• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama: Gun owners do not need to stock up

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Duct tape alert for Peter Hamms comments.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1318968,obama-gun-sales-up-120808.article
December 8, 2008

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter

As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month. "I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.

"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.

Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.

Nationally, background checks for gun purchases jumped nearly 49 percent during the week Obama was elected, compared with the same time period last year, according to the FBI's National Instant Background Check System.

Anecdotally, gun dealers around the country have reported spikes in sales. The Illinois State Rifle Association Reports gun sales for November were 38 percent higher than last year.

"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't know if that's necessarily true. My sister and her husband went out and got their first, both my parents went out and got their first (and second, and third) handguns, all since Obama was elected.

I know this is also anecdotal, but I don't believe that the vast majority of purchasers are those who already own. There must have been a significant amount of first-time buyers.

Gordie

imported post

The line from the Brady Campaign "We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more." says it all. Who has the right to tell me how many are enough. To them, one is too many.

Of course they will say that it is stupid, what else would they say? Their goal is to ban all firearms. Why would you expect them to say anything that might encourage people to continue to buy them?

If they go around saying that they are finally going to get gun control passed they know that it will only spur on the sales.

AllAmerican

imported post

Hmmmm

Until a few months ago the only handgun I owned was an RG 22 Revolver that I bought off my brother in law a few years back. Ive always had shotguns. So, I think I fall into that first time buyer scenario in this case. I have purchased 4 handguns in the last few months.

The Brady Bunch knows not a thing of which it speaks.

As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month. "I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference.

And the devil believes in Jesus but that doesnt mean he likes Him. (not trying to start a religious thing here)

Believing in and supporting the 2nd are two different things.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
NOTE: The Obamination used the term "lawful gun owners."
MY question is do I get to decide what "lawful" means?
You can tell he's lying, his lips are moving.

:p:lol:

Seriously, Obama has never said, unambiguously, that he supports the right of Americans to own any gun, for any reason or no reason. There have always been weasel words, doublespeak and unsaid qualifiers. If he actually said that, in so many words, on the record, I might start listening to whatever else he has to say on the subject.

Armed

imported post

Without fail, everyone I know that owns firearms is either buying new ones, or stocking up on ammo for what they already own. In some cases, it is simply because the run on guns and ammo are driving the prices up, and they are trying to buy-in while the prices are "low".

Either way, I think the instability of the unknown future / outcome says people want to acquire the tools and means for survival while they are still available. At the very least, I think we are in forsome extraordinarily economic tough times, and the ability to put meat on the table is paramount to survival.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I laughed pretty hard at the article and especially the Brady Campaign comments. Who are they to tell anyone they have "enough guns."

Obama's record speaks for itself and the Brady Campaign has made it clear over the years they don't agree with common sense anything. They just want all guns to go away. Maybe they should click their heels and make a wish. If we're lucky, they'll be the ones to go away so good, law-abiding citizens can stop worrying about them.

KS_to_CA

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
I don't know if that's necessarily true. My sister and her husband went out and got their first, both my parents went out and got their first (and second, and third) handguns, all since Obama was elected.

I know this is also anecdotal, but I don't believe that the vast majority of purchasers are those who already own. There must have been a significant amount of first-time buyers.
I for one know of a 55 year old banker who never had a gun in his life. He went to the same store I went to and bought two guns.

KS_to_CA

imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
Hmmmm

Until a few months ago the only handgun I owned was an RG 22 Revolver that I bought off my brother in law a few years back. Ive always had shotguns. So, I think I fall into that first time buyer scenario in this case. I have purchased 4 handguns in the last few months.

As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month. "I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference.

And the devil believes in Jesus but that doesnt mean he likes Him. (not trying to start a religious thing here)

Just to add, without wanting to engage in religious arguments, even the devil can quote the bible, but true,"supporting" is an entirely different matter.

AllAmerican

imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:
AllAmerican wrote:
Hmmmm

Just to add, without wanting to engage in religious arguments, even the devil can quote the bible, but true,"supporting" is an entirely different matter.
I think thats what I was trying to say there.

KS_to_CA

imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
KS_to_CA wrote:
AllAmerican wrote:
Hmmmm

I know and I agree with you, I just can't resist. ;)

I got me a new ruger and a new mossberg :celebrate

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
If my trip to the range yesterday is any indication, San Francisco has quite a few new gun owners this month. :lol:

AllAmerican

imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:
AllAmerican wrote:
KS_to_CA wrote:
AllAmerican wrote:
Hmmmm

I know and I agree with you, I just can't resist. ;)

I got me a new ruger and a new mossberg :celebrate

Hmmmm new Mossberg... I already have 2 shotties but am looking at the .308

Im a Mossberg fan.

FoGKeebler

imported post

So in a failing economy Mr. Obama is telling the American citizen to not stock up on guns?

So what hes saying between the lines is, please don't spend your money in an economy that really needs it and don't buy that nasty gun. This way the gun manufactures will fail and go bankrupt and when they ask for an 100 million dollar bail out package ill find some excuse not to give it to them and let them go under.

Hes attempting to issue gun control with out saying hes issuing gun control.

KansasMustang

imported post

Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance by those whom they opress. Frederich Douglas- Aug 4th 1857

imported post

Lets See;

Obama who we know is a prevaricator says we don't need to stock up, and

The Brady Bunch who we know are prevaricators say we don't need to stock up....

I think we now know we need to stock up. :what: