• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rock River Arms 1911

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Anyone know anything about the Rock River Arms 1911. I know the are on hiatus for making them, but there are still a lot of them out there for sale. Are they a decent pistol? The price is significantly lowere than other 1911's.

Evil Ernie

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For starters, Rock River Arms makes primarily custom AR-15s. They've made 1911s in the past, but they were all high-end custom jobs.

As for Rock Island Armory, they finish ARMSCOR 1911s into some very nice pistols at very affordable prices. These are the guns I assume you guys were referring to.

I own two of them, and I love them both. Incidentally, they build them quite in-spec these days, and they are easily modified with minimal fitting of (quality) aftermarket parts.

Here are my Rocks -- although the Tactical model has since had the slide stop replaced with a Wilson Combat stop, which I polished to match the thumb safety and stainless pins (which includes the mainspring housing pin, although it doesn't look like it in this photo):
img0994bx6.jpg

(These will require registration but they're worth it: )
This guy took some wonderful pictures of one of their new nickel Tactical models that he picked up:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=59360&page=2

And this thread has some more of a nickel Tactical as well as a picture of one of the new duo-tone Tacticals:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=57488&page=2

Can you tell what I want to buy really badly? :p