• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA-ALERT: National Parks Victory - the details!

Kevin108

imported post

VCDL - pat yourselves on the back for a job exceptionally well done! The two Petitions for Rule Making that VCDL submitted to the Department of the Interior helped push this issue forward!

This is a STRONG win for gun owners with concealed handgun permits or for those gun owners in states that don't need permits to carry concealed!!!

Basically, if a state allows a person to carry a concealed, loaded, operable handgun, then that person can carry a concealed, loaded, operable handgun in a National Park.

We were concerned that the proposed regulation had an "analogous lands" provision, but it is gone!

Here is a link to the press release:

http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/120508.html

Here is a link to the final rule:

http://www.doi.gov/issues/Final%20Rule.pdf

Here is the new regulation:

--

Title 36 - Parks, Forests, and Public Property

Chapter 1 - National Park Service, DOI

Part 2 - Resource Protection, Public Use, and Recreation

2.4 Weapons traps and nets. (new paragraph (h))

(h) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law."

--

DO **NOT** CARRY IN NATIONAL PARKS OR NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGES YET!

The new ruling will take effect 30 days AFTER it appears in the Federal Register next week. So, I would say it will be effective no later than January 12th!

Here is a story from the AP:

http://tinyurl.com/68kdgo

Dec 5, 2:54 PM EST

New rule eases ban on firearms in national parks

By MATTHEW DALY
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- People will now be able to carry concealed firearms in some national parks and wildlife refuges.

An Interior Department rule issued Friday allows an individual to carry a loaded weapon in a park or wildlife refuge - but only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon, and if the state where the park or refuge is located also allows loaded firearms in parks.

The rule overturns a Reagan-era regulation that has restricted loaded guns in parks and wildlife refuges. The previous regulations required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as in a car trunk.

Assistant Interior Secretary Lyle Laverty said the new rule respects a long tradition of states and the federal government working together on natural resource issues.

The regulation allows individuals to carry concealed firearms in federal parks and wildlife refuges to the same extent they can lawfully do so under state law, Laverty said, adding that the approach is in line with rules adopted by the federal Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. Those agencies let visitors carry weapons consistent with applicable federal and state laws.

The National Rifle Association hailed the rule change, which will take effect next month before President-elect Barack Obama takes office.

"We are pleased that the Interior Department recognizes the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's national parks and wildlife refuges," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist.

The rule will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners on federal lands and make federal law consistent with the state where the lands are located, Cox said. The NRA led efforts to change gun regulations they called inconsistent and unclear.

A group representing park rangers, retirees and conservation organizations said the rule change will lead to confusion for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.

"Once again, political leaders in the Bush administration have ignored the preferences of the American public by succumbing to political pressure, in this case generated by the National Rifle Association," said Bill Wade, president of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees.

"This regulation will put visitors, employees and precious resources of the National Park System at risk. We will do everything possible to overturn it and return to a commonsense approach to guns in national parks that has been working for decades," Wade said.

The park rule will be published in the Federal Register next week and take effect 30 days later, well before Obama takes office Jan. 20. Overturning the rule could take months or even years, since it would require the new administration to restart the lengthy rule-making process.

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

foxcall

imported post

This is awesome news, I was having some doubts about this one - I know, shame on me :cry: - but it's good to see that there's still reason in this world.

I do a lot of work in national forests and parks so I'll definitely benefit from this :celebrate

nova

imported post

As far as I know, National Forests already had a similar policy to this in place. But it sure is good to have National Parks consistent with everything else now! :celebrate

nova

imported post

YAHOO!!!! :celebrate:celebrate

(this thread needed more banana)

fairfax1

imported post

A group representing park rangers, retirees and conservation organizations said the rule change will lead to confusion for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.
Why? This isn't rocket science to figure this out.

The National Rifle Association hailed the rule change, which will take effect next month before President-elect Barack Obama takes office.
Hopefully, Obama won't try and sign some kind of executive order undoing this.

apollosmom

imported post

Recommend all visit www.doi.gov and review the .pdf letters from the 47+4 senators that supported us....and write them and thank them for their support....note once again, that not all pubbies are our friends, and not all D's are our enemies...this was bi-partisan. We need to ensure all of our elected officials here from us, when they do good, as well as when they stray! But the lions' share of this victory once again goes to the VCDL! Join us!:cool:

Glock27Bill

imported post

peter nap wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
Great news. So... what about open carry :)?

No open carry so it's half a victory. VCDL pushed for both but as usual the NRA traded a right to get a privilege. Don't know where GOA stood on this.

This ain't a popular view but it is mine!
http://news.oldva.org/?p=186

I'm a member of both the VDL and the NRA.

Point me to where there's details on exactly who consciously made this compromise and, as a member, I shall voice my displeasure.

Tomahawk

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
peter nap wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:

No open carry so it's half a victory. VCDL pushed for both but as usual the NRA traded a right to get a privilege. Don't know where GOA stood on this.

Point me to where there's details on exactly who consciously made this compromise and, as a member, I shall voice my displeasure.
Same here. I am very critical of the NRA, but I didn't read anywhere that the NRA negotiated away open carry. Sounds like something NRA would do, maybe, but no cite means it didn't happen.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hlh wrote:
peter nap wrote:
I'm too tired to play the cite game today.

Point to me where the NRA pressed for carry in compliance with established legal carry in the state and I'll make a public apology to the NRA.

VCDL pushed for both.
The NRA always takes the easy route!

no cite means it didn't happen.

Parts of this bulletin board may not function unless you enable JavaScript (also called Active Scripting) in your browser. OK Hawk...didn't happen! Like I said in the story, there IS a division among gun owners!
This beat up on the NRA crap is getting old. We could have got nothing. And yes, in politics you often have to compromise. Welcome to an imperfect democracy. To show your sincerity, since you didn't get everything you want, you should not exercise this privilege.
Great News!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
peter nap wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:

Same here. I am very critical of the NRA, but I didn't read anywhere that the NRA negotiated away open carry. Sounds like something NRA would do, maybe, but no cite means it didn't happen.

Point to me where the NRA pressed for carry in compliance with established legal carry in the state and I'll make a public apology to the NRA.

VCDL pushed for both.

OK Hawk...didn't happen! Like I said in the story, there IS a division among gun owners!

Humm. This is a new approach.

In a forum where the standard is that people must post citations for any claims they make if challenged for same, a person is challenged for proof of a claim. In response the person says they do not want to bother getting the actual facts and citing them, and instead demands proof that what he is claming is NOT true. I presume that since there is no way to find a cite that states that NRA did not give up open carry that the lack of a citation to that effect is suposed to be a difinative statement of some kind.

Well we could wait for Citizen to come along and cry fowl, but I think I will just do it myself. Tomahawk is correct-

No Cite, then it did not happen. Lazyness is no excuse.

Show me where NRA did what you claim and I too will take them to task for it.

Regards

Glock27Bill

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
peter nap wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:

VCDL pushed for both.

OK Hawk...didn't happen! Like I said in the story, there IS a division among gun owners!

Humm. This is a new approach.

In a forum where the standard is that people must post citations for any claims they make if challenged for same, a person is challenged for proof of a claim. In response the person says they do not want to bother getting the actual facts and citing them, and instead demands proof that what he is claming is NOT true. I presume that since there is no way to find a cite that states that NRA did not give up open carry that the lack of a citation to that effect is suposed to be a difinative statement of some kind.

Well we could wait for Citizen to come along and cry fowl, but I think I will just do it myself. Tomahawk is correct-

No Cite, then it did not happen. Lazyness is no excuse.

Show me where NRA did what you claim and I too will take them to task for it.

Regards
Obama hasn't even benn inaugurated, and we've already adopted the French Court system.

foxcall

imported post

Hey, at least we got a foot in the door - a half victory is better than no victory. Progress is gradual, it doesn't happen overnight. That might sound counter intuitive seeing as how our RKBA should be as free as speech, but that's just the world we live in unfortunately.

Glock27Bill

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
peter nap wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
EDITED

Your right....Didn't happen!

NRA is great, Damn big step forward!

John Kerry really is a Duck hunter!

Dude, you're using the same logic as the anit-gunners.

I believe because I want to believe, so it's the truth because I believe it, and you're a bad person for disagreeing with me.

I don't blindly follow the NRA, but I also don't see something that's just not there.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is...an opinion, not a fact.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
peter nap wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
EDITED

Your right....Didn't happen!

NRA is great, Damn big step forward!

John Kerry really is a Duck hunter!

Dude, you're using the same logic as the anit-gunners.

I believe because I want to believe, so it's the truth because I believe it, and you're a bad person for disagreeing with me.

I don't blindly follow the NRA, but I also don't see something that's just not there.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is...an opinion, not a fact.
Give it a rest Bill! The argument is over.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hlh wrote:
The internet is full of opinions that are not facts. Opinions become hearsay and then hearsay is quoted as fact. This forum wants to deal with facts.
edited again

The argument is OVER!