• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dozens of Minnesota hunters fined, guns confiscated for baiting deer

thorvaldr

imported post

Not really 2A related. The word "hunting" does not appear in 2A. Somebody decided a long time ago that wild animals are government property and they can tell you what to do with them. 2A doesn't say there is anything wrong with that.

No matter what the NRA says, the second amendment is not about hunting.

Orygunner

imported post

Yes, they broke the law. However, if they have only been charged and have not been CONVICTED of breaking a law, how can their property (guns) be legally seized? Isn't that a violation of their 5th Amendment rights (deprived of property without due process of law)?

And I think the reference to the 2nd Amendment is that their firearms were seized. Hunting firearms, but still Arms.

...Orygunner...

PT111

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Yes, they broke the law. However, if they have only been charged and have not been CONVICTED of breaking a law, how can their property (guns) be legally seized? Isn't that a violation of their 5th Amendment rights (deprived of property without due process of law)?

And I think the reference to the 2nd Amendment is that their firearms were seized. Hunting firearms, but still Arms.

...Orygunner...
Just like with any other crime when you are charged any evidence will be held until the case is completed. If they want their day in court they can get it and their guns back. Just like the fellow in Georgia who was caught shooting deer in the water. Not only was his gun confiscated but also his boat and truck. The next day he was caught again with his brother-in-law's boat, truck and gun. It was also confiscated. :what:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...
Just like with any other crime when you are charged any evidence will be held until the case is completed. If they want their day in court they can get it and their guns back. Just like the fellow in Georgia who was caught shooting deer in the water. Not only was his gun confiscated but also his boat and truck. The next day he was caught again with his brother-in-law's boat, truck and gun. It was also confiscated. :what:
Did he get off on the second offense, too?

States have been confiscating guns/archery equipment,trucks, ATV's, boats, etc for years, from hunters caught hunting out of season/on posted property, spotlighting, baiting, anything illegal. If they beat the rap, they get theior property back, if not well...they knew better.

PT111

imported post

As far as I can remember he was found guilty for both and the state had two new trucks, two new boats and guns and one PO brother-in-law. :?