• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Bullet ownership bill' gets apparent City Council backing

ghoststan

imported post

By Ray Gronberg : The Herald-Sun
gronberg@heraldsun.com
Dec 5, 2008

DURHAM -- City Council members appear likely to add to their 2009 legislative wish list a local minister's proposal that the state license purchases of ammunition.

The Rev. Melvin Whitley has been pushing his so-called "bullet ownership bill" for a couple years now, but so far no one has formally introduced it in the N.C. General Assembly.

A formal council endorsement could prod Durham's legislative delegation to put the measure in the hopper after the General Assembly convenes early next year.

Council members agreed Thursday to have their own legislative subcommittee review the measure and decide whether it should become part of the city's formal wish list.

"This is not gun control," Whitley told council members Thursday. "This is gun safety."

Whitley's proposal -- modeled on existing law in Illinois -- would require gun owners to secure a permit from the local sheriff's office before buying ammunition.

It would also forbid ammunition sales to felons, drug addicts, mental patients, juvenile delinquents, the mentally retarded and illegal aliens.

Amd it would forbid sales to people whose mental state presents "a clear and present danger to the community," to anyone a court order bars from possessing a handgun, to anyone convicted of a gun crime, or to anyone who has been convicted of domestic battery.

Whitley said Thursday the measure is intended to close loopholes in existing law that make it harder to purchase a firearm than to buy ammunition.

Given the potential for opposition from gun-rights lobbies, supporters intend to assemble a coalition of local and "statewide organizations" like the N.C. Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, Parents of Murdered Children, the People's Alliance, North Carolinians Against Gun Violence, the N.C. Sheriff's Association and the NAACP to support the measure, he said.

Ideally, the strategy is also for "a gun-toting legislator" to introduce the bill, he said.

Whitley is active in Partners Against Crime District 1 and is also a member of the Durham Crime Cabinet.

Councilwoman Cora Cole-McFadden and Councilman Howard Clement both signaled they'd like to see the bill added to the legislative wish list, which officials compile each year in preparation for the General Assembly's session.

The wish list or "agenda," to use the council's term for it, focuses heavily on Durham-only issues. But it usually includes a few items calling for bills that affect the entire state.

Custodian

imported post

You know what? I am tired of these liberal, Democrat preachers. They spend way too much time out of church trying to control our lives than that of their own flock. This is not Illinois and I am glad. This is North Carolina.

I am always suspicious of people introducing legislature from No 2nd amendment rights places like California, Illinois, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and Wisconsin.

rady8um

imported post

"It would also forbid ammunition sales to felons, drug addicts, mental patients, juvenile delinquents, the mentally retarded and illegal aliens. "

Perfect, 'cause those kinds of peopleshouldn't have rights anyway. :cuss:

I wonder what mental midget decides who is too "retarded" to buy ammo?

"Whitley said Thursday the measure is intended to close loopholes in existing law that make it harder to purchase a firearm than to buy ammunition."

Loophole? Interesting. I've notice it's easier to buy grips than it is to buy a handgun. Maybe the idiots should require licensing to buy handgrips as well.

Mungo

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
There is no possible way this is going to get passed.

BRobb19 - all due respect, this is why we have some stupid laws on the books now as it is. We can't become complacent and assume common sense will prevail.

The fact is, stupid laws do get passed. I hope the citizens of the area keep an eye on this "wish list". Especially if this particular item get's introduced.

Godscreation

imported post

If this law is so dumb then it should be easy to shoot down. Is there a number we can call to show our disapproval? a link with phone #'s to our Reps? Let's shoot this down and make a show of these libs!

Caveman93

imported post

OK, they can pass this piece of dung if they want to after they sign off on the bill that keeps "retards" out of public office first! :banghead: Don't they have anything better that they can focus on? ...economy, crime prevention, maybe cleaning up downtown??I know! Let's make sure we require licenses for nails tooso we don't misuse our nail guns!? Do they think honest law abiding gun owners are stupid and unable to account for our own rounds!? Maybe, just maybe we can pass the same thing for bb's and pellets? Or, how about making sure we over regulate PEZ candies so we don't choke on them accidentally?

Gone are the days of personal responsibility people. I guess if this thing does pass, we can all blame and bear responsibility on the county for not regulating enough.

Mungo

imported post

Caveman93 wrote:
Gone are the days of personal responsibility people. I guess if this thing does pass, we can all blame and bear responsibility on the county for not regulating enough.
LOL! I thought personal responsibility was already long gone in our society!

Caveman93

imported post

Mungo wrote:
Caveman93 wrote:
LOL! I thought personal responsibility was already long gone in our society!
That's why we own hand guns and carry them! :celebrate