• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wat to say When Asked to leave......

Glockguy

imported post

I was just curious Wat a lot of your responses are when your confronted about OCing... If your Either Asked to leave a store or Asked why you OC compared To Conceal carry.. Are you ever Nervous about OCing??? Im always Worried about Law Enforcement...

Orygunner

imported post

I have not been asked to leave anywhere, yet, but here's my plan.

If asked to leave, my first question is going to be: "Are you a 'Person in charge'? Because I am only required to leave by Oregon State Trespassing Law if a 'Person in charge' asks me to leave."

If they do not claim to be a "person in charge," I'll demand to speak to the store Manager or Owner.

If they say yes, or further insist I leave, I will take out my voice recorder (cell phone) andstart recording. I will inform them they are being audio recorded, and tell them to state their name, their position, the request to leave the business, and why they are telling me to leave. I will tell themthat they had better be damn sure they are abiding by their company policy by ordering a paying customer to leave, because this recording will be given to the owner/district manager/president of the company.

If it IS the owner (small business), I will inform them that their business will be added to a national "do not patronize" list, the recording will be posted on the internet, and let's see how they like losing paying customers in this tough economy due to their narrow minded descrimination. :cool:

How close I'm going to be able to stick to my plan, I'm not sure. I'll have to see what happens when it happens. If I can spot trouble coming ahead of time, I'll start my recorder before the confrontation starts and notify them they are being recorded as soon as possible.

Yes, I've been nervous OCing, when I first started, and when I OC after not carrying for awhile. After a bit, it gets more comfortable.

...Orygunner...

Fred Kenpo

imported post

Orygunner wrote:

If asked to leave, my first question is going to be: "Are you a 'Person in charge'? Because I am only required to leave by Oregon State Trespassing Law if a 'Person in charge' asks me to leave."
I'm not a lawyer, but I do know something about business law. Anyone with "apparent authority" can act as a person in charge. Apparent authority occurs when someone in a store comes up to you, is an employee, and asks you to leave. So your distinction might be moot.

JBURGII

imported post

Apparent authority can be the case as some grocery stores for instance don't always have an actual manager on duty at that moment (mngr hiding in office afraid to come out?). I have taken a 'senior clerk' for the person in charge but with an immediate request for the handiest manager or schedule for first thing the moment the manager becomes available.

I REALLY need to update my voice recorder to digital.. I feel a little conspicuous with my radio shack tape deck and lollipop mic.. sigh..

Orygunner

imported post

Fred Kenpo wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

I'm not a lawyer, but I do know something about business law. Anyone with "apparent authority" can act as a person in charge. Apparent authority occurs when someone in a store comes up to you, is an employee, and asks you to leave. So your distinction might be moot.

Yes, I understand that Oregon law is very vague concerning a "person in charge" and it essentially means anyone the owner or manager allows to ask people to leave.

If the person doesn't KNOW they are a "person in charge" and responds with something like "no, I'm not" or "I don't know," then if that is captured on my recording, I would imagine it would only help my side if charges were to be pressed. "The person SAID they were not a 'person in charge', so how can trespassing charges apply?"

I'm not going to stand toe-to-toe with some peon and argue anyway. I want the manager/supervisor/owner (the REAL "person in charge" at the time), and will abide by their request to leave (then follow the rest of my plan).

...Orygunner...

JBURGII

imported post

I go for the top. The minute I hear ".. you can't.." I cut in with " Excuse me but I will need to see the store manager asap, I will be waiting for him/her at *location*. This is assuming you are not already talking to them.. The key is not to bow down and obey at a moments notice.. I take as long as I can getting ahold of the highest rank I can then talking about the subject till I am blue in the face.. request names, phone numbers of corporate, copies of corporate policy.. etc.. etc.. as the event dictates..

J