• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carrying in US National Parks

suntzu

imported post

BOHICA wrote:
Yeah, I found his interpretation after I posted. At first I was pretty ticked off, but after thinking about it for a while and rereading his 2nd statement, I do believe he came to a logical conclusion. Assuming the precedent he cites in the 2nd paragraph on page 2 means what I think it means, courts have decided that the statutes are all one piece and shouldn't be read in sections. If I weren't biased towards the 2nd Amendment, there's a good chance I would have said the same thing.

The only possible loopholes that I can see are:

1. In the first paragraph (continued) on the 2nd page, he says that the legislature intended for it to be read as a whole. However, unless this law was passed after 2004 (when the precedent was set), the legislature couldn't have known whether or not the statute would be read as a whole or in parts.

2. In the 2nd paragraph, page 3, he states that the items listed as prohibited are not used in the course of hunting. I know that somewhere out there is someone who hunts and is able to afford a silencer and uses it to prevent hearing loss. Finding someone who does this (preferably more than one) would prove his interpretation wrong and possible open the statute up to looser interpretations.

3. It all depends on the definition of public parks - whether or not that's considered to be all-encompassing or if it only applies to state and local lands. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the word public - Webster's defines it as:
  1. of, belonging to, or concerning the people as a whole; of or by the community at large
  2. for the use or benefit of all, especially supported by government funds
- I seriously doubt this we're going to be allowed to. :banghead::cry::cuss:
Here is the thing though--

The US National Parks are public lands yes--but under the governance of the US Dept. of the Interior. Which means the state has no control over the park.

I would not think local/state law enforcement would even have jurisdiction to conduct a traffic stop within the boundary of a national park, or federal reservation...It would be similar I think to having the North Carolina highway patrol conducting patrols on Ft. Bragg and doing traffic stops...I just don't think you will see it--although I could be wrong...

The Smoky Mountains are controlled by the DOI--which agreed to change the rules.

39-17-1302 (a) only covers STATE parks, or parks and recreation areas which are controlled by STATE, municipal, county or city governments....which the Smoky mountains definitely are not controlled by any of these--they are federally controlled lands. At least this is how it reads to me.

Tomorrow I will contact my State Senator and will ask him to check into this issue to see if the changes by the DOI will allow Tennesseans to carry into national parks here with a permit. I think this would be a good thing for others to do as well.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomorrow I will contact my State Senator and will ask him to check into this issue to see if the changes by the DOI will allow Tennesseans to carry into national parks here with a permit. I think this would be a good thing for others to do as well.
I agree that it appears that Tn Statutes apply to State, County, and City/Municipalities, and not Fed land.

The bigger question is whither we cna carry OC with permit onNat Parks, since that seems to be in compliance with Tn law.

BOHICA

imported post

You're forgetting that the DOI chose to conform to state laws. Check the 5th page on http://www.doi.gov/issues/Final Rule.pdf . The first paragraph under section 1 on that page states that the "...rule amends regulations to allow individuals to carry...firearms in federal park units and refuges to the extent that they could lawfully do so under non-conflicting state law." See the rest of the section for further references.

suntzu

imported post

BOHICA wrote:
You're forgetting that the DOI chose to conform to state laws. Check the 5th page on http://www.doi.gov/issues/Final%20Rule.pdf . The first paragraph under section 1 on that page states that the "...rule amends regulations to allow individuals to carry...firearms in federal park units and refuges to the extent that they could lawfully do so under non-conflicting state law." See the rest of the section for further references.
And where is the prohibition in Tennessee law preventing us from carrying firearms onto FEDERAL Lands?

The only prohibition in Tn. Laws found in 39-17-1302(a) is that which prevents us from carrying into STATE or MUNICIPAL parks....Federal rules are what prevented carrying into National parks, not state--the state has no authority on federal lands...

WATE news out of Knoxville just reported that Concealed carry will be legal in all national parks as of Jan 1.

Fallguy

imported post

When it talks about non-conflicting state law, I believe it means as long as the state doesn't have a law that specifically prohibits carry in National Parks. NOT if the state has a law that prohibits carry in state parks. But if a state did have a law that prevented carry in National Parks, then the final ruling means you could not carry in a National Park in that state. FWIW that is the same opinion the admin of Handgunlaw.us has after I spoke with him.

So IMO, although IANAL, I think we will be able to carry in National Parks in TN when the rule goes into effect.

Also you will only be able to Conceal Carry, it specifically says that.

suntzu

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
When it talks about non-conflicting state law, I believe it means as long as the state doesn't have a law that specifically prohibits carry in National Parks. NOT if the state has a law that prohibits carry in state parks. But if a state did have a law that prevented carry in National Parks, then the final ruling means you could not carry in a National Park in that state. FWIW that is the same opinion the admin of Handgunlaw.us has after I spoke with him.

So IMO, although IANAL, I think we will be able to carry in National Parks in TN when the rule goes into effect.

Also you will only be able to Conceal Carry, it specifically says that.
I agree--nothing in the state law specifically prohibits carrying in a national park--only a state park.

The problem is--the soon coming president could very well reverse the decision by the DOI and simply prohibit firearms in the national parks again...so while we may have it for now--it may not last very long, because they may reverse the decision after Obama takes office.

Fallguy

imported post

suntzu wrote:
I agree--nothing in the state law specifically prohibits carrying in a national park--only a state park.

The problem is--the soon coming president could very well reverse the decision by the DOI and simply prohibit firearms in the national parks again...so while we may have it for now--it may not last very long, because they may reverse the decision after Obama takes office.

That is possible, but I've heard it could take months or even years before he could do it. Also even though we all know how Anti- he is, surely reversing something that has just taken effect without even giving it a chance would even make him look bad to the moderates.

Frankly I think he has SEVERAL bigger fishto fry before he would get to this anyway. Not to say I'm not already thinking of a trip to a National Park within the next month. :)