• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

recent handgun purchaser w Q's

concerned citizen

imported post

I am 24 years old. I grew up w/ 22 rifles, a 6mm rifle, a shotgun, and a 22 revolver. My family is not into hunting, just plinking. I am familiar w gun safety, but am a bit new to semi auto handguns. I do not want to get a concealed carry permit.

My question is:what are the regs on carrying my handgun? Opencarry.comsays I can carry openly if it is two movements away from firing, ie loaded clip, empty chamber. Can I carry it concealed if I dont have the clip in?

Opencarry.com also says I need a permit to open carry in my car. Is that only if it is loaded? Is that on my belt/in my pocket? So I have to stick it in the glove box before I start driving, and then put it back on when I get where Im going? That seems kinda dumb, but then no one ever said our nations laws made sense anymore.

I would also like to host an open carry activity in Logan, Ut. What is the best way to go about it. What are the things I need to be careful of? How can I attract "good" publicity? My parents taught me the importance of the second amendment, and I want to do my part. I have four brothers and my dad that would enjoy being a part of something like this. Sorry this is kinda long. thanks.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Welcome.

In addition to the info on this site and what members will happily provide, I highly encourage four additional resources:

1-Get a copy of Mitch Vilo's book, "Utah Gun Laws: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly."

2-Become familiar with the actual language in Utah's statutes. Mitch's book will help a LOT with that and I also suggest getting familiar with the State webpage that contains the statutes. It is at <http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/code.htm>. Start in 76-10-5xx and then work from there.

3-Take a concealed weapons permit course. Mitch teaches these classes, as does Clark Aposhian and a host of others. Even if you never want to carry concealed, or even get a permit, the class is well worth the time and money. It focuses mostly on off limits locations (for those with permits, the list is a bit longer if you don't have a permit) and most importantly, USE of deadly force laws.

4-Sign up for email alerts from GOUtah! (Gun Owners of Utah) by PMing me your email address or visiting <http://www.goutahorg.org> and signing up. Very low volume, only about 1 email a day during the legislative session, about 1 a month the rest of the year, and we NEVER ask you for money, just a phone call or email to legislators to keep them on the right track as voting on bills and such.

ANYONE who is going to even own, much less carry a gun for self defense is well advised to KNOW when he is allowed to threaten or actually use deadly force, to have given some thought to what to do if he ever does have to use his gun, etc.

Plus, if you are not wholly opposed to the permit it offers a lot of advantages:
It allows you carry fully loaded both on your person and in your car;
It exempts you from the gun free school act so you can legally carry within 1000' of schools;
It allows you to legally carry in some 30 States other than Utah;
It exempts you from the $7.50 charge for Brady Background check when buying a new gun;
It gives you the option to conceal carry or casually conceal which can be really nice during the winter especially;
It gives any police officer you encounter some level of comfort that you really are one of the good guys;
And it makes a fine, second form of official State issued photo ID.

All the best.

Charles

concerned citizen

imported post

Thankyou for your replies. They were very helpful. Even though I consider myself very competent with firearms it sounds like I could use some education on use of deadly force and restricted locations.

I still have one question that I dont think got answered. Can I carry my gun concealed if the mag isnot in the gun, without a permit?

OC sounds like a good way to make a statement, but I want to carry most of the time, and dont always want to deal with the hassle of people making a stink.

Thanks again.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

concerned citizen wrote:
Thankyou for your replies. They were very helpful. Even though I consider myself very competent with firearms it sounds like I could use some education on use of deadly force and restricted locations.

I still have one question that I dont think got answered. Can I carry my gun concealed if the mag isnot in the gun, without a permit?

OC sounds like a good way to make a statement, but I want to carry most of the time, and dont always want to deal with the hassle of people making a stink.

Thanks again.
No, you cannot, legally.

76-10-504 prohibits the possession of a concealed dangerous weapon without a permit. <http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050400.htm>

If the gun "contains no ammo" (Notice this section does not use the Utah definition of "loaded") violation is a Class B misdemeanor. If it does "contain ammo" violation is a class A misdemeanor. I believe that is 6 months and one year jail time, plus fines, as potential penalties, respectively.

Securing encased (not locked, but securely cases) such as in a closed gun case is not considered concealed, but a glove box or center console specifically does NOT qualify as a gun case.

concerned citizen

imported post

Thanks so much. I have put my gun in my glove box and center console, without knowing that I shouldn't. I appreciate your time in answering my questions.

xmirage2kx

imported post

If you are a gun owner in Utah one ofthe best things you can really do for yourself is to get a permit. You can find classes for $25-$50 everywhere (often even free if you are a student or military) and just under $70 for the permit itself (good for 5 years and only costs $10 to renew). It allows you to more easily transport, carry, buy, and even use your gun (even if you just plan on plinking). There are dozens of obscure laws you can get dinged for (example the glove box) and a permitdrastically reduces these. With a permit you can sum up where and/or how you can’t carry in a single sentence, without one there is almost an entire section of legal coding to decipher. Forabout $100 a person really owes it to themselves to get one.