Thread: The NRA

Post imported post

I've been reading the boards for a couple of years now and just recently joined. My question is what does the NRA do or not do that bothers most of you. I became a life member when I was 23 and had more money than bills. Now 40 and have more bills than money. Also I have been OC since I got a Fobus for my Ruger P-90 in May. I live in Reston and Ashburn and wear it everywear I go and have hadno problems.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

You should probably have posted this thread in the "General Discussion" section of the forum. Now, if you wanted to ask about another gun rights organization that is outstanding like the Virgini Citizens Defense League, that would be appropriate in the "Virginia" section.

Check us out: http://www.vcdl.org/

"These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

I'm not trying to defend them here, just seeking enlightenment. I'll do some reading.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote: The NRA can't just lay claim to this one. The Virginia Citizens Defense League played a role in this.

Our President Phillip Van Cleave / A.K.A. Zeuss

Sent the membership and others on the VA Alert / A.K.A. Zeuss' lighting bolts telling us how to respond and comment on how to get this stupid rule overturned.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Virginia Citizens Defense League was a huge factor, but the NRA gets all the credit.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

The NRA is not being asked to claim anything. NAGR might be the antithesis to the NRA.

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote: The NRA can't just lay claim to this one. The Virginia Citizens Defense League played a role in this.

Our President Phillip Van Cleave / A.K.A. Zeuss

Sent the membership and others on the VA Alert / A.K.A. Zeuss' lighting bolts telling us how to respond and comment on how to get this stupid rule overturned.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Virginia Citizens Defense League was a huge factor, but the NRA gets all the credit.
    Actually the NRA claims all the credit (all of the time). My pet peeve with the NRA.

Granted, the NRA doesmost of the heavy lifting on the national scene and does it very well. They deserve the glory and accolades for it. But toread their press releases, you'd think that they are the only gun rights org in the world. I would like to see them give credit where it is due. The NRA would find itself among more friends instead of detractors; among orgs willing to support and help the NRA instead ofbeingrivals.

Post imported post

The NRA is a lobbying organization.

Lobbying organizations peddle influence.

Its an ugly process. If you don't like the smell of offal, you probably just want to pay for the service, and maintain your position upwind.

You will know the job is getting done when your pipes don't back up.

Not the warm-fuzzy answer anybody who asks this question wants, but that IS the answer.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

As an NRA Life member of 50 + years, I can tell you that people forget that the NRA is first an foremost an INDUSTRY lobbying group. While they are happy to take membership dues from "Joe the plumber", they really represent the Rugers and Glocks of the world. So in short, if certain legislation will support the sale of firearms, ammo, and related supplies, then the NRA will support it all out. If part of a legislative package will accomplish the same goal as the entire package in terms of firearms sales, then they have no problem doing the minimum level of support for the initiative.

While there is a lot of talk about supporting the little guy the fact is that in 1968 the organization changed significantly. Before that it was not nearly so involved in politics and lobbying, and really did support the membership.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I joined the NRA because they were a Lobbying group.

Plain and simple.

They have done no more or no less than I expected them to do.

The bigger most organizations get, the more they represent the group and the less the individual.

They make deals to get things done. I make deals every day and I understand that.

If that's OK with you....Join up, if not don't.