• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to OC in VA?

hunter45

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Class of 07 at Westfield myself. Went to MSU last year and am at ODU this year.:lol:

Westfield has given itself a bad name now. That heroin bust a few weeks ago made them look really bad.
So are there very many 18-20 year olds at the VCDL meetings?

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
nova wrote:
I won't be hard to miss. Feel free to approach the biggest person you see at the meeting. That'll be me :lol:
Yea I am 6ft tall and Nova makes me look like a LP.:uhoh:
Yeah and that's why when my height on my Maine CFP was only 5'7" I couldn't exactly use it and have people believe it was real...luckly they were fast and I had a corrected permit in two days :)

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Class of 07 at Westfield myself. Went to MSU last year and am at ODU this year.:lol:

Westfield has given itself a bad name now. That heroin bust a few weeks ago made them look really bad.
There's maybe 3-5 on average. Two of them (not including CRFrider and myself) post here on OCDO.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Tell me about it I knew a couple of the people and never would have thought that they were into heroin!:what:

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Tell me about it I knew a couple of the people and never would have thought that they were into heroin!:what:
My school went down hill the last day of my junior year...a gang related stabbing behind the building in the parking lot. And I was near there with my truck parked a few spots down. It sucked being detained by Va State Police/FXCO PD/FX Sheriff with shotguns and rifles at low ready position. Luckly they knew who did it and caught the guy within an hour so I didn't have to go through much.
But that was long ago before I knew my constitutional rights... :banghead:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

We all need to go to the NRA range and get a little time in. I just got some new targets and need to continue breaking in my kel tec:lol: I also need to work on point shooting and left hand shooting which I tried for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was interesting:p

nova

imported post

Sounds good to me. I need to stop by there and get my range card/safety test over with so I don't have to do that when I want to go shooting.

nova

imported post

yeah that's what I've heard other people say as well. Sounds like they're covering their behinds for liability reasons.

nova

imported post

I'll probably drive over there tomorrow and get the test over with so I won't worry about having guns in a range bag. Thanks for the heads up!

tag

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I was at the last one (I'm 18). I'm going to try to be at the next one. I felt a bit out of place when I went, though. I had a baggy black zip-up hoodie on and felt like I looked like a bit of a punk :lol: I'm sure nobody minds though.

fairfax1

imported post

nova wrote:
I'll probably drive over there tomorrow and get the test over with so I won't worry about having guns in a range bag. Thanks for the heads up!
If you are an NRA member, make sure you have your membership number with you. You get the "blue" range card which gives you cheaper rates over non-members.

Here are the range hours:

Monday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesday Closed
Wednesday
5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Thursday
5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday
10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday
8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.

nova

imported post

Thanks for the info! I'll head over there around noon then. I have my NRA card in my wallet. Guess that makes me a "card carrying member." :D

fairfax1

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
We all need to go to the NRA range and get a little time in. I just got some new targets and need to continue breaking in my kel tec:lol: I also need to work on point shooting and left hand shooting which I tried for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was interesting:p
I'm also interested in going with everyone to the NRA range. I need to put some more rounds through my Springfield XD.

VApatriot

imported post

I just turned 20 a week ago, andI've been OCing for over a year now. In that time I have never had any LE encounters. The first real questioning I had about OC under 21 was last week at VA Arms Co. I was buying myself an 870 for my birthday, and the guy filling out the forms and checking my IDs was pretty confused to how I was in possession of a handgunwhile Iwill still be under 21 until next year. He said he just didn't want to see me get into any kind of trouble over it, and I assured him that I wouldn't be carry if I didn't know thatall the applicable laws make it O.K.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Just watch out for a mean old lady on Monday at the NRA range! I went by myself and took a test on a Monday over the summer. I was OCing into the range just figured it would be easier. Anyways this is only my second time ever shooting my pistol back in May. I got up to the counter and paid the lady for the safety card then she asked me what I would be shooting. I told her pistol while pointing to my holstered G19. Well she had a temper tantrum and told me I had to have someone 21 with me to shoot blah blah blah. I told her that I legally can carry openly in Virginia at 18 so why can't I practice so I can be able to defend myself safely? Then I told her I thought that the NRA was better than that and was supposed to support my gun rights!:p I think that made her a little more mad. Well I finally dropped the argument. I have been back to the range many times without even a question as to my age. I guess the lady just wanted to be a royal B**** that day:banghead: Anyways I'm happy to say that I always go without issue and even take friends wih no problem:lol: Just a word of caution is to watch out for the mean old lady on Monday's:what:

VApatriot

imported post

I happened to go to the range both today and last Monday without any problems. The only time I have had an issue was back when I was still under 18 and my brother was under 21. I quick call home and an all clear from my mom was all we needed to get on the range then.

nova

imported post

Oops I overslept (again). Guess I'll head over and get my range card Wednesday after I take one of my finals at GMU since it's not too far from there.

When a range day is set up I'll probably bring my S&W 64-5 since I haven't shot it too much compared to my other guns (I bought it in Feb., shot it enough to know it works, then left it loaded in my bedroom. Now I have a Ruger .357 that fills that role that lets me have one gun to use for HD, OC, and woods protection so now the S&W can have some fun at the range).