• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 17

thunder

imported post

I just recently found this site. It is very informational and helpful. I recently started carrying a firearm again. The only one I have right now is a glock 17. I carried it concealed. wasnt too bad. I am ready to try open carry. Any pointer or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

fullauto223cal

imported post

Sure, I've got a few.

1. Retention is key. Level 2 retention is my minimum. Check out the Serpa CQC holsters. You don't want that weapon getting away from you if someone is trying to grapple with you.

2. Dress to impress. Wear button up or polo shirts tucked in with a belt. You want to project that you are a responsible citizen & not some street thug.

3. Make eye contact and smile. Greet people as you pass them when appropriate. Folks who are ignorant of weapons and the law may be uneasy when they see you, this happens, but you want them to see that you're easy going.

4. Be prepared to be stopped and turned away from some businesses. Our local theater is one example but don't be afraid to test the waters. So long as you leave when asked you're not breaking the law. Personally, I just concealed it while at my vehicle and went back.

5. Know the law and carry a copy of the TN AG opinion regarding open carry. If your stopped by an TN LEO you should not have a problem so long as you can produce your permit.

My hope is that someday Tennessee will come more in line with other open carry states like VA. Plus, the more average folks start to carry the harder it is for the likes of Obama and the gun banners to push through anti-gun laws without the common people raising hell about it and voting their asses out of there.

peanut

imported post

I admit, I conceal most of the time, but if I forget my jacket and go into Lowes or something, I just open carry. It's natural to me now. At first, again, I felt as if I were breaking the law and impersonating an LEO, though I was not doing either. Once you get past that stage of " man this feels wrong", and act like you are supposed to have it and you are legal and not scaring people, you will be just fine. I have carried for 6 years, so I was comfortable having the weapon on me, but not openly for some reason. You HAVE to act confident and not cocky. You HAVE to look like you carry open all the time and it's the norm. People are like animals, they know when you are nervous or afraid. My best friend was nervous about it at first and I suggested that he start off by carrying into gas stations and small places before going into banks, Lowes, non alcoholic eateries, etc...