• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun show madness ??

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I thought that the show was slower than expected.

Tomorrow will be better.
I think everyone was in a panic to find the deals on what Obama was trying to take away. Stopping at your booth could wait. You are right, tomorrow should be a more focused day and you should get more attention.

Good seeing you today!

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DrMark wrote:
Crowded show. At around 11:30 some dude was unconscious and getting tended to by EMT. Hope he's okay.
icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

That was a cardiac arrest, it didn't look good, but at least fire personnel were johnny-on-the-spot.

I had a really, really bad experience with a dealer. I am reluctant to put the details out on OCDO. I made two purchases from this guy. I wanted to return one item after spending a good amount of money with this guy and he told me that a restocking fee would cost me 45%. He wasn't a local.

Georgia Arms got wiped out before lunch. Ar's were not to be had for under a grand. Cheap Ak's were pricey, and no good sks's.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
DrMark wrote:

I had a really, really bad experience with a dealer. I am reluctant to put the details out on OCDO. I made two purchases from this guy. I wanted to return one item after spending a good amount of money with this guy and he told me that a restocking fee would cost me 45%. He wasn't a local.
I was insulted by a dealer too:shock: It happened to be one I've dealt with for years and we have become good friends.
I have a thing with backpacks and have bought 3 from him. I want one that's really small but holds a lot and will carry a heavy load without a lot of padding. Drives him nuts.

I spotted a fellow with a good looking backpack near Larry's table and asked where he got it. I must have looked like a mugger because he almost ran away. Larry laughed and said, I have them, and pulled out a green, tan and black one.

I haggled the price down and he asked what color I wanted.
While I was deciding, he shouted to my wife "tell him to get the black one. It will match his heart":banghead:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

T Dubya wrote:

Well, that sure piqued our interest and left us unsatisfied!

:p

;)

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DrMark wrote:
T Dubya wrote:

Well, that sure piqued our interest and left us unsatisfied!

:p

;)

I'm going to go back today. Going to see if I can reason with this guy one last time. If not, I'll let you know.

************Update*************

Talked to the guy this morning, we were able to come to an understanding. Got my money back from one of my purchases. Cooler heads prevailed.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sunday morning things were steady. Not as crazy as Saturday. Ammo deals are gone, still lots and lots of people though. Looks like the VCDL table had some re-ups and a few new members.

I counted 5 Colt Ar's. One was a post ban 1/9 twist, two were new M4's and one was a used M4 at D*** S** for $1800.00! I saw a pristine brand new pre-ban Colt A2 government model that someone picked up, made out allright from what I understand.

Deals had to be seeked out. They were few and far between. Saw a guy walking around with an M1 for 2000.00 and another guy with an AR that looked to me had a DVD player attached to it for 1800.00.

PavePusher

imported post

peter nap wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
DrMark wrote:

I was insulted by a dealer too:shock: It happened to be one I've dealt with for years and we have become good friends.
I have a thing with backpacks and have bought 3 from him. I want one that's really small but holds a lot and will carry a heavy load without a lot of padding. Drives him nuts.

I spotted a fellow with a good looking backpack near Larry's table and asked where he got it. I must have looked like a mugger because he almost ran away. Larry laughed and said, I have them, and pulled out a green, tan and black one.

While I was deciding, he shouted to my wife "tell him to get the black one. It will match his heart":banghead:
Ha! Now that there's funny stuff! :lol:

celticredneck

imported post

I wasn't able to make it to the show until Sunday. By then, there wasn't much .45 or 9mm left, and I didn't see a single SKS around. My daughter wasn't able to make it this time, so I just looked around and got some prices for her. I saw a couple of Smith revolvers which were just out of her range. I could only find two Bersas, and both were higher than a friend at a local gun store said he could get one for. The highlight of the day was getting to meet Skidmark at the VCDL table. After that, I decided that since (I was already more than halfway there from Amelia, I,d run up to check out the new BassPro store. That was a big mistake. I circled around the parking lot twice, looking for handicap parking (arthritic knees as well as other problems), but could find nothing closer than a quarter mile away. So, after taking about 10 minutes just trying to exit the parking lot, I left and went to Greentop. They were pretty crowded, but I found a close parking spot. They also didn't have any pistols in my Daughter's price range. So since my son suggested we let her have his old Mossberg 20 gauge, I looked for some 2 3/4" number 3 buck for it. They were all sold out of that. My next stop was spur of the moment. I exited Greentop and headed for I 95. My route took me right past Gander Mountain. Someone told me they are going out of business. I can believe it. Greentop had more customers. I went in and looked around at their pistols. They had a lot in stock, but they were, in my opinion, overpriced. I did manage to find some 20 gauge buckshot. I got three boxes. For $4.99 each. The next time my daughter makes it down from Roanoke to Amelia, I'll let het shoot up all of me remaining high brass #5s in the shotgun, then let her burn a few of the buckshot rounds. After that, I'll go over the Va. laws on self defense and such before I let her take the shotgun home with her.

TFred

imported post

celticredneck wrote:
My route took me right past Gander Mountain. Someone told me they are going out of business. I can believe it. Greentop had more customers.
Was this rumor referring to Gander Mountain as a company, or this particular store? It's practically brand new, I don't know if anyone would decide to close it so quickly, but I do wonder who could have decided to put it in that location to begin with, it is not easy or convenient to get to at all. I've only been there a couple times, but both times there were less than 20 cars in the parking lot.

Gander Mountain releases their third quarter results after market close today.

TFred

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
celticredneck wrote:
My route took me right past Gander Mountain. Someone told me they are going out of business. I can believe it. Greentop had more customers.
Was this rumor referring to Gander Mountain as a company, or this particular store?
I've heard that rumor from a co-worker whose husband used to work near the Ashland/VCC Gander Mountain. Having been to it, the Gander Mountain in Fredericksburg, and Greentop, the Ashland/VCC store's firearms department is odd to me. Maybe I'm just used to stores with display cases, a wall of guns behind the cases, and gun racks on the floor.

67GT390FB

imported post

peter nap wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
DrMark wrote:

yup this time of year VDOT puts out those "black ice" warnings.:lol:

hows it going, sorry i didn't cross paths with you. i ran in sunday and picked up a few things in the two hours i was there. saw t dubya and his new baby.

only semi deal i saw was a guy just walking in with an earlym1a/m14 springfield armory for 1300. considering the markup going on now it was a decent start price.

also saw a couple of nice commercial 1917 and 1920 1911's. man they new how to blue a gun back then. was glad i left my cash at home a friend of mine had a NIB auto ordinance officers model in 38 super for a great price. But i really don't need a nother gun or caliber right now.

ThunderRanch

imported post

Went up Saturday around 10 and the line was thankfully pretty short. I did get an ammo can of .45 ACP....must have been one Grapeshot missed! I didn't find anything for the FN 5.7 though.

Also picked up a SA XD (M)tm 40 for a decent price, though by the time I was looking for some ammo for it, it was definitely slim pickins. Got some Gold Dot Hollow Point +P from Georgia arms for what appeared to be a decent price.

Stopped by the VCDL table, but didn't actually stay long enough to chat. They were busy recruiting at the time!!

All in all, a pretty decent show in my book.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I was inside before 8:30 and watched in amazement as the seemingly never ending line progressed through the front doors. I was just there to help load up a half skid of emergency resupplies for another - I couldn't buy any more ammo, room will sink. I even have a quantity for a project that I haven't built yet.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
"tell him to get the black one. It will match his heart":banghead:
Oh come on now - I happen to know you love recognition! :lol:

Yata hey

hunter45

imported post

What is the minimum age to buy a handgun at a gun show, 18 or 21? I always thought it was 21, but I also thought you had to be 21 to OC, so I figured I'd ask.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
What is the minimum age to buy a handgun at a gun show, 18 or 21? I always thought it was 21, but I also thought you had to be 21 to OC, so I figured I'd ask.

That depends....

If you are buying from a dealer with an FFL, you have to be 21.

You could roam the gun show and buy from a private seller and be 18

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Without the normally provided cites (short on time) some age related data -

18 years old = OC legal, can purchase long guns and long gun ammunition.

21 years old = CC w/CHP, can purchase hand guns and hand gun ammunition.

Yata hey