• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two viewpoints

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

This is Sharon Thomas for WGHB Channel 9 News. We're here at a local suburban MacDonalds where a man has been taken into custody for questioning because he entered the restaurant openly carrying a pistol on his side. One patron had this to say about the event.

"I went into MacDonalds with my three children and two of their neighborhood friends to enjoy a fun lunch and suddenly I noticed this man sitting in a booth, all alone, wearing a large pistol. I mean, I was shocked and scared at the same time. The place was full of children and, of couse, I had my children and their friends with.. I just don't think it's right for this man or anyone else to be coming into a place like MacDonalds carrying a gun. Who knows who he is or what he has in mind?"

(reporter) I have been told that he wasn't breaking any laws.

"Well I don't know about that but he frightened a bunch of people and some called the police. You see them over there talking to him. He just shouldn't be coming in here like that".

===========================================================

This is Sharon Thomas for WGHB Channel 9 News. We're here at a local suburban MacDonalds where there has been a shooting and several people have been injured and killed. At the time, there was a man in the restaurant who happened to be armed and we're told he responded to the shooter's attack, killing him in the process. This patron says she saw the whole thing.

"I went into MacDonalds with my three children and two of their neighborhood friends to enjoy a fun lunch and suddenly I noticed this man who came into the front of the restaurant and just started shooting people. There were a bunch of children in there at the time. Then this man who was sitting in a booth by himself suddenly pulled his own gun and fired several shots at the other man and he must have hit him because he went down pretty quickly."

(reporter) The man who fired on the shooter was legally carrying a gun.

"Well I don't know about the laws regarding any of that, but thank God he was there and had a gun so he could stop this madman before he hurt anyone else."

Two little scenarios painting a picture of the same carrying event. One where nothing out of the ordinary took place other than a citizen enjoying his rights. And the other where while practicing his rights, he was tasked to use them. I would lay money that in a similar scenario, where patrons were intimidated by an armed citizen, this would most likely be a rather close description of the reactions of people.

Thoughts/comments?

Carnivore

imported post

In todays media i can see where the news forcast would go something like this::

Hi This is Sharon Thomas reporting for WGBH news, from a local McDonalds, 2 Gunmen obviously targeting the same fast food restaurant for their choice of sites to play out a mass killing spree, got into a disagreement on who was going to get to start spraying the crowd of innocent patrons with live rounds first.. One of the gunmen apparently wasn't going to allow the other to steal the limelight, Gumnam "B" started firing first, then Gunman "A" who was obviously on the site first(thus the label "A") got mad and killed gunman "B" When Police arrived, gunman "A" was taken into custody, and will most likely face charges for the whole Shebang..

There you have it, now back to FRED with the weather..:celebrate

nitrovic

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
This is Sharon Thomas for WGHB Channel 9 News. We're here at a local suburban MacDonalds where a man has been taken into custody for questioning because he entered the restaurant openly carrying a pistol on his side. One patron had this to say about the event.

"I went into MacDonalds with my three children and two of their neighborhood friends to enjoy a fun lunch and suddenly I noticed this man sitting in a booth, all alone, wearing a large pistol. I mean, I was shocked and scared at the same time. The place was full of children and, of couse, I had my children and their friends with.. I just don't think it's right for this man or anyone else to be coming into a place like MacDonalds carrying a gun. Who knows who he is or what he has in mind?"

"Well I don't know about that but he frightened a bunch of people and some called the police. You see them over there talking to him. He just shouldn't be coming in here like that".

This is Sharon Thomas for WGHB Channel 9 News. We're here at a local suburban MacDonalds where there has been a shooting and several people have been injured and killed. At the time, there was a man in the restaurant who happened to be armed and we're told he responded to the shooter's attack, killing him in the process. This patron says she saw the whole thing.

"I went into MacDonalds with my three children and two of their neighborhood friends to enjoy a fun lunch and suddenly I noticed this man who came into the front of the restaurant and just started shooting people. There were a bunch of children in there at the time. Then this man who was sitting in a booth by himself suddenly pulled his own gun and fired several shots at the other man and he must have hit him because he went down pretty quickly."

"Well I don't know about the laws regarding any of that, but thank God he was there and had a gun so he could stop this madman before he hurt anyone else."

Two little scenarios painting a picture of the same carrying event. One where nothing out of the ordinary took place other than a citizen enjoying his rights. And the other where while practicing his rights, he was tasked to use them. I would lay money that in a similar scenario, where patrons were intimidated by an armed citizen, this would most likely be a rather close description of the reactions of people.

Thoughts/comments?

I think that's pretty spot on. I know some think, "it can't happen to me", but I've seen "it" happen to people on an almost night basis. Be it larceny, assault, robbery etc. Even in wonderful PWC, "it" happens pretty often. OC by itself can stop things before they start.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
In todays media i can see where the news forcast would go something like this::

Hi This is Sharon Thomas reporting for WGBH news, from a local McDonalds, 2 Gunmen obviously targeting the same fast food restaurant for their choice of sites to play out a mass killing spree, got into a disagreement on who was going to get to start spraying the crowd of innocent patrons with live rounds first.. One of the gunmen apparently wasn't going to allow the other to steal the limelight, Gumnam "B" started firing first, then Gunman "A" who was obviously on the site first(thus the label "A") got mad and killed gunman "B" When Police arrived, gunman "A" was taken into custody, and will most likely face charges for the whole Shebang..

There you have it, now back to FRED with the weather..:celebrate
There ya' go. A different take, tainted by today's heavily biased media. I should have thought of that.

SouthernBoy

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Thoughts/comments?

I think that's pretty spot on. I know some think, "it can't happen to me", but I've seen "it" happen to people on an almost night basis. Be it larceny, assault, robbery etc. Even in wonderful PWC, "it" happens pretty often. OC by itself can stop things before they start.
Thanks.

Some years back when we lived in Arlington, VA, we had some liberal friends who, of course, owned no firearms. The husband was commonly away on business two weeks out of every month and at times, both of the children (a son and a daughter) would be out with friends. That left the wife home alone in a fairly large house in south Arlington.

One night she called my wife and asked her if she could send me over to her house and check out the basement. Seems she had heard some sounds that frightened her. And, oh, by the way, make sure he brings one of his guns.

Both my wife and I have always found that interesting and over the years, have gotten a chuckle out of it. The lady so trusted me with firearms, she asked me to train her son and take him to a range.. which I did. He is now a fine Naval officer and a gentleman, and quite the opposite of his parents and sister. We do like the family, though. We just think they're a little misguided.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Thoughts/comments?

Excellent story for the many people that can't seem tocomprehend the purpose of caring a firearm everywhere you go. On the other hand, it does nothing for open carry specifically because the second scenario would have played out the same if he was concealing, however, there would be no issue in the first scenario.

Oh and big LOL @ Carnivore's story. By far the most realistic, unfortunately.