• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winery

David59

imported post

Hi

I will be visiting your great state of Washington this summer. I noticed that you cannot carry in a bar but you can in a restaurant that serves alcohol (right?) My question is (I’m from Illinois motto “you don’t have any rights” with a Utah carry permit) can I carry in a winery?

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

You cannot carry in an establishment that is posted by the Liquor Control Board as being off limits to those under 21, which is typically those places that sell alcohol for consumption on the premesis. This usually isn't the case at a winery -- they serve samples, and I don't recall seeing one posted -- but it has been awhile.

If you're consuming the product, though, I personally would wonder why you are carrying (unless you're doing the taste-and-spit thing). Leave it in the car in that case.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to Washington ! I suggest reading up on the thread Washington OC FAQ's:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/15411.html

Liquor stores are state run: carry is legal
Restaurants that serve alcohol: carry is legal however you may not sit in the bar area if so equipped.

Be on the look out for this sign: (See RCW 9.41.300)

sign_firearms.gif

David59

imported post

Thanks for answering my question. Yep you very little if any “drinking” on a winery tour. Now at brewery that’s a different story. :)

just_a_car

imported post

Come on people, why not say it how it is?! This is ridiculous.

It doesn't matter if they serve and/or sell alcohol on the premesis, it only matters if persons under 21 years old are allowed in according to the WA Liquor Control Board.

Please see this:
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;
-RCW 9.41.300

If they allow under-21 year olds, then it is legal for your firearm to enter. Though, just because an employee allows it, doesn't necessarily make it legal; it depends on what portions the WALCB has designated as "No Minors". The following website has the signage you need to look out for to alert you to a possibly "No Minors" area: http://liq.wa.gov/enforcement/signage.aspx

Carry On.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
It doesn't matter if they serve and/or sell alcohol on the premesis, it only matters if persons under 21 years old are allowed in according to the WA Liquor Control Board.

Kinda pissy tonight, aren't we? Geez.

Perhaps you can give an example of a portion of an establishment that doesn't serve alcohol on the premesis that is posted by the WLCB? Otherwise, it would seem that statute-speak adds nothing to the plain language explanations given above.

Bobarino

imported post

i took the dinner train 3 times to the Columbia Winery. nowhere was there a sign outside the tasting rooms as pictured above. they are not off limits to those under 21 so you should be legal to carry there. i've never been given any trouble on the train or at the winery. granted i was carrying concealed but one i know that one employee knew i was carrying. on one trip, we did the "Murder Mystery" trip and i was one of the killers so was drawn into the act. one of the (very bad) actors "accosted" me with a fake gun. i played the part quite well since i had a broken clavicle at the time so my act of pain was quite real but i know he felt my holstered pistol and immediately changed his act to release me and shift his focus to another "suspect". turns out, after the victim was strangled, poisoned, and stabbed, i finished him off with a gunshot. ironic huh?

anywho, my point is, wineries are legal, but may not be ok via corporate policy.

Bobby