Thread: Well, it has been 45 days...

Post imported post

Applied for a concealed handgun permit on October 22, so day 45 was December 6. This is in Chesapeake, where they have chosen to mail it to the applicant after it is approved or not.
    Do I have to go back to the clerk's office to get a temporary permit, or should I be expecting that in the mail? Anyone have a similar experience in Chesapeake?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I don't know if they mail it or not, but I'd say go down on Monday and get your temporary. There really is no reason for it to take 45 days, plenty of localities with fewer resources issue them in a few weeks.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Yeah, it generally takes 3-4 weeks here in Prince William County. Checking this out might be high on your list at this point.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I got a letter on the 45th day from the sheriff in Suffolk telling me my permit had been processed by his office (not that it was ready) and telling me about my "responsibilities as an armed citizen" and such.

I was going to check it out at the court house, but the letter came saying the permit was ready the next day...

Post imported post

I had a similar problem in Albemarle County when I applied for my initial one. When I called the clerk after 48 days, she said the judge is busy and he would get to it when he got to it. T his was at 11 AM. So I called the Chief Justice of the Supreme Courts office and spoke to his clerk. His clerk thanked me for calling and said the Chief Justice was very concerned about this. He then transfered me to the Board of Judicial Review. To make a long story short, I got a call at 2 telling me to come get my permit. Amazeing how fast some wheels can turn. My advice is to make a couple of calls.

Goliath

Post imported post

Goliath wrote:
    I had a similar problem in Albemarle County when I applied for my initial one. When I called the clerk after 48 days, she said the judge is busy and he would get to it when he got to it. T his was at 11 AM. So I called the Chief Justice of the Supreme Courts office and spoke to his clerk. His clerk thanked me for calling and said the Chief Justice was very concerned about this. He then transfered me to the Board of Judicial Review. To make a long story short, I got a call at 2 telling me to come get my permit. Amazeing how fast some wheels can turn. My advice is to make a couple of calls.

Goliath
    yep, vcdl.org tells you exactly who to write to if your permit is taking longer than 45 days to issue.

Post imported post

In Chesapeake the clerk of the court is really CHP friendly. I had a 35 day waitfor my permit. Call the clerk first thing in the morning.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

On day 47, I went to the court in Roanoke to check on the status of my permit. I was told that it was on the judges desk, he was in court, and that they would let me know when it was ready. I smiled and politely informed them that by law I was to be issued a temporary permit. They asked me to have a seat.

10 minutes later, my permit miraculously appeared

Go down on Monday and talk to them in person...things get done when you're standing there and not on the phone.

Post imported post

I just love living in BFE, my wife got her first permit in less than 21 days, no fingerprints and it only cost $15.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

Post imported post

Went to the clerk's office this morning and asked for a temporary. Turns out, permit was ready and was sitting in their outgoing mailbox.

Post imported post

WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:
    Went to the clerk's office this morning and asked for a temporary. Turns out, permit was ready and was sitting in their outgoing mailbox.
    HA! likely story on their part.

but glad you got it!