• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FNP-9 (a Blackhawk Serpa that fits 92%)

FMCDH

imported post

While I was considering the purchase of a Fabrique Nantionale P-9, I started looking around for good holsters for the pistol. Aside from having custom leather holster made for the pistol, and MOST not having any kind of retention, there are not many choices for this MFGs pistols, especially for OC.

(Note: Browning Pro-9 is the exact same gun marketed for sport shooting)

I should note that I did some extensive research online for options other than custom order holsters and found nada. Blackhawk or other Serpa type MFGs do not yet have molds for FN guns other than the 5.7. The best choice of holsters for this gun can be found at www.safariland.com but not a single one is a Serpa style.

So, I started pulling Blackhawk holsters from the wall of my favorite local gun merchant and testing them with the pistol. After about 15 min I found an unlikely candidate, the Serpa CQC for the H&K P-30, PN: 410517BK-R.

Review:
This holster fits to about 92% on the FNP-9, and retains well. The trigger guard covers about 85% of the trigger well, and the de-cocking lever and magazine release are left open for access as it should be. When inserting the pistol, there is a brief resistance near the end of its seating and an audible click as the retention button takes hold. The holster has a bit more flaring up at the top then is necessary for this slimmer pistol, but there is no side to side play that I can detect. The holster has an extra 1/4 inch of clearance to the muzzle, just enough to protect it, but not enough to extend further then necessary.

A Note on Retention:
I would suggest setting the retention screw pretty tight. It adds some push to the seating of the pistol but also keeps it from popping up to the safety spot where the button cannot be pressed for release. Kept too loose, it will "jump" in that safety area with wear and it may hinder the ability to draw in an emergency. The safety area overall is VERY small and will only retain if the pistol is sitting at the top of the seat or if its being pulling before the button is pressed, just like it should be in a Serpa, but it will take a "slight" bit of getting used to since its not quite flawless like you may be used to with Serpa's that are specifically made for the pistol.

Experience:
I suggest taking your FNP-9 with you to the store and trying it out for yourself. After a bit of tweaking with the retention screw you will find your sweet spot. My carry experience has been positive, and with carry in a car, at a restaurant and at home, I haven't had any trouble of it popping up into the safety zone. The only scenario I can foresee this being an issue is with jogging or jumping, something that jars it around in the holster. In that case, all you need to do is push slightly down on the pistol just before pushing the button to draw, and it will clear just fine. The initial weight of your hand on the grip while reaching for it will most likely take care of that most of the time.

Overall:
I give the H&K P-30 Serpa holster from Blackhawk a 9 out of 10, and for $55 you may find it worth the gamble for a pistol that currently has few choices for good OC holsters, and almost non for retention holsters.

Please post your finding and commentsreviews, as I would be interested in hearing of other holsters or experiences for the FNP-9.

FMCDH

imported post

Also found this video on YouTube. I cannot confirm or deny if this actually fits the FNP-9 ,but its easy enough to try one out at your local gun store as the cases these holsters sell in are ready open. It sounds like it rattles around a bit, but the tension screw may fix that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US14BTiWilY