• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Told to Leave Madison Heights Walmart

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

TFred wrote:
When I read stories like this, especially when it appears that an employee is incorrect, I think how cool it would be to organize something like this, but instead of blue shirts and khaki pants, everyone would be OC!

http://improveverywhere.com/2006/04/23/best-buy/

Imagine the "laws" the LEOs in Norfolk would be trying to make up during such an incident! :quirky

TFred
Thanks for the reminder. I enjoyed their stories and am pleased that they are still in business. I got eleven hits on a site search for "gun" but all for non-firearms.

vbnative73

imported post

Just tell the manager that, in the last 2 weeks, more people have been killed by unarmed customers(1) than armed customers(0). He can pass that along to the people who are "concerned."

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TFred wrote:
When I read stories like this, especially when it appears that an employee is incorrect, I think how cool it would be to organize something like this, but instead of blue shirts and khaki pants, everyone would be OC!

http://improveverywhere.com/2006/04/23/best-buy/

Imagine the "laws" the LEOs in Norfolk would be trying to make up during such an incident! :quirky

TFred
Naw, the LEOs in Norfolk wouldn't bother a big group, they'd just wait for everyone to go home and danbus to be alone before they start making up laws.:lol:

Upon reflection I suppose I could have stuck it out and tried to convince the manager that people who open carry don't pose a threat. But since this was only my second confrontation I was a bit nervous and didn't want to look argumentative and have the police show up.

I think on monday before I call the district manager again I'll call up Chris/William and try to resolve the issue with him. I'll be sure and let him know that his walmart is only minutes away from the only gun range in the Lynchburg area and if this is indeed his policy I will need to make sure the range notifies it's patrons that they should buy their ammo and targets elsewhere.

nitrovic

imported post

asforme wrote:
I was doing some Christmas shopping today about an hour ago with my wife and 8 month old son.  I was wearing a jacket when I came in but took it off about half way through our shopping.  We shopped for about another 45 minutes or so and went to check out.  While in line to check out a manager approached me with two associates on either side flanking me.  Because I've OCd in walmart so many times without issue I've gotten out of the habit of carrying my recorder so I immediately started mentally kicking myself.

But here's my best memory of the conversation:

Man:  I see you have a gun strapped on
Me:  Yes I do
Man:  It's been making some customers nervous, do you have a concealed carry permit
Me:  It's not concealed, there's no permit required.
Man:  Well it's been making some customers nervous
Me:  Does walmart have any policy against carrying firearms?
Man:  This is private property
Me:  I'm aware of that, I'm just wondering if there is a corporate policy or if this is your own policy.
Man:  This is private property
Me:  (taking the hint)  Okay, we'll be going
Man:  I don't want to discourage you from shopping here, but you would have to leave the gun
Me:  Well do you have a business card or could I have your last name?
Man:  My name's Chris, I'm the store manager, our customers aren't comfortable with you carrying that
Me:  Well I wouldn't be comfortable without it, so we'll be going

And we left with our full cart sitting there in front of the checkout.

So immediately I get home and call up 1800-Walmart the first time
Me:  I'm calling to find out what walmart's policy is regarding legally carried firearms in the store
Her:  Did you have a specific issue in the store
Me:  Yes, I was asked to leave the store in Madison Heights, Virginia by store manager Chris because of my legally carried firearm
--She put me on hold for a couple of minutes
Her:  Here is the number for the manager of that sore, William Bridger [um, not Chris, was he lying about being manager?]

I take down the number hoping that Chris wasn't actually a manager and this will be cleared up quickly

So I call the number (434-846-9650) and ask to speak with William Bridger and when I am taken off of hold I get "Hello this is Chris"
Me:  Actually, I need to talk to William Bridger
Him:  That's me, I go by my middle name Chris

I hang up, nothing will be accomplished there

So I call up 1800-walmart again
Me:  I'm calling to find out what walmart's policy is regarding legally carried firearms in the store
Him:  You would need to talk to the store manager about that
Me:  Well I just had an issue in a store involving the store manager so I am trying to find out if walmart has a policy in place as I previously understood to be true
Him:  Well I don't know about that policy, I can give you the number to the district manager.

Gives me the number for George Joiner at the Charlotsville Walmart (434-973-1412)

And now that's where I'm stuck, because George won't be in till Monday.

So untill William/Chris whatever get's his slap on the wrist, stay out of the Madison Heights walmart.

Didn't Wal-mart used to sell guns? You would think you would WANT a good citizen OC'ing in your store. That alone may deter some idiot from pulling a VT incident.

richarcm

imported post

Walmart's policy can not be to follow the laws of the state that the store resides in and at the same time be subject to the store manager's discretion. It's either one or the other. Obviously Walmart is going to obey the state laws.

Walmart basically does not have a corporate policy. Their policies are dictated on a store by store basis. Assuming that there is a corporate policy to respect the state laws is true to the extent that they will not allow you to carry if you are not allowed legally by state law. Otherwise they do not have a policy.

Does that seem accurate? That seems to be my understanding after the many posts about them.....

ghostrider

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Walmart Corp HQ has established a policy regarding firearms in their stores. However, it is a flexible policy that allows the GM's of each store to address the issue according to the demographics where each store is located in, while complying with state laws. Walmart Corp does not want to come off as being anti 2A and the Walton family may very well be pro 2A, which may be why they don't want their stores posted with no firearms signs. But they have to consider the attitude of the vast majority of their customers that don't carry a firearm, which will vary from area to area. They also have to take into consideration how local LE respond to MWG calls. We all no that some LEO's make a big scene when confronting an OCer, which isn't good for business.
It seems to me I remember another thread where the conclusion was more in line with what Task Force 16 is saying here. Does anybody remember?
The information that came out last year of WalMart following state law, was found in the Washington forum IIRC, and that is basically what it said. Walmarts policy is to mirror state law, so if OC is legal in that state, then it's allowed in Walmart. I'd guess that the reason that they ask for a carry permit is because the management at that paticular store is not up on the law (so to speak).

There was (later) another memo that was circulated on the web stating that it was at the descretion of the individual store manager. Problem was that most people who circulated that letter memo to note that it was dated 1998.

The OP was not asked to leave, and left of his own will. That is why it's important to ask that paticular question.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Walmart Corp HQ has established a policy regarding firearms in their stores. However, it is a flexible policy that allows the GM's of each store to address the issue according to the demographics where each store is located in, while complying with state laws. Walmart Corp does not want to come off as being anti 2A and the Walton family may very well be pro 2A, which may be why they don't want their stores posted with no firearms signs. But they have to consider the attitude of the vast majority of their customers that don't carry a firearm, which will vary from area to area. They also have to take into consideration how local LE respond to MWG calls. We all no that some LEO's make a big scene when confronting an OCer, which isn't good for business.
It seems to me I remember another thread where the conclusion was more in line with what Task Force 16 is saying here. Does anybody remember?
The information that came out last year of WalMart following state law, was found in the Washington forum IIRC, and that is basically what it said. Walmarts policy is to mirror state law, so if OC is legal in that state, then it's allowed in Walmart. I'd guess that the reason that they ask for a carry permit is because the management at that paticular store is not up on the law (so to speak).

There was (later) another memo that was circulated on the web stating that it was at the descretion of the individual store manager. Problem was that most people who circulated that letter memo to note that it was dated 1998.

The OP was not asked to leave, and left of his own will. That is why it's important to ask that paticular question.

I wonder what would happen if you actually showed (the person asking) a carry permit. Would they still want you to leave their store? Has this happened to anyone? I know you can just say that you are not required to have a permit to OC, but, how would this situation be handled if you actually did show one? I have OCedat the Walmart in Kingstown without being "approached" (ironically,this Walmart is across the street from the Kingstown 16 where I was approached while OCing).Just curious.

2nd Amendment.........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Frankly, a store clerk (or manager) does not have the authority or the right to ask me for my permit, and I would not dignify the request by showing it to them, or even telling them weather I had one or not. If they want to ask a person engaging in lawful firearms carry to leave, so be it. I would take the suggestion mentioned earlier and point out that the story was going to be posted on the Internet and that it might cost the store some business. The problem is that it is a hollow threat.

If people here really do believe in what we are trying to do here they need to start shopping their politics. I keep reading posts saying that a single person from this forum will not affect a large store like Walmart. This is the same excuse people use to avoid voting (one vote does not count). The fact is that revenue is revenue and stores depend on customers to stay in business, just like politicians depend on voters to stay in office. While any one person here might not have an large impact, the 13,000 members here and their friends and familys pressing the issue with their shopping dollars would.

The problem is people in say Manassas, will continue to shop at Walmarts up here while our brothers and sisters down state are being harassed every time they go to a Walmart local to them. If people were truly dedicated to this cause they would stop shopping at ANY Walmart and tell Walmart corporate why. But a lot of people value their time and money more than their own rights, let alone the rights of a stranger half a state away.

Regards

darthmord

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
I wonder what would happen if you actually showed (the person asking) a carry permit. Would they still want you to leave their store? Has this happened to anyone? I know you can just say that you are not required to have a permit to OC, but, how would this situation be handled if you actually did show one? I have OCedat the Walmart in Kingstown without being "approached" (ironically,this Walmart is across the street from the Kingstown 16 where I was approached while OCing).Just curious.

2nd Amendment.........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X
Ya know, when this situation happens to me, I'll go ahead and show them my CC permit. Afterwards, I'll report it here to the forum. ;)

Spoor

imported post

I shop at this same store but I am always concealed. Occasionally I will go open carry to a restaurant since it is the law.
I am still interested in what you find out. Though I think there isn't enough people who would support a boycott to actually make a difference. I would be more inconvenience that would the store being that Walmart is so easy to get what I need that it would be hard to find the same things elsewhere.
Please keep me posted in what you find out.
Thanks

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have OC'ed in this store on a couple of occasions if I recall and have never had the first issue. The Lynchburg Wal-Mart is where I normally go since it is close by, but I am certainly concerned how the Madison Heights store does business since I go there for different selection on occasion.

asforme let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. I know this store is just down the road from Izaak Walton, where I shoot too, so it's awfully convenient if I get nearby and realize that I forgot something.

soloban

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Didn't Wal-mart used to sell guns? You would think you would WANT a good citizen OC'ing in your store. That alone may deter some idiot from pulling a VT incident.
Yes, Wal-Mart used to sell guns. I heard from a WM Sporting Goods Clerk in NH a couple years back that the reason that they don't sell guns anymore is because of the lack of trained FFL employees. He said that it takes a few months of supervised transactions before a person was able to sell firearms unsupervised. He said WalMart in their infinite wisdom would transfer the trained individuals to a different department or not schedule the trained employees on a smart basis, thus leaving the department without compentent FFL staff. Management basically decided that it wasn't worth the hassle and got out of the gun business.

I purchased a shotgun about 7 years ago at a WalMart in OK and it took 2 hours for them to get an Assistant Manager to show up so he could walk me and my new shotgun out the door. :banghead:

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

soloban wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Yes, Wal-Mart used to sell guns. I heard from a WM Sporting Goods Clerk in NH a couple years back that the reason that they don't sell guns anymore is because of the lack of trained FFL employees. He said that it takes a few months of supervised transactions before a person was able to sell firearms unsupervised. He said WalMart in their infinite wisdom would transfer the trained individuals to a different department or not schedule the trained employees on a smart basis, thus leaving the department without compentent FFL staff. Management basically decided that it wasn't worth the hassle and got out of the gun business.

I purchased a shotgun about 7 years ago at a WalMart in OK and it took 2 hours for them to get an Assistant Manager to show up so he could walk me and my new shotgun out the door. :banghead:
Well, this particular walmart does sell guns, and it used to be where I'd go for ammo since they're right next to the only range in 50 miles.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just for grins I ran up to the Madison Heights Wal-Mart this evening and did some shopping for about 20 minutes. Spent some time in sporting goods, walked the back main aisle and spent some time in Men's without a problem. I'll likely go back tomorrow because I need something else. We'll see what transpires. Oh the ammo counter was pretty bare 'asforme' so you may want to try Lynchburg or Bedford instead.

Spoor

imported post

I buy ammo in Madison Heights quite often and I also go to the one in Altavista. I go to the one in Lynchburg every few years to remind me why I don't go there. If I can be of any help please let me know. Even though I carry concealed, I am interested in our gun rights and the right to carry open if I choose to do so.

Custom Volusia

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Frankly, a store clerk (or manager) does not have the authority or the right to ask me for my permit, and I would not dignify the request by showing it to them, or even telling them weather I had one or not. If they want to ask a person engaging in lawful firearms carry to leave, so be it. I would take the suggestion mentioned earlier and point out that the story was going to be posted on the Internet and that it might cost the store some business. The problem is that it is a hollow threat.

If people here really do believe in what we are trying to do here they need to start shopping their politics. I keep reading posts saying that a single person from this forum will not affect a large store like Walmart. This is the same excuse people use to avoid voting (one vote does not count). The fact is that revenue is revenue and stores depend on customers to stay in business, just like politicians depend on voters to stay in office. While any one person here might not have an large impact, the 13,000 members here and their friends and familys pressing the issue with their shopping dollars would.

The problem is people in say Manassas, will continue to shop at Walmarts up here while our brothers and sisters down state are being harassed every time they go to a Walmart local to them. If people were truly dedicated to this cause they would stop shopping at ANY Walmart and tell Walmart corporate why. But a lot of people value their time and money more than their own rights, let alone the rights of a stranger half a state away.

Regards

A chain-wide boycott isn't really appropriate here though. Since this isn't an issue at all Wal-Marts there is no reason to boycott Wal-Mart in general. One for that particular one? Sure, and it would still be effective. Even though they aren't individually owned, there is still a responsibility set on the general manager to make money. If his particular store sees declining sales corporate would want to know why. If they have letters from various people telling them that they will no longer shop in their store because of OC issues, then they would know why and most likely correct the issue one way or another. But I don't see a reason to boycott the Battlefield Wal-Mart when they have yet to say a word to me (or several other members here) about carrying there. It might hurt sales for them faster, but there isn't an issue with most of the stores.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I disagree. There are reasons beyond RKABA to boycott Wal-Mart.

I fought big-box stores in Santa Cruz, CA and fight them now in Sturgeon Bay, WI. To see the results of losing the fight against big-boxes look to Myrtle Beach, SC or Santa Cruz.

Do not conflate or confuse capitalism with conservatism.