• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Must Hit Poll On Guns.

FMCDH

imported post

Good one.

A bit cheeky, but fun non the less. The poll results are not surprising either, but I would like to see a poll counter.

By the way people, question 14 about the hunter or deer is a trick question. Consider it carefully before answering. Think of it in terms of Attacker vs. Victim instead of Hunter vs. Deer. Its the only one I didn't answer with the majority except for the last answer, but that's only because I don't have kids. ;)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

[align=right]
[/align] Current Totals:
Do you, or does anyone in your house, own a handgun?
Yes: 78% No: 22%

Would you like to own a gun?
Yes: 11% No: 16% I already own a gun: 73%

When was the last time you shot a gun?
In the last week: 42% In the last month: 25% In the last year: 11% Many years ago: 17% Never: 5%

Which of the following is - or would be - your primary motivation for owning a gun?
To protect myself, my family, or my possessions: 76% To hunt: 4% For target practice or a non-hunting sport: 8% As part of a collection or display: 1% My job requires it: 1% I would rather own a gnu than a gun: 9%

Would you more likely feel safer or less safe knowing the person sitting next to you at the office or in class was carrying a legally licensed gun?
Safer: 81% Less safe: 19%

Which of the following is the more urgent principle of public policy for you?
Protecting the rights of gun owners: 81% Regulating access to handguns: 19%

How often do you worry about you or a member of your family being a victim of gun violence?
Often: 15% Sometimes: 51% Never: 34%

Part of the debate about gun ownership hinges on how we interpret the U.S. Constitution. The exact words of the Constitution are as follows: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon.” Do you think these words guarantee each person the right to own a gun, or do they protect the right of citizens to form a militia without implying that each individual has the right to own a gun?
Armed individuals: 85% An armed militia: 15%

Do your views about gun control vary based on whether the gun owners are from rural areas or urban areas?
Yes: 9% No: 91%

Should the City of St. Louis have stricter gun control laws than the rest of the state?
Yes: 14% No: 86%

Which of the following conditions do you think is the most important cause of gun violence in the US?
The availability of guns: 9% The way children are raised: 63% The influence of TV, movies, video games, or the Internet: 14% Anger: 14%

Do you more agree with the City alderman who recently urged residents of a high crime neighborhood in his ward to apply for concealed weapons permits so they could start carrying guns, or with the City police chief who responded that introducing even more guns into high crime areas would be a recipe for greater turmoil, not less?
The Alderman: 79% The Police Chief: 21%

Which of the following would make you least likely to enjoy your drink and dinner in a City restaurant?
A publicly displayed handgun: 11% A publicly displayed breast: 5% A public display of affection: 1% A loudly squawking child: 52% A puffed cigar: 31% There was recently a news story about a hapless hunter who shot a deer and was then attacked by the thought-to-be-dead animal. Whose side are you on?
The Hunter: 67% The Deer: 33%

Hunter: 68% Gatherer: 32% Age:
Rock: 5% Bow: 3% Musket: 9% Revolver: 30% Automatic: 48% Taser: 5%

Which of the following characters is the gun toter closest to your own secret personality?
Annie Oakley, the Wild West sharpshooter: 25% Dirty Harry, the tough movie cop: 28% Elmer Fudd, the wabbit blasting hunter: 5% James Bond, the deadly spy: 30% Barney Fife, the deputy with an unloaded pistol: 11%

Which of the following most accurately describes your household?
Kids, no guns: 7% Kids, guns: 23% Kids, guns, and gun locks: 17% No kids, guns: 31% No kids, guns, and gun locks: 10% No kids, no guns: 13%

Gordie

imported post

When I submitted my vote it said that I had already voted. I wonder how many votes are being turned away.

Still, an entertaining way to see what people are thinking.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Current Totals:

Do you, or does anyone in your house, own a handgun?

Yes:
80%No:
20%

Would you like to own a gun?

Yes:
11%No:
14%I already own a gun:
75%

When was the last time you shot a gun?

In the last week:
44%In the last month:
26%In the last year:
11%Many years ago:
15%Never:
4%

Which of the following is - or would be - your primary motivation for owning a gun?

To protect myself, my family, or my possessions:
78%To hunt:
4%For target practice or a non-hunting sport:
8%As part of a collection or display:
1%My job requires it:
1%I would rather own a gnu than a gun:
8%

Would you more likely feel safer or less safe knowing the person sitting next to you at the office or in class was carrying a legally licensed gun?

Safer:
84%Less safe:
16%

Which of the following is the more urgent principle of public policy for you?

Protecting the rights of gun owners:
84%Regulating access to handguns:
16%

How often do you worry about you or a member of your family being a victim of gun violence?

Often:
16%Sometimes:
51%Never:
34%

Part of the debate about gun ownership hinges on how we interpret the U.S. Constitution. The exact words of the Constitution are as follows: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon.” Do you think these words guarantee each person the right to own a gun, or do they protect the right of citizens to form a militia without implying that each individual has the right to own a gun?

Armed individuals:
87%An armed militia:
13%

Do your views about gun control vary based on whether the gun owners are from rural areas or urban areas?

Yes:
8%No:
92%

Should the City of St. Louis have stricter gun control laws than the rest of the state?

Yes:
12%No:
88%

Which of the following conditions do you think is the most important cause of gun violence in the US?

The availability of guns:
8%The way children are raised:
65%The influence of TV, movies, video games, or the Internet:
14%Anger:
13%

Do you more agree with the City alderman who recently urged residents of a high crime neighborhood in his ward to apply for concealed weapons permits so they could start carrying guns, or with the City police chief who responded that introducing even more guns into high crime areas would be a recipe for greater turmoil, not less?

The Alderman:
82%The Police Chief:
18%

Which of the following would make you least likely to enjoy your drink and dinner in a City restaurant?

A publicly displayed handgun:
10%A publicly displayed breast:
5%A public display of affection:
1%A loudly squawking child:
53%A puffed cigar:
32%

There was recently a news story about a hapless hunter who shot a deer and was then attacked by the thought-to-be-dead animal. Whose side are you on?

The Hunter:
69%The Deer:
31%

20081204-0015.jpg

Colt:
87%Lady Colt:
13%

Hunter:
70%Gatherer:
30%

Rock:
5%Bow:
3%Musket:
8%Revolver:
31%Automatic:
48%Taser:
4%

Which of the following characters is the gun toter closest to your own secret personality?

Annie Oakley, the Wild West sharpshooter:
25%Dirty Harry, the tough movie cop:
29%Elmer Fudd, the wabbit blasting hunter:
6%James Bond, the deadly spy:
31%Barney Fife, the deputy with an unloaded pistol:
10%

Which of the following most accurately describes your household?

Kids, no guns:
6%Kids, guns:
23%Kids, guns, and gun locks:
19%No kids, guns:
31%No kids, guns, and gun locks:
10%No kids, no guns:
11%