• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in national parks in WA state?

joeroket

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
It's legal now it would seem. It appears to apply only to handguns, not long guns. OC is still somewhat ambiguous....

I don't read it to be restricting of OC as long as you hold a CPL. They talk about brandishing being a reason to check for poaching but brandishing is not simple OC in a holster.

Wheelgunner

imported post

I see nothing in here that would prevent open carry, so long as it is allowed by law. I read it twice, any comments? I know it says concealed several times, but it it has no penalties for open carry, does not reference open carry, does not mandate "covering up" a weapon if you have a CPL, gives no authority to Park rangers to mandate Concealing, does not state what the definition of "concealed" is, (for example, in some states a flap holster is "concealed") and the issue of long guns is not addressed as a concealed vs unconcealed but as a regulation that will be dealt with in the future. I can's see a park ranger getting torqued if you have a colt Army on your hip vs a glock under your shirt.

By the way, Another(!) Glock AD in New York. Right in the leg!

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I read it as open carryis prohibited. You have to take the whole law in context.

The original priohibition remains in place. All they did was add a clause that provides for an EXCEPTION for Concealed Carry if it's legal by state law.

joeroket

imported post

I read it to say that they are allowing people that are licensed in that state to carry a concealed pistol the ability to carry. They make no mention that you cannot OC nor do they require it to be concealed. They only require you to have been licensed by the state that the area of the park resides in.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
I read it to say that they are allowing people that are licensed in that state to carry a concealed pistol the ability to carry. They make no mention that you cannot OC nor do they require it to be concealed. They only require you to have been licensed by the state that the area of the park resides in.
That is because you are only reading the amendment. You must read the law in it's entirity. Take the law as it exists now... ALL firearms are prohibited unless broken down and unloaded, and then add this amendment - anexception for Concealed Carry

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

A person may possess, carry and transport concealed, loaded and operable firearms within a national park area in the same manner and to the same extent that a person may lawfully possess carry and transport concealed loaded and operable firearms in the state in which the federal park or that part thereof is located. Except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law.

joeroket

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
joeroket wrote:
That is because you are only reading the amendment. You must read the law in it's entirity. Take the law as it exists now... ALL firearms are prohibited unless broken down and unloaded, and then add this amendment - anexception for Concealed Carry
Ahhh gotcha.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I'm confused. I've never had a problem carrying, or discharging firearms in the Snoqualmie National Forest for the past 5 years. I even carry around the FAQ (which has changed slightly, they added the washington state website) in my gun bag.

"What are the fishing, hunting, and firearm regulations in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest? The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife regulates hunting and fishing activities even on National Forest land. Find the rules and regulations on the Washington State website.
Firearms: Firing a gun is not allowed: a) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area b) Across or on a road or body of water c) In any circumstance whereby a person may be injured or property damaged. [top]"

Am I missing something? It seems to be pretty clear that discharging (and I assumed carrying) firearms is perfectly legal with the exceptions noted above?

joeroket

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
I'm confused. I've never had a problem carrying, or discharging firearms in the Snoqualmie National Forest for the past 5 years. I even carry around the FAQ (which has changed slightly, they added the washington state website) in my gun bag.

"What are the fishing, hunting, and firearm regulations in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest? The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife regulates hunting and fishing activities even on National Forest land. Find the rules and regulations on the Washington State website.
Firearms: Firing a gun is not allowed: a) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area b) Across or on a road or body of water c) In any circumstance whereby a person may be injured or property damaged. [top]"

Am I missing something? It seems to be pretty clear that discharging (and I assumed carrying) firearms is perfectly legal with the exceptions noted above?
You are talking about a Nat'l Forest which has different rules than a Natl' Park. Firearms have been unlawful in Nat'l Parks since, I think, 1976.