• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal Identification KRS law ?

Statesman

imported post

I'm wanting to know if there is a KRS that requires a Kentucky resident to obtain and have on their person, some form of government issued identification at all times when out in public.

I would especially like to hear from any KY police officers on this subject.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_Identify

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_a..._.E2.80.9Cstop-and-identify.E2.80.9D_statutes

Do y'all understand just how difficult it is to prove that something does not exist - in law or in logic? In law you have to examine every statute and sub-section and interpret it liberally in the direction of the question. In logic it is a student's exercise to understand and show that an universally quantified statement is falsified by a counter-example and to find one the whole universe of discourse must be examined.

Statesman

imported post

Well, I'm not a laywer. Since ignorance of the law is no defense, I would have to say yes. ;)

Because of this, I think our entire legal system is ambiguous and asinine. If we left it up the legislative branch to tell us which ways it is unlawful to tie our shoes, we'd have spent around 50 billion USD codifying the tying of shoes.

Only in government can this happen.

I think specifically, I was told that I was "required by law" to actually have identification, on my person, anytime I go out in public. I say it's not true, however a friend of mine is saying the opposite. You provided two links on "stop and identify", which doesn't seem to require any kind of official identification card or license.

Thank you for the comments and links.

tito887

imported post

I would ask the question, would it matter if there was a law. I don't think I would carry my papers even if it was required. If I do go out I'm usually not driving and if I'm open carrying I purposely leave my id at home. I don't need it and neither do you.

tito887

imported post

I want to address something. Like a lot of things we are conditioned to believe, the idea that "ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law." I believed that without thinking much about what I was saying. Is that really true? Can ignorance of the law really not be an excuse when there are literally thousands of laws out there? I know it's easy to understand," don't hurt other people." But our local and state plus federal statues and codes have so many laws that don't even address the idea of not hurting other people that I find it laughable that anyone person could know either the language of the law or the meaning. Just something to think about.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law." That is not true. That is a con job by the court.

There is only one person in the US that is required to be learned in the law. That is the Solicitor General.

28 USC 505 - The President shall appoint in the Department of Justice, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, a Solicitor General, learned in the law, to assist the Attorney General in the performance of his duties.

28 USC 503 - The President shall appoint, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, an Attorney General of the United States. The Attorney General is the head of the Department of Justice.

So, if only one person must know the law and it is not you then how would Ignorance of the law not be an excuse???????

superdemon

imported post

color of law wrote:
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law." That is not true. That is a con job by the court.

There is only one person in the US that is required to be learned in the law. That is the Solicitor General.

28 USC 505 - The President shall appoint in the Department of Justice, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, a Solicitor General, learned in the law, to assist the Attorney General in the performance of his duties.

28 USC 503 - The President shall appoint, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, an Attorney General of the United States. The Attorney General is the head of the Department of Justice.

So, if only one person must know the law and it is not you then how would Ignorance of the law not be an excuse???????
Because you are confusing "excuse" and "defense".

What the term actually means is there is not a positive defense against conviction of a crime simply by arguing that you didn't know the act was a crime.

If so, the only defense a person would have to present in court is "Crud, I didn't know it was illegal."

Again and again, the people of this forum disapoint me with their "interpretation" of laws to suit them.

The anti-government sentiment in here is really starting to get old...

superdemon

imported post

And as a Kentucky police officer, I can tell you that no, you do not have to have ID on your person to go out and about.

However, if you are stopped when driving, you must present an operator's license upon request.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Statesman wrote:
I'm wanting to know if there is a KRS that requires a Kentucky resident to obtain and have on their person, some form of government issued identification at all times when out in public.

I would especially like to hear from any KY police officers on this subject.
There is no such law in KY nor any other state - nor could there be under Kolender v. Lawson (striking down ordinance requiring people to carry and prodeuce on demand to the police identification).

Further, Hiibel limits state stop and ID statutes to persons subject to bone fide Terry stops, appears to limit reach of statute to only require a person state their name, and further, notes that those with Fifth Amendment interests at stake (i.e., bad guys) could lawfully refuse to state their name.

Hiible makes little sense(e.g., how does the citizen know what "reasonable articulable suspicion" is in the mind of the oficer detainer her?, why have a statute only applicable to good guys, etc.) and both the Nev. S. Ct. and US S. Ct. were sharply divided on the issue, both tribunals only being one vote away from striking down the statute. An Obama S. Ct. pick, if it replaces one of the Hiibel majority jusitices, would probably vote to reverse or limitHiibel were the issue to come up again.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

superdemon wrote:
color of law wrote:

What the term actually means is there is not a positive defense against conviction of a crime simply by arguing that you didn't know the act was a crime.

If so, the only defense a person would have to present in court is "Crud, I didn't know it was illegal."

Again and again, the people of this forum disapoint me with their "interpretation" of laws to suit them.

We must agree to disagree. You are a police officer, which means you are at a disadvantage. I understand. I am a paralegal. Paralegals are usually 10 times smarter than attorneys and 20 smarter than judges.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

color of law wrote:
We must agree to disagree. You are a police officer, which means you are at a disadvantage. I understand. I am a paralegal. Paralegals are usually 10 times smarter than attorneys and 20 smarter than judges.

ROTFL!

superdemon

imported post

color of law wrote:
superdemon wrote:
color of law wrote:

Ok, would you like to fill me in on how my argument is wrong?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ignorance of the law is no excuse

The statement "ignorance of the law is no excuse" is an ancient legal doctrine: Ignorance of the law excuses no man; not that all men know the law; but because 'tis an excuse every man will plead, and no man can tell how to confute him. John Selden (1584-1654), posthumously published in Table Talk, 1689.

If a defendant were allowed to escape legal responsibility for his acts, merely by saying "I didn't know it was wrong/illegal", the system of using law to regulate human conduct would collapse. So the doctrine is a practical necessity.

This doctrine still has vitality and validity today. See, for example, Ratzlaf v. U.S., 510 U.S. 135, 149 (1994); U.S. v. Freed, 401 U.S. 601, 612 (1971) (Brennan, J., concurring); Minnesota v. King, 257 N.W.2d 693, 697 (1977).

However, the law in the USA has swelled to a size that is unknowable even by experts. In Oct 1998, the annotated edition of the U.S. Code (i.e., federal statutes) occupied 32 feet of library shelf space. In Oct 1998, the annotated edition of the New York state statutes occupied 22 feet of library shelf space. Who can know all that is within these pages? A criminal law class in law school contains only about 40 hours of lectures, mostly about homicides, with a little about larceny and rape. The only solution seems to be a detailed search of statutes and cases in a database on a computer (e.g., WESTLAW), plus the avoidance of any behavior that harms people, either through physical, financial, or emotional injury, or by deceit.

A related concept in law is "wilful blindness": the criminal defendant who should have known, and could have asked, but deliberately chose not to ask. The law regards "willful blindness" as equivalent to knowledge. U.S. v. Jewell, 532 F.2d 697, 700-701 (9th Cir. 1976), cert. denied, 426 U.S. 951 (1976). Cited with approval in U.S. v. Lara-Velasquez, 919 F.2d. 946, 950-951 (5th Cir. 1990).
Based on the the above quote it would appear ignorance of the law is no excuse is on shaky ground.

I have a 2000 addition/copy of the federal United States code. It's now 35 feet tall. I also have a copy of all the federal laws enforce in 1935. It's 4" thick.

If "ignorance of the law is no excuse" applies to the citizen, then it also applies to the LEO.

So, the LEO does not get to escape his arrest/citation of the citizen because he did not know the citizen did not break the law. The LEO has a duty to know the law. The LEO makes out a complaint and signs it under penalty of perjury. The LEO said that the citizen broke the law as written. The LEO did not sign under penalty of perjury that the citizen broke the law as to what the LEO thought he understood the law to say.

So, on cross examination of the officer on the stand the following takes place.

Pro se/defendant: Officer, you cited the defendant for xxx, is that correct?

Officer: Yes.

Pro se/defendant: Officer, what legal authority did you rely on to make the legal determination that the defendant violated the law?

Prosecutor: Object, the officer is not an attorney and he cannot make a legal determination that the defendant violated the law.

Pro se/defendant: Judge, is that true the officer cannot make a legal determination?

Judge: That is correct, the officer cannot make a legal determination.

Pro se/defendant: Judge, based on your deternination that the officer cannot make a legal determination as to what the law is and if it was violated, then neither can the defendant make the legal determination that he violated the law. Judge, based on your determination you must dismiss the case.

As you can see ignorance of the law is an excuse.

http://tinyurl.com/6vg6kh

superdemon

imported post

color of law wrote:
ignorance of the law is no excuse

The statement "ignorance of the law is no excuse" is an ancient legal doctrine: Ignorance of the law excuses no man; not that all men know the law; but because 'tis an excuse every man will plead, and no man can tell how to confute him. John Selden (1584-1654), posthumously published in Table Talk, 1689.

If a defendant were allowed to escape legal responsibility for his acts, merely by saying "I didn't know it was wrong/illegal", the system of using law to regulate human conduct would collapse. So the doctrine is a practical necessity.

This doctrine still has vitality and validity today. See, for example, Ratzlaf v. U.S., 510 U.S. 135, 149 (1994); U.S. v. Freed, 401 U.S. 601, 612 (1971) (Brennan, J., concurring); Minnesota v. King, 257 N.W.2d 693, 697 (1977).

However, the law in the USA has swelled to a size that is unknowable even by experts. In Oct 1998, the annotated edition of the U.S. Code (i.e., federal statutes) occupied 32 feet of library shelf space. In Oct 1998, the annotated edition of the New York state statutes occupied 22 feet of library shelf space. Who can know all that is within these pages? A criminal law class in law school contains only about 40 hours of lectures, mostly about homicides, with a little about larceny and rape. The only solution seems to be a detailed search of statutes and cases in a database on a computer (e.g., WESTLAW), plus the avoidance of any behavior that harms people, either through physical, financial, or emotional injury, or by deceit.

A related concept in law is "wilful blindness": the criminal defendant who should have known, and could have asked, but deliberately chose not to ask. The law regards "willful blindness" as equivalent to knowledge. U.S. v. Jewell, 532 F.2d 697, 700-701 (9th Cir. 1976), cert. denied, 426 U.S. 951 (1976). Cited with approval in U.S. v. Lara-Velasquez, 919 F.2d. 946, 950-951 (5th Cir. 1990).
Based on the the above quote it would appear ignorance of the law is no excuse is on shaky ground.

I have a 2000 addition/copy of the federal United States code. It's now 35 feet tall. I also have a copy of all the federal laws enforce in 1935. It's 4" thick.

If "ignorance of the law is no excuse" applies to the citizen, then it also applies to the LEO.

So, the LEO does not get to escape his arrest/citation of the citizen because he did not know the citizen did not break the law. The LEO has a duty to know the law. The LEO makes out a complaint and signs it under penalty of perjury. The LEO said that the citizen broke the law as written. The LEO did not sign under penalty of perjury that the citizen broke the law as to what the LEO thought he understood the law to say.

So, on cross examination of the officer on the stand the following takes place.

Pro se/defendant: Officer, you cited the defendant for xxx, is that correct?

Officer: Yes.

Pro se/defendant: Officer, what legal authority did you rely on to make the legal determination that the defendant violated the law?

Prosecutor: Object, the officer is not an attorney and he cannot make a legal determination that the defendant violated the law.

Pro se/defendant: Judge, is that true the officer cannot make a legal determination?

Judge: That is correct, the officer cannot make a legal determination.

Pro se/defendant: Judge, based on your deternination that the officer cannot make a legal determination as to what the law is and if it was violated, then neither can the defendant make the legal determination that he violated the law. Judge, based on your determination you must dismiss the case.

As you can see ignorance of the law is an excuse.

http://tinyurl.com/6vg6kh

No.

You are confusing misinterpretation of the law with ignorance of the law, and that is not only the biggest problem I see with people in this forum, it is the problem that will get you into trouble more than any other thing.

Again, you are wrong.

A misinterpretation of the law and ignorance of the fact of the law itself are two very, very different things, my friend.

The Link you posted only strengthensMY argument.

As an LEO, I can tell you that if we BOTH misinterpret a law, the favor WILL GO TO ME. As long as I acted in what is called "good faith", any mistakes on either side will be in my favor. That is one of the points that I try my damndest to get across in these forums, and it is one that very few non LEOs understand...

I am allowed to be "ignorant of the law", as long as I acted in good faith. You, as a citizen, are not allowed that luxury...

Is it biased for LEOs? Yes. Is there anything that you or I can do about it? No.

I consider myself a citizen first, and an LEO second.

I am with you in your fight to OC. I belong to the Constitutionalist Party. We have out own version of the Pledge of Allegiance. If you doubt me, check out my profile...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

superdemon wrote:
No.
As an LEO, I can tell you that if we BOTH misinterpret a law, the favor WILL GO TO ME. As long as I acted in what is called "good faith", any mistakes on either side will be in my favor. That is one of the points that I try my damndest to get across in these forums, and it is one that very few non LEOs understand...
Um, not quite, but not quite wrong either.

Under Saucier v. Katz, LEOs are due "qualified immunity" in Section 1983 actions for violations of civil rights as follows: First,the court determines whether the law governing the officer's conduct was "clearly established." If the law is "clearly established," then the court determines whether a reasonable officer could have believed, in light of the clearly established law, that his conduct was lawful.

So LEOs do not get a freebie if they misinterpret the law - it is assumed they know law which is "clearly established." The question then becomes whether (assuming the LEO knew the clearly established law) under the facts at the scene, might a reasonable [not the actual] officer have believed that his conduct was lawful.

Whether the LEOs conduct is further actionable under state law is another matter that will vary from state to state.

superdemon

imported post

Mike wrote:
superdemon wrote:
No.
Um, not quite, but not quite wrong either.

Under Saucier v. Katz, LEOs are due "qualified immunity" in Section 1983 actions for violations of civil rights as follows: First,the court determines whether the law governing the officer's conduct was "clearly established." If the law is "clearly established," then the court determines whether a reasonable officer could have believed, in light of the clearly established law, that his conduct was lawful.

So LEOs do not get a freebie if they misinterpret the law - it is assumed they know law which is "clearly established." The question then becomes whether (assuming the LEO knew the clearly established law) under the facts at the scene, might a reasonable [not the actual] officer have believed that his conduct was lawful.

Whether the LEOs conduct is further actionable under state law is another matter that will vary from state to state.

SIr,

We are saying the same thing, I just much prefer to use layman's terms. Again, "good faith" is the same thing as what you are saying.

If, in "good faith" I beleive my (an LEO) actions to be an accurate reflection of the law, I am covered.

If, in "good faith" a citizen believes their actions to be an accurate reflection of the law, they are not covered.

Not saying it is fair or not, just saying that is the way it is.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

superdemon wrote:
Again, "good faith" is the same thing as what you are saying.

If, in "good faith" I beleive my (an LEO) actions to be an accurate reflection of the law, I am covered.
No, it's not the same thing, read Saucier. It does not matter what you think as an officer - that factor is irrelevant.

superdemon

imported post

Mike wrote:
superdemon wrote:

No, it's not the same thing, read Saucier. It does not matter what you think as an officer - that factor is irrelevant.

And I am speaking of the general principle of good faith, not what is spelled out in one particular decision.

In general, if I think what I am doing is lawful, and can reasonably articulate it as so, I am covered. I might make myself seem like a totally ignorant twit in spelling out my reasoning, but I am still covered.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

superdemon wrote:
Mike wrote:
superdemon wrote:

And I am speaking of the general principle of good faith, not what is spelled out in one particular decision.

In general, if I think what I am doing is lawful, and can reasonably articulate it as so, I am covered. I might make myself seem like a totally ignorant twit in spelling out my reasoning, but I am still covered.
Penalty Flag on the Play: Proffering rule of law without citing to authority.