Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Age to OC in VA?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    Hey all, I'm new to the message board.
    I've just started reading up on the gun laws in Virginia. I got my first handgun last week as a gift from my Dad. And I've recently started hunting.

    I have a question regarding open carry in VA. I read online that you only have to be 18 to OC, but 21 to purchase a handgun and concealed carry. So is it true that I can OC as long as I'm 18 years of age?

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    My understanding is yes. We have several posters here in the 18-20 age range who OC.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    348

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the board!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    469

    Post imported post

    The forum search function is very helpful as far as answering questions goes:

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...t=age+virginia

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...t=age+virginia

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...t=age+virginia


    Have a look at the map section as well. There is a map for OC age, as well as many others:

    http://www.opencarry.org/age.html


  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the help.

    I look forward to open carrying when I come home for winter break next week. But I'm a little nervous about peoples' reactions, even though there is nothing illegal about it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Just know the laws and if anyone talks to you try to be as polite as you can. Everything should be fine as you are in Fairfax County, but it is always wise to carry a digital recorder just in case you have any interactions. Don't be nervous because most of the time people don't really notice or even care. Have a good time OCing and remember to always be aware of what is around you Forgot to mention to make sure that you have a retention holster!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    935

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    Thanks for the help.

    I look forward to open carrying when I come home for winter break next week. But I'm a little nervous about peoples' reactions, even though there is nothing illegal about it.
    Don't be nervous bro, most will think you're LE anyway. It is good to see people OC'ing in Northern Va. It makes my job way easier (LE). I think you may be surprised about the reactions. I have been carrying ever since I have returned from the military. I have had many people ask about my gun (Glock 21 usually) . Granted, I have been a LEO for the majority of the time, but I don't tell them that. OC prevents crime in my opinion, the more OC the better (and CC for that matter).

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    Hey all, I'm new to the message board.
    I've just started reading up on the gun laws in Virginia. I got my first handgun last week as a gift from my Dad. And I've recently started hunting.

    I have a question regarding open carry in VA. I read online that you only have to be 18 to OC, but 21 to purchase a handgun and concealed carry. So is it true that I can OC as long as I'm 18 years of age?
    Hey in about two weeks there's a VCDL meeting/dinner in Annandale...maybe you'd like to come? A VCDL meeting was my first experience in OCing back last spring since there's quite a few other people there OCing, the public's eyes won't all be on you

  9. #9
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    When is this meeting you speak of? I am a regular down here for dinners and have been to a VCDL meeting down here but never back at home. I just may have to make it out there if I can.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    It's listed as being on the 18th of December, a thursday, at the Mason District Gov't Ctr in Annandale.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Just know the laws and if anyone talks to you try to be as polite as you can. Everything should be fine as you are in Fairfax County, but it is always wise to carry a digital recorder just in case you have any interactions. Don't be nervous because most of the time people don't really notice or even care. Have a good time OCing and remember to always be aware of what is around you Forgot to mention to make sure that you have a retention holster!
    (emphasis added)

    The operative words being, "should be."

    Here is my take on OC in Fairfax County:

    The police know OC is legal. There is low probability that a Fairfax County police officer will attempt to detain you if he sees you OCing.

    HOWEVER, I strongly suspect there are officers who would love the chance to mess with an OCer if they could get half a justification for a stop/detention/non-consensual encounter.

    We have had two reports on this forum of an Officer Cerna, possibly out of Franconia District, giving extra attention and trouble to two different OC'ers during traffic stops. I vaguely recall guns temporarily seized, serial numbers run, and commentary or lecture.

    We also had an OCer in the Reston area stoppedwhile OCing on foot in the not-too-distant past.Somebody had called 911. Which leads tomy next point.

    I doubt a FCPD officer will approach an OCer out of the sky blue, but I'll take odds that if there was a nervous-nelly 911 call, an OCer wouldexperience a police encounter.Perhaps a trespassing discussion with an invitation to leave. And if it is an officer antagonistic to armed citizens or OCers, I'll take additional odds at 4th Amendment violations or at the very least attempts toconvince the OCer into waiving his 4A rights.

    One of the reasons we're sort of immune here inFairfax County is because the police know we know our law backwardsand forwards and can come up with the fine printin less time than it takes to write a Freedom of Information Act request for the 911 recordings, or a formal complaint to Internal Affairs.

    Another possible pitfall is the LEO whowants to mess witha young OCer. Remember the attemptsin other jurisdictions about, "I need to verify that you are not too young to carry."A corollary to which is the LEO just being plain mistaken and thinkingan OCer has to be 21 because that's the age to buy a handgun.

    So, know the law!! Know where you can carry and where you can't. Check around this forum or the VCDL website (http://www.vcdl.org) for info.Also, know whether you have to leaveprivate property on request, and whether it is smart to OC past a no-guns sign at a business' front door.

    Learning your 4th Amendment and 5th Amendment rights will help a lot.

    Get a voice-recorder atyour first opportunity.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    Hey in about two weeks there's a VCDL meeting/dinner in Annandale...maybe you'd like to come? A VCDL meeting was my first experience in OCing back last spring since there's quite a few other people there OCing, the public's eyes won't all be on you
    I might be able to make it. I'd definitely be interested in coming if my schedule allows. Do I have to join first or can I just show up at the meeting?

  13. #13
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Just show up:celebrate

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    I'll try my best to attend, and hopefully bring a friend along with me. Do many of the members OC at the meeting? I may wait until then for my first OC experience. I posted something on another forum about OCing (a Fairfax County general forum, not related to firearms) and I did not receive a single positive response. Everyone told me I was stupid if I OCed and I would have the police all over me and I would probably get shot. Being only 18 (and I don't look any older than that) and living in Fairfax County makes me worried about OCing, as I'm sure plenty of people will make a big deal over it, but I'm eager to give it a go. I ordered a Blackhawk SERPA holster online today, so I'm hoping that I'll have it by Thursday or Friday.

  15. #15
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Good job on a holster choice! I use it as well as many others on this site for OC. Lots of people OC at the meetings that I have been to so I would for sure give it a go as long as your parents are cool with it My parents told me that they were paying for my college and that I wasn't allowed to carry until i was 21 so I'm SOL until next November My parents aren't really firearms people is the whole reason I think. Oh well I am still a very active member of the OCDO community

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    My parents are fine with it. My dad owns quite a few guns, but he doesn't carry. He gave me my first handgun, a Glock 22, a couple weeks ago. I called him up this week and told him I wanted to OC, and he thought it was a good idea, so I went ahead and ordered myself that holster.

  17. #17
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    My parents are fine with it. My dad owns quite a few guns, but he doesn't carry. He gave me my first handgun, a Glock 22, a couple weeks ago. I called him up this week and told him I wanted to OC, and he thought it was a good idea, so I went ahead and ordered myself that holster.
    You are lucky as hell my friend! What high school do you go to Westfield or Centreville or other? Or college lol

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    My parents are fine with it. My dad owns quite a few guns, but he doesn't carry. He gave me my first handgun, a Glock 22, a couple weeks ago. I called him up this week and told him I wanted to OC, and he thought it was a good idea, so I went ahead and ordered myself that holster.
    You are lucky as hell my friend! What high school do you go to Westfield or Centreville or other? Or college lol
    I graduated from Westfield last year. I'm a freshman at JMU now. What about you?

  19. #19
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Class of 07 at Westfield myself. Went to MSU last year and am at ODU this year.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    I won't be hard to miss. Feel free to approach the biggest person you see at the meeting. That'll be me

    ETA: Westfield eh? I left Lake Braddock in '07 and am in my second year at GMU.

  21. #21
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    I won't be hard to miss. Feel free to approach the biggest person you see at the meeting. That'll be me
    Yea I am 6ft tall and Nova makes me look like a LP.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Class of 07 at Westfield myself. Went to MSU last year and am at ODU this year.
    Westfield has given itself a bad name now. That heroin bust a few weeks ago made them look really bad.
    So are there very many 18-20 year olds at the VCDL meetings?

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    I won't be hard to miss. Feel free to approach the biggest person you see at the meeting. That'll be me
    Yea I am 6ft tall and Nova makes me look like a LP.
    Yeah and that's why when my height on my Maine CFP was only 5'7" I couldn't exactly use it and have people believe it was real...luckly they were fast and I had a corrected permit in two days

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Class of 07 at Westfield myself. Went to MSU last year and am at ODU this year.
    Westfield has given itself a bad name now. That heroin bust a few weeks ago made them look really bad.
    So are there very many 18-20 year olds at the VCDL meetings?
    There's maybe 3-5 on average. Two of them (not including CRFrider and myself) post here on OCDO.

  25. #25
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Class of 07 at Westfield myself. Went to MSU last year and am at ODU this year.
    Westfield has given itself a bad name now. That heroin bust a few weeks ago made them look really bad.
    So are there very many 18-20 year olds at the VCDL meetings?
    Tell me about it I knew a couple of the people and never would have thought that they were into heroin!:what:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •