• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response from AG Ayotte's Office on Manchester Open Carry Harassment

mvpel

imported post

The reply to a letter I sent to their office a couple of months ago, decrying the open carry harassment in Manchester, was drafted by an Associate AG, Ms. Ann M. Rice.

It's attached as a PDF file.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

We have a right to open carry. It's right there in the AG's letter!

:celebrate

The letter was just boilerplate. Yes, police can respond to calls and yes they can detain "depending on the circumstances" (just so long as those circumstances involve something additional to just open carrying a gun). So what. Sounds like your typical government BS.

Looks like the Manchester PD is going to have to get sued to learn their lesson and for us to get it settled once and for all that Terry v. Ohio must be followed in New Hampshire.

KBCraig

imported post

When it comes to police investigating open carry, Ms. Rice needs to acquaint herself with Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
When it comes to police investigating open carry, Ms. Rice needs to acquaint herself with Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266.

Funny, I was about to post that...

Good thing I read the whole thread.

Additionally, you should reply, by snail mail, to this letter.

Ask Ms. Rice that if a person called to report a person walking around with a potted plant, would the police have some obligation to respond and determine if intervention was necessary? Said potted plant could be of a foreign origin, and could cause severe ecological harm if it were to cross pollinate with the local flora.

The point is that in the absence of some evidence that there is a threat to public safety, there should be no response further than UNOBTRUSIVE observation.