a cop, and wanted to get out of where I was.

Respectfully,

Pol

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I look like a cowboy.Prob'ly 'causeI am a cowboy. I don't carry a 'cowboy' gun but a 1911-A1... cowboy style (altho not inna cowboy tooled leather holster). At any rate... nobodyhas threatened me... or acted in such a manner. (Anywhere but here) since I've carried.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
I look like a cowboy.Prob'ly 'causeI am a cowboy. I don't carry a 'cowboy' gun but a 1911-A1... cowboy style (altho not inna cowboy tooled leather holster). At any rate... nobodyhas threatened me... or acted in such a manner. (Anywhere but here) since I've carried.
+1 on the bolded part. Try walking through defensivecarry.com if you feel, umm, looked strangely at on this forum!
Thats not the choir -that's the College of Cardinals. :lol:

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dustin wrote:
80 Votes for Deter.

Who'd a guessed ?
There have been over 1300 views of this thread - wish more would speak up - and exercise their prerogative - it is anonymous.

Still we are showing 100% of those that choose to "pull the lever."

Have to admit that in all of the years I have OCd - I've never been robbed, mugged, assaulted nor disarmed. Must just be lady luck.:lol:

Yata hey

NightOwl

imported post

demnogis wrote:
As to the other parts of your response, I'm guessing there have been a lot of armored car robberies? The armed handler isn't deterrent enough? Maybe... The guards are taught that if faced with an armed assailant, the money isn't worth a person getting hurt (the service and money are insured, right?).
Actually, that's not all that precise of a response. The driver stays in his cab at all times. The money handler is the one moving the money. If an incident occurs, the driver is supposed to drive off immediately, and leave the other guy behind (I assume on the premise that if someone wants to steal the money, and the money leaves, the guy left behind isn't a target).

Nitrox314

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
99% deterrent, 1% attractant. My thoughts only. 99% of the criminals out there are looking for the easiest victim they can find...someone OC is not an easy victim. The 1% might be the bank robbers or whatever, who will shoot the armed guy first. I prefer to have the odds in my favor and bet on the 99% and deter a criminal from making me a target, vice protecting myself once they have made me a target.
But, if they are already planning on robbing the bank and to shoot anyone who is armed, would you OCing really be the attractant? They already had it planned whether or not you were OCing.

Dahwg

imported post

Nitrox314 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
99% deterrent, 1% attractant. My thoughts only. 99% of the criminals out there are looking for the easiest victim they can find...someone OC is not an easy victim. The 1% might be the bank robbers or whatever, who will shoot the armed guy first. I prefer to have the odds in my favor and bet on the 99% and deter a criminal from making me a target, vice protecting myself once they have made me a target.
But, if they are already planning on robbing the bank and to shoot anyone who is armed, would you OCing really be the attractant? They already had it planned whether or not you were OCing.

A bank robber planning to rob a bank takes into account all known factors. He knows there's going to be an armed guard, he knows where the tellers are and he probably has planned where to go and how to proceed in his quest to get the cash andhow much time he has to pull it all off. An armed citizen OC OR CC will throw a wrench in the works.

The hypothesis of a private citizen being the first shot is not at all well founded. It is worst-case scenario guesswork at best. The proof is that most people don't notice that I'm carrying when I OC because they're not expecting to see it. Merely having a device hanging off my belt means nothing in the age of high tech belt gadgets.