• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia firearm instant background check delays

rebfan

imported post

Same here. In fact, I just purchased a gun last month and it took about 5 minutes. A few years ago it was under that.

Sheriff

imported post

longwatch wrote:
If you have an arrest record, you may be delayed. With the surge in sales recently delays that used to be resolved in 20-30 minutes take about 1-2 hours ...
Absolutely. Can be no debate there.

This also includes false arrests that have not been expunged from a person's record yet.

darthmord

imported post

I've had it take more time to enter the data for start the check ( < 2 minutes ) and also take 3-4 hours.

I've been told that it can be delayed if I have a security clearance, have any arrests for misdemeanor stuff, first time purchase, just got a CC permit, or even a simple backlog on processing checks.

Honestly, it's a government system. I wouldn't be surprised to find out solar andplanetary movements and positions cause delays.

But backlog and odd/duplicative/flag raising data are the most likely cuplrits based on my experience with similar systems.

JR-Ewing

imported post

I've purchased two firearms here in VA and both times I experienced a delay. The first was actually several days, the second, about an hour.

I've heard it's because I've got a clearance, I've heard it's because of the fingerprints, and I've also heard it's because I've got a PDRM SSN.

Bottom line, who knows, and either way, you eventually end up (like I did) with the firearm you want.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Before I received my concealed carry permit mine took an hour or three (I provide no SSN). Since I got my permit the VSP has read back an approval number during the initial call submitting the information about half of the time...including last Saturday.

Either that or they recognize my unique name and reply, "Oh, him again. He's approved." (Ha, Ha...kidding...I hope.)

:cool:

JR-Ewing

imported post

For me, both times, I'd already had my VA CHP for over 2 years. So, nope, that doesn't make a difference.

Tho, someone mentioned to me there's a way to get a "PIN" number from VSP and all you need to do is put that on the form and when the dealer calls it in, the reply is almost (if not completely) instantaneous.

ravonaf

imported post

I've made 3 purchases in the last 3 months. The first two times it took over an hour each time (pre-election purchases). The third purchase it didn't go through until the next day. I do work on a government installation with a very low level clearance. I also have a very uncommon name.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

JR-Ewing wrote:
snip......Tho, someone mentioned to me there's a way to get a "PIN" number from VSP and all you need to do is put that on the form and when the dealer calls it in, the reply is almost (if not completely) instantaneous.
I have never heard of such - details please - the line forms at the rear, take a number.

Actually, I'd be very surprised at the validity of this, but who knows.........

Yata hey

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
JR-Ewing wrote:
snip......Tho, someone mentioned to me there's a way to get a "PIN" number from VSP and all you need to do is put that on the form and when the dealer calls it in, the reply is almost (if not completely) instantaneous.
I have never heard of such - details please - the line forms at the rear, take a number.

Actually, I'd be very surprised at the validity of this, but who knows.........

Yata hey

That's the gist of it.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/lettertoffls.htm

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/vafbrocheng.pdf

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

No no - that is through the FBI, not the Virginia State Police to which JR-Ewing alluded. Probably just something lost in translation/conversation I would presume.

The FBI has enough on me in there files now :? without my requesting that they maintain more.............then again I guess maybe they've got it anyhow.

Yata hey

VAopencarry

imported post

longwatch wrote:
If you want to know why you are being delayed, don't speculate, call the firearms transaction center and they will probably give you an answer. In my experience running the checks about 3 out of 4 people are instantly approved. Most of the delays are usually common names. In my opinion it doesn't matter if you have a CHP, clearances, LEO creds, I have seen all instantly approved or delayed. If you are born overseas, citizen or not you are most likely going to be delayed. If you have an arrest record, you may be delayed. With the surge in sales recently delays that used to be resolved in 20-30 minutes take about 1-2 hours and up 6-8 hours on a gun show weekend.

For more information go to:
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm
LW's post pretty much sums it up. I'll let you all in on a little secret. The gun community is full of a lot of BS. Clearance doesn't mean poop. The length of time of your delay is a function of how busy or not busy they are at the Forearms Transaction Center. Fifteen minutes one time, 2 hours the next, doesn't mean anything other then if they are busy at the transaction center.

If there is an 'issue' with your background(not similiar name) and it takes a day or 2 to clear up it is likely the next time will not take as long because they have resolved the 'issue' already.

Bottom line it doesn't matter much, you get felayed or you don't get delayed. If you know you get delayed don't try to buy a gun an hour before the dealer closes and expect to go home with your gun.

Also, it doesn't matter what your job is , FBI, SS, local LEO, CIA, NRO, et al . So keep your ego in check and don't get bent out of shape thinking you are special because of some 'creds' that you have. The NICS and State system does not care.

IanB

imported post

Very true VAOC.

I have a unique name, expunged felonies, a clearance, fingerprints on file, VA CHP, born out of state, etc..

I am always approved. And FAST. Like so fast I'm always cleared in the time it takes to go outside and have a smoke after my paperwork is submitted. When I bought my Sig P226 the dealer poked his head outside to let me know I was "good to go".Time since paperwork submitted? 3 minutes.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
longwatch wrote:
If you want to know why you are being delayed, don't speculate, call the firearms transaction center and they will probably give you an answer. In my experience running the checks about 3 out of 4 people are instantly approved. Most of the delays are usually common names. In my opinion it doesn't matter if you have a CHP, clearances, LEO creds, I have seen all instantly approved or delayed. If you are born overseas, citizen or not you are most likely going to be delayed. If you have an arrest record, you may be delayed. With the surge in sales recently delays that used to be resolved in 20-30 minutes take about 1-2 hours and up 6-8 hours on a gun show weekend.

For more information go to:
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm
LW's post pretty much sums it up. I'll let you all in on a little secret. The gun community is full of a lot of BS. Clearance doesn't mean poop. The length of time of your delay is a function of how busy or not busy they are at the Forearms Transaction Center. Fifteen minutes one time, 2 hours the next, doesn't mean anything other then if they are busy at the transaction center.

If there is an 'issue' with your background(not similiar name) and it takes a day or 2 to clear up it is likely the next time will not take as long because they have resolved the 'issue' already.

Bottom line it doesn't matter much, you get felayed or you don't get delayed. If you know you get delayed don't try to buy a gun an hour before the dealer closes and expect to go home with your gun.

Also, it doesn't matter what your job is , FBI, SS, local LEO, CIA, NRO, et al . So keep your ego in check and don't get bent out of shape thinking you are special because of some 'creds' that you have. The NICS and State system does not care.

Hear, hear! Well put, VAopencarry!

And how busy they are at the Firearms Transaction Center has an impact.

Let's see if I remember -- Firearms Transaction Center for buying guns. Forearms Transaction Center for carrying them??? :lol:

sailer

imported post

TFred wrote:
According to a post on this thread (the link should jump right to the post), it's the existence of a fingerprint record that causes the delay.
Nope, that can't be it.

I've been fingerprinted for many reasons included security clearances, but I haven't been delayed until recently.

The shop owner told me that almost 80% of his customers are now delayed and this hasn't always been the case. He also told me that LEOs are usually delayed (and obviously that seems strange).

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

mariner wrote:
The shop owner told me that almost 80% of his customers are now delayed and this hasn't always been the case.
Sounds like the "instant" system isn't.

Used to be that the dealer would hear approved while still on the phone with them.

When the delays started for me (a few years ago), the dealer would usually get called back with an "approved" after 10 or 15 minutes, but the delay is still aggrevating.

It's got me considering applying for the FBI's VAF (as I link to previously) in hopes of eliminating the delays.