• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry the gun you do?

What is your top factor in choosing to carry the gun you do? You can choose only one.

• Accesories Available

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brand

• Bullet Capacity

• Ease of Use

• Look

• Other

• Reliability

• Weight

• Total voters

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
I had to vote other, because although caliber and reliability were the factors that got me down to three or four handguns, i ultimately picked the one I carry based on how it felt in my hand.

Regards,

Pol

+1

This is a good answer, but I would add that in my case versatility is important. Things like caliber conversion are very nice features. Your poll should allow for multiple answers because for most people it is not just one thing.

squisher

imported post

Had to pick size, although caliber, reliability and "ease of use" were also important.

Size for me though, was more for shootability -- so I went full-framed with a PT92 :)

bcbrown2

imported post

Size, weight, and reliability define what I'll carry on a given day. I'm more than "combat" accurate with either weapon.

Glock 19 -- light, compact reliable, large magazine capacity
Kimber Custom II -- firepower, reliability (once it gets back from NY), accuracy, durability

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Am I the only other "to scare the sheeple out there, especialy the establishment" :lol:

Actually a simple "to study the reactions of fellow man,
and see if there is still hope for humanity"
(so far doesn't look good):uhoh:

Sheepdawg: Where did you get your holster?

I can't find an active retention for my little 8" wildey, and my march deadline is
approaching fast. I've given up looking and will be casting one over the christmas
break. Can't think of a more fitting end to my saturn tranny case, than to protect
and serve on my hip.
Now to polish the aluminum, or go with a matte finish?
Do you contrast, or match the pistol finish? Don't think inconspicuous is an option
either way, and don't know how to black annodize yet, maybe a future project.
Martha Stuart never covered this fashion dillemma, and now she can't.

Hcidem

imported post

I had to choose caliber since this was the over-riding factor in making the choice. After I selected caliber, however, I quickly researched reliability to narrow my selections to the gun I settled on purchasing.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Other -My PPK/S was given to me as a graduation present. It was requested by myself based on the fact that it was the James Bond gun. (I had little firearms knowledge at the time).

I first started looking at my SW99 while I was searching for a P99. I wanted the P99 because it was the new James Bond gun :D. After firing one, however, I became much more interested in it because it felt perfect in my hands. It truly is the most comfortable, straight-shooting semi-auto I have ever fired. I ended up getting my SW99 because it was available and much cheaper than the equivalent P99. At the time I would have preferred a 9mm, but I got stuck with a .40 cal. Now I love the .40, and will probably never own a 9mm.

So basically, I bought my gun because I thought it looked cool, felt good in my hands, and settled for it because it was cheap, even though it wasn't the caliber I was looking for, lol. It turned out to be the best purchase I've ever made. (btw, she's been 100% reliable after 1000's of rounds).

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I shot predominantly glocks every time I went to the range when I was growing up.
This was mostly a G19 as well. I tried a G23 and loved it, and put almost 1000 rounds threw a rented gun over the course of a year. Then I purchased one. Then I was trying a friends 26, and liked it, so I got a G27.

Sheepdawg

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Am I the only other "to scare the sheeple out there, especialy the establishment" :lol:

Actually a simple "to study the reactions of fellow man,
and see if there is still hope for humanity"
(so far doesn't look good):uhoh:

Sheepdawg: Where did you get your holster?

I can't find an active retention for my little 8" wildey, and my march deadline is
approaching fast. I've given up looking and will be casting one over the christmas
break. Can't think of a more fitting end to my saturn tranny case, than to protect
and serve on my hip.
Now to polish the aluminum, or go with a matte finish?
Do you contrast, or match the pistol finish? Don't think inconspicuous is an option
either way, and don't know how to black annodize yet, maybe a future project.
Martha Stuart never covered this fashion dillemma, and now she can't.
here's a link to the one I got

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/440.html

Harvey041

imported post

I carry a S&W 686 4 inch barrel with .357 Corbon 125gr HP loads. I carry because I am most accurate with it out of all my firearms I own.

dscn0013zf3.jpg

squisher

imported post

Harvey041 wrote:
I carry a S&W 686 4 inch barrel with .357 Corbon 125gr HP loads. I carry because I am most accurate with it out of all my firearms I own.

dscn0013zf3.jpg
Now that's a purdy shootin' iron right there!

Maybe after I get a 1911 I'll pick up a nice wheelgun :)

340mopar

imported post

more than one option should be avail....

My GLOCK: Brand, Bullet Capacity, Caliber, Ease of Use, Reliability, Size, etc.

My Randall: 1911, Bullet Capacity, Caliber, Ease of Use, Reliability, Size, etc.

O and well cause they both look so cool! :what:

Dannytheman

imported post

I chose my Walther PPK 380because of it's size. It packs flat when on my hip, and fits nicely on velcro ankle holster.

I have a fewothers, but this seems to be my work horse!When I wear shorts in the summer I toss aColt Pony 25 auto in my pocket!

nova

imported post

Reliability. All else comes second, because a gun is no good if you can't count on it to function perfectly EVERY time you pull the trigger. No excuses. Your life depends on it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If I had to give one reason I carry the gun I do, it would be "because it's a 1911".

Problem is, that begs the question, and there are dozens of reasons why a 1911 is a good gun to carry. ;)

SlackwareRobert

imported post

marshaul wrote:
If I had to give one reason I carry the gun I do, it would be "because it's a 1911".

Problem is, that begs the question, and there are dozens of reasons why a 1911 is a good gun to carry. ;)
Ther are only dozens of reasons if you have your spare mag on you.:celebrate