• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The NRA

altajava

imported post

I've been reading the boards for a couple of years now and just recently joined. My question is what does the NRA do or not do that bothers most of you. I became a life member when I was 23 and had more money than bills. Now 40 and have more bills than money. Also I have been OC since I got a Fobus for my Ruger P-90 in May. I live in Reston and Ashburn and wear it everywear I go and have hadno problems.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You should probably have posted this thread in the "General Discussion" section of the forum. Now, if you wanted to ask about another gun rights organization that is outstanding like the Virgini Citizens Defense League, that would be appropriate in the "Virginia" section.

Check us out: http://www.vcdl.org/

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

The NRA can't just lay claim to this one. The Virginia Citizens Defense League played a role in this.

Our President Phillip Van Cleave / A.K.A. Zeuss

Sent the membership and others on the VA Alert / A.K.A. Zeuss' lighting bolts telling us how to respond and comment on how to get this stupid rule overturned.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Virginia Citizens Defense League was a huge factor, but the NRA gets all the credit.

AtackDuck

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

The NRA can't just lay claim to this one. The Virginia Citizens Defense League played a role in this.

Our President Phillip Van Cleave / A.K.A. Zeuss

Sent the membership and others on the VA Alert / A.K.A. Zeuss' lighting bolts telling us how to respond and comment on how to get this stupid rule overturned.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Virginia Citizens Defense League was a huge factor, but the NRA gets all the credit.
Actually the NRA claims all the credit (all of the time). My pet peeve with the NRA.

Granted, the NRA doesmost of the heavy lifting on the national scene and does it very well. They deserve the glory and accolades for it. But toread their press releases, you'd think that they are the only gun rights org in the world. I would like to see them give credit where it is due. The NRA would find itself among more friends instead of detractors; among orgs willing to support and help the NRA instead ofbeingrivals.

W.E.G.

imported post

The NRA is a lobbying organization.

Lobbying organizations peddle influence.

Its an ugly process. If you don't like the smell of offal, you probably just want to pay for the service, and maintain your position upwind.

You will know the job is getting done when your pipes don't back up.

Not the warm-fuzzy answer anybody who asks this question wants, but that IS the answer.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As an NRA Life member of 50 + years, I can tell you that people forget that the NRA is first an foremost an INDUSTRY lobbying group. While they are happy to take membership dues from "Joe the plumber", they really represent the Rugers and Glocks of the world. So in short, if certain legislation will support the sale of firearms, ammo, and related supplies, then the NRA will support it all out. If part of a legislative package will accomplish the same goal as the entire package in terms of firearms sales, then they have no problem doing the minimum level of support for the initiative.

While there is a lot of talk about supporting the little guy the fact is that in 1968 the organization changed significantly. Before that it was not nearly so involved in politics and lobbying, and really did support the membership.

Regards

imported post

I joined the NRA because they were a Lobbying group.

Plain and simple.

They have done no more or no less than I expected them to do.

The bigger most organizations get, the more they represent the group and the less the individual.

They make deals to get things done. I make deals every day and I understand that.

If that's OK with you....Join up, if not don't.