• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone shot the Winchester sxz40 hollow points?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TN_TITANS wrote:
Just curious to see if anyone has shot any of the Winchester SXZ 40 hollow point ammunition?
I have carried and shot the SXT 40 cal - very good defensive load.

Haven't tried the SXZ yet - it is supposed to be the next generation that originated with the much maligned black talon. The growth chart shows Ranger - Ranger T - Ranger SX - Ranger SXT and now SXZ.

Yata hey

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I saw this post earlier and it reminded me that I had seen these rounds at a Bass Pro Shops in Richmond. Looking at the Winchester and Bass Pro websites I found no ballistic info for the rounds so I sent a message to Winchester and they only took a few hours to provide the info. Although I haven't yet purchased or tried out the ammo I figured I'd post the info they provided on the 9mm, .40 cal and .45 cal rounds they make.

Code:
Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us here at Winchester Ammunition. We are always glad to hear from our many friends and customers who share in the shooting sport.

SXZ9P 115gr (PP) Muzzel Velocity 1190 fps muzzel energy 362 ft-lbs
SXZ9T 115 gr (T) 1190 fps 362 Ft-Lbs

SXZ40P 180gr (PP) 1010 fps 408 ft-lbs
SXZ40T 180gr (T) 1010fps 408 ft-lbs

SXZ45P 230gr (PP) 880FPS 395 ft-lbs
SXZ45T 230gr (T) 880fps 395 ft-lbs

Thank you again for contacting us here at Winchester Ammunition. If you should require additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Winchester Technical Department

nova

imported post

From the pictures I've seen, SXZ is nothing more than WWB JHPs (which are nothing more than Silvertips without the silver coating) with the black lubalox coating on the bullet.

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree. I find the Ranger SXT (LE packaged) 180gr to be a much better design. The new Federal HST is some nice stuff too. I picked up a box of 50 online of the 155gr for $24 or so. Fairfax Co PD (VA) is using the 165gr version.