• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to OC in VA?

hunter45

imported post

Hey all, I'm new to the message board.
I've just started reading up on the gun laws in Virginia. I got my first handgun last week as a gift from my Dad. And I've recently started hunting.

I have a question regarding open carry in VA. I read online that you only have to be 18 to OC, but 21 to purchase a handgun and concealed carry. So is it true that I can OC as long as I'm 18 years of age?

mercutio545

hunter45

imported post

Thanks for the help.

I look forward to open carrying when I come home for winter break next week. But I'm a little nervous about peoples' reactions, even though there is nothing illegal about it.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Just know the laws and if anyone talks to you try to be as polite as you can. Everything should be fine as you are in Fairfax County, but it is always wise to carry a digital recorder just in case you have any interactions. Don't be nervous because most of the time people don't really notice or even care. Have a good time OCing and remember to always be aware of what is around you:lol: Forgot to mention to make sure that you have a retention holster!

nitrovic

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I look forward to open carrying when I come home for winter break next week. But I'm a little nervous about peoples' reactions, even though there is nothing illegal about it.

Don't be nervous bro, most will think you're LE anyway. It is good to see people OC'ing in Northern Va. It makes my job way easier (LE). I think you may be surprised about the reactions. I have been carrying ever since I have returned from the military. I have had many people ask about my gun (Glock 21 usually) . Granted, I have been a LEO for the majority of the time, but I don't tell them that. OC prevents crime in my opinion, the more OC the better (and CC for that matter).

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Hey all, I'm new to the message board.
I've just started reading up on the gun laws in Virginia. I got my first handgun last week as a gift from my Dad. And I've recently started hunting.

I have a question regarding open carry in VA. I read online that you only have to be 18 to OC, but 21 to purchase a handgun and concealed carry. So is it true that I can OC as long as I'm 18 years of age?
Hey in about two weeks there's a VCDL meeting/dinner in Annandale...maybe you'd like to come? A VCDL meeting was my first experience in OCing back last spring since there's quite a few other people there OCing, the public's eyes won't all be on you :)

nova

imported post

It's listed as being on the 18th of December, a thursday, at the Mason District Gov't Ctr in Annandale.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Just know the laws and if anyone talks to you try to be as polite as you can. Everything should be fine as you are in Fairfax County, but it is always wise to carry a digital recorder just in case you have any interactions. Don't be nervous because most of the time people don't really notice or even care. Have a good time OCing and remember to always be aware of what is around you:lol: Forgot to mention to make sure that you have a retention holster!

(emphasis added)

The operative words being, "should be."

Here is my take on OC in Fairfax County:

The police know OC is legal. There is low probability that a Fairfax County police officer will attempt to detain you if he sees you OCing.

HOWEVER, I strongly suspect there are officers who would love the chance to mess with an OCer if they could get half a justification for a stop/detention/non-consensual encounter.

We have had two reports on this forum of an Officer Cerna, possibly out of Franconia District, giving extra attention and trouble to two different OC'ers during traffic stops. I vaguely recall guns temporarily seized, serial numbers run, and commentary or lecture.

We also had an OCer in the Reston area stoppedwhile OCing on foot in the not-too-distant past.Somebody had called 911. Which leads tomy next point.

I doubt a FCPD officer will approach an OCer out of the sky blue, but I'll take odds that if there was a nervous-nelly 911 call, an OCer wouldexperience a police encounter.Perhaps a trespassing discussion with an invitation to leave. And if it is an officer antagonistic to armed citizens or OCers, I'll take additional odds at 4th Amendment violations or at the very least attempts toconvince the OCer into waiving his 4A rights.

One of the reasons we're sort of immune here inFairfax County is because the police know we know our law backwardsand forwards and can come up with the fine printin less time than it takes to write a Freedom of Information Act request for the 911 recordings, or a formal complaint to Internal Affairs.

Another possible pitfall is the LEO whowants to mess witha young OCer. Remember the attemptsin other jurisdictions about, "I need to verify that you are not too young to carry."A corollary to which is the LEO just being plain mistaken and thinkingan OCer has to be 21 because that's the age to buy a handgun.

So, know the law!! Know where you can carry and where you can't. Check around this forum or the VCDL website (http://www.vcdl.org) for info.Also, know whether you have to leaveprivate property on request, and whether it is smart to OC past a no-guns sign at a business' front door.

Learning your 4th Amendment and 5th Amendment rights will help a lot.

Get a voice-recorder atyour first opportunity.

hunter45

imported post

nova wrote:
Hey in about two weeks there's a VCDL meeting/dinner in Annandale...maybe you'd like to come? A VCDL meeting was my first experience in OCing back last spring since there's quite a few other people there OCing, the public's eyes won't all be on you :)

I might be able to make it. I'd definitely be interested in coming if my schedule allows. Do I have to join first or can I just show up at the meeting?

hunter45

imported post

I'll try my best to attend, and hopefully bring a friend along with me. Do many of the members OC at the meeting? I may wait until then for my first OC experience. I posted something on another forum about OCing (a Fairfax County general forum, not related to firearms) and I did not receive a single positive response. Everyone told me I was stupid if I OCed and I would have the police all over me and I would probably get shot. Being only 18 (and I don't look any older than that) and living in Fairfax County makes me worried about OCing, as I'm sure plenty of people will make a big deal over it, but I'm eager to give it a go. I ordered a Blackhawk SERPA holster online today, so I'm hoping that I'll have it by Thursday or Friday.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Good job on a holster choice! I use it as well as many others on this site for OC. Lots of people OC at the meetings that I have been to so I would for sure give it a go as long as your parents are cool with it:lol: My parents told me that they were paying for my college and that I wasn't allowed to carry until i was 21 so I'm SOL until next November:cry: My parents aren't really firearms people is the whole reason I think. Oh well I am still a very active member of the OCDO community:lol:

hunter45

imported post

My parents are fine with it. My dad owns quite a few guns, but he doesn't carry. He gave me my first handgun, a Glock 22, a couple weeks ago. I called him up this week and told him I wanted to OC, and he thought it was a good idea, so I went ahead and ordered myself that holster.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
My parents are fine with it. My dad owns quite a few guns, but he doesn't carry. He gave me my first handgun, a Glock 22, a couple weeks ago. I called him up this week and told him I wanted to OC, and he thought it was a good idea, so I went ahead and ordered myself that holster.
You are lucky as hell my friend! What high school do you go to Westfield or Centreville or other? Or college lol

hunter45

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
You are lucky as hell my friend! What high school do you go to Westfield or Centreville or other? Or college lol

I graduated from Westfield last year. I'm a freshman at JMU now. What about you?

nova

imported post

I won't be hard to miss. Feel free to approach the biggest person you see at the meeting. That'll be me :lol:

ETA: Westfield eh? I left Lake Braddock in '07 and am in my second year at GMU.