• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heading to MO answers please

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Well im coming to MO in 2 weeks to see my 2 oldest boys and look forward to OCing,

I looked up the CC laws and it appears that my Texas license will be honored but i would like to try and OC while i,m there. DO's and Dont's please of where i can and cannot would be greatly appreciated, I will be in Warsaw area if that helps any.

Steelviper

imported post

Good news, and bad news.

The good news is, yep, your Texas CCW license is good. (Everybody's is, which is great!) MO CCW laws are outstanding, as you can carry just about everywhere that makes sense and that's not posted, and the consequences of carrying where posted is that they can ask you to leave. (If you refuse to leave, they can charge you with a misdemeanor, but at that point you're asking for it.) The CCW law is uniform across the state.

The bad news is that unlike the CCW laws, the OC laws are subject to local preemption, so they can vary by locality. Warsaw's relatively rural, so I'd bet you'd be just fine OC'ing, but that's just my .02.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Thanks, i'm not sure but i was thinking about calling the local PD there but they probably don't know the law themselves as it seems in most places and i don't know if i could get reliable information from them, guess i will use information and see if i can find a local gun dealer or something that could help out for the area.

Article1section23

imported post

I looked for you and didn't see anything on their site or anything else for Benton County. You can tell they are a small town if they have acentral dispatch. Fishing should be good! and its still bow season. Enjoy.

captainamerica

imported post

I'm from just down the street near Warsaw. I believe it is ok for open carry but please check and don't take my poor memory for an affirmative. Remember, the Warsaw city limits are very small so you might even be outside of them most of the time your in the area. I do know that it is a very rural area with lost of liberals so even if OC is OK a nosey citizen can elevate the issue. They had a bad shooting in the Walmart several years ago but it was a domestic dispute with the inevitable aggressive abusive husband coming in and killing the wife. My mother and aunt were an aisle or so from the whole thing. But can't say that CCW or OC were hindered by that.

captainamerica

imported post

KC allows OC but there aremany greater-metro area communities that you can enter accidentally that do not allow it. It makes OC very difficult sovirtually everyoneI know just CCs in the metro.

Article1section23

imported post

captainamerica wrote:
KC allows OC but there aremany greater-metro area communities that you can enter accidentally that do not allow it. It makes OC very difficult sovirtually everyoneI know just CCs in the metro.

Captain,

NorthKC is one of them...can you tell us the others you know about? Also, can you post links to any of them?

Thanks

C

ccloud43

imported post

Not OC related but i just want to confirm what i read at handgunlaw.us about CC in MO. Is it still permissable to CC in resturants that sell alcohol? I will be visiting Ft Leonard Wood the end of April. I would rather OC but reading others comments about preemption it would be better for me just to conceal while I am there to avoid problems. Thanks

Steelviper

imported post

ccloud43 wrote:
Not OC related but i just want to confirm what i read at handgunlaw.us about CC in MO. Is it still permissable to CC in resturants that sell alcohol? I will be visiting Ft Leonard Wood the end of April.  I would rather OC but reading others comments about preemption it would be better for me just to conceal while I am there to avoid problems. Thanks
MO code says you can't carry at:
"(7) Any establishment licensed to dispense intoxicating liquor or nonintoxicating beer for consumption on the premises, which portion is primarily devoted to that purpose, without the consent of the owner or manager. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to the licensee of said establishment. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to any bona fide restaurant open to the general public having dining facilities for not less than fifty persons and that receives at least fifty-one percent of its gross annual income from the dining facilities by the sale of food. This subdivision does not prohibit the possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the establishment and shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. Nothing in this subdivision authorizes any individual who has been issued a concealed carry endorsement to possess any firearm while intoxicated;"

So it looks like you're OK in bona fide restaurant (as opposed to say, a tavern or pub that happens to serve food in addition to booze.)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Be aware as to violating the restriction "Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a** concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises."

Restricted locations can be found here and I suggest you read all of this subsection:
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM

I would also suggest you read the MO Highway patrol concealed weapons pamphlet as there are some restricted places in other sections:
http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf

Between those two you should have a pretty good overview and they are both short to read and pretty straight forward. Within 10 minutes you should know all you will need to know. You may want to print out the MOHP pamphlet and carry it with you on your visit.

C

ccloud43

imported post

Thanks to both steelviper and deepdiver for all the info. I will print a copy and carry with me just in case..

wolvertonj

imported post

Another in the KCMO area that does not allow Open Carry is Grandview. Also passed two years ago a county ordinance prohibiting OC in all parks and other property owned by Jackson County unless you possess a conceal & carry permit, then you may carry open or concealed. But beware, there is still an obsolete park ordinance on the books that was preempted by state law in 1985 and no one has ever bothered to take it off. A few of the park rangers are ignorant left wing political hires and may not know, so it would be a good idea to bring a copy of the current Jackson County ordinance with you if OCing in the parks. It is available at Jacksongov.org.