• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with CCW is not Open Carry

DeadReckoner

imported post

I keep reading stories about individuals that claim to be open carrying while they have a CCW and when confronted by law enforcement, the first thing the officer asks is whether or not they have a CCW. The first thing the officer should be checking is whether or not the weapon is loaded and one action away from firing.
In my opinion, the point of Open Carry is that we dont need a CCW to Open Carry.
That a CCW is not required by law.
The difference being:
Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded.

Just pointing out, you dont need a CCW as it is not required unless you are open carrying with say, a 9mm with jacked and loaded.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

DeadReckoner wrote:
The first thing the officer should be checking is whether or not the weapon is loaded and one action away from firing.
Not an auspicious beginning.

A cop must mind his own business unless he has reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime.

The only action short of firing is 'triggering'.

A gun is a liability unless it is ready to function, Condition One or Two depending on its design. Both conditions have a round chambered.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Open or concealed carry of a defensive firearm that is not in near-full battery is not only a dangerous practice, if required by some law, it borders on lunacy. I defeats the most basic purpose of a defensive arm which is a device capable of being put to use in as short of time as possible.

While I do not personally care for carrying a single action pistol in Condition One, I fully and completely understand the decision for those who do. Getting that weapon out and ready for immediate use could very easily be the difference between going home or going to the hospital or worse.

ralphb72

imported post

Here in Indiana, you must have a license to carry a handgun whether openly or concealed. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the law and I do have one.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DeadReckoner wrote:
I keep reading stories about individuals that claim to be open carrying while they have a CCW and when confronted by law enforcement, the first thing the officer asks is whether or not they have a CCW. The first thing the officer should be checking is whether or not the weapon is loaded and one action away from firing.
In my opinion, the point of Open Carry is that we dont need a CCW to Open Carry.
The difference being:
Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded.

Just pointing out, you dont need a CCW as it is not required unless you are open carrying with say, a 9mm with jacked and loaded.
So what do folks that carry revolvers do?

Here in Tn we have to have a HCP to carry CC/OC. No stipulations on condition.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While I see the point the OP is trying to make, it really does not apply to carry for defensive purposes.

If your purpose for carrying is based in politics, activist demonstration, or public awareness purposes, fine. Then getting a permit would make a statement in opposition to the point you are trying to make.

But those who carry primarily for self defense usuallyobtain permits so we have the most options available for carry. Many here carry indifferently as to concealment, and the CWP makes that possible.

As to what the police will or should ask for if they stop someone, most of us don't care because we do not believe that under most circumstances a police officer would have probable cause to stop us in the first place, just for carrying a firearm. SO in most cases we will resist supplying any documents, including carry permits.

Regards

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DeadReckoner wrote:
The difference being:

Your comments do not appl7y generally to the several states - maybe Utah, but please post threads in state forum when speaking to state law specifics.

Dahwg

imported post

It's usually a good idea to read through the forum before making your first post. Most people on here have forgotten more about open carry then you ever knew. To come off as lecturing about something that the majority of people on here know forward and backward is a less than perfect start.

sraacke

imported post

DeadReckoner wrote:
That sounds like some sort of BS that they came up with for hunters. You know, keep your shot gun broken open or action open and no shells chambered until you get from your truck to your dear stand.

Anyone OCing with a pistol holstered on their hip and doesn't have a bullet chamered and ready to go is a fool.

Orygunner

imported post

yale wrote:
DeadReckoner wrote:
That sounds like some sort of BS that they came up with for hunters. You know, keep your shot gun broken open or action open and no shells chambered until you get from your truck to your dear stand.

Anyone OCing with a pistol holstered on their hip and doesn't have a bullet chamered and ready to go is a fool.

That's how theIsraeli Military carries all sidearms, I believe. Because of the variety of firearms they use, different safeties for each type, andthe limitedtraining their soldiers get,they have adopted a safety procedure of carrying every handgun with an empty chamber and safety off. Racking the slide is part of their draw.

However, I agreethat carrying with a round in the chamber is best. I carry condition 1 with both my CC and OC handguns (Kel-Tec P3AT and Taurus PT101, both are DA).

...Orygunner...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IIRC the Utah law is that without a CWP and OC you must carry 2 actions from firing, but that stricture does not apply with a CWP.

It is because of these vagaries of the law that nearly 90% of OCDO have CC permits according to forum polling.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

OMG, geuss he never read the part of constitution that allows one to actually leave
the petty dictatorships in your area. I for one have mine so that me and my gun
can also return to the local dictatorship unimpeaded.

darthmord

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
IIRC the Utah law is that without a CWP and OC you must carry 2 actions from firing, but that stricture does not apply with a CWP.

It is because of these vagaries of the law that nearly 90% of OCDO have CC permits according to forum polling.

True dat. It also doesn't hurt to have more carry options than just unlicensed OC.

More options are always good.