Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: New CPL holders

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Have any people that have gotten their CPL in the last 3 months or so have started getting phone calls from the NRA?

    A co-worker of mine started getting phone calls coming from them within a week or so after getting his CPL.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    194

    Post imported post

    Sorry, couldn't tell for sure. I was already a NRA member before I got my CPL... lol. Now its lifetime membership! A gift from my father

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    It's grass roots organizations like O.C.org and others that help the little man.....the NRA can KISS MY ASSETS!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.
    There absolutely positively should not be. If there is, than something is very wrong and it could mean lawsuits against whatever region the CPL was applied for in.

  6. #6
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    I got several letters right after getting my CPL from the NRA, asking me to join, but I figured that may have been related to my subscription to Guns and Ammo magazine. It wasn't just the NRA but many other magazines and such trying to get me to sign up for this or donate to that. Finally put a stop to it when I called the publisher and told them I was canceling my subscription because they sold my information to others. But I really don't think it was related to my CPL.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kitsap Co., Washington, USA
    Posts
    110

    Post imported post

    Probably due to something else like sending in a warranty card for the new holster, gun, etc.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.
    There absolutely positively should not be. If there is, than something is very wrong and it could mean lawsuits against whatever region the CPL was applied for in.
    I agree but are they considered private in Wa.?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    spike89 wrote:
    Probably due to something else like sending in a warranty card for the new holster, gun, etc.
    He has done neither. I have never gotten anything from the NRA after ordering Magazines or sending in warranty cards. Compmanio started getting stuff from them also which makes me wonder a little more if there is a correlation between the two.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.
    There absolutely positively should not be. If there is, than something is very wrong and it could mean lawsuits against whatever region the CPL was applied for in.
    I agree but are they considered private in Wa.?
    The simple matter on this is that you are giving an application to a city/county/state controlled authority. This information is to be used for internal application process only until your CPL is approved. At that point that information is logged with your CPL info and that is it. If that information is ever distributed outside of that process it is a huge no-no.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.
    There absolutely positively should not be. If there is, than something is very wrong and it could mean lawsuits against whatever region the CPL was applied for in.
    I agree but are they considered private in Wa.?
    The simple matter on this is that you are giving an application to a city/county/state controlled authority. This information is to be used for internal application process only until your CPL is approved. At that point that information is logged with your CPL info and that is it. If that information is ever distributed outside of that process it is a huge no-no.
    Is there anything statutorily that makes it a no-no? I have never read or been told that it is private info in Wa.

    Some states consider it to be public record.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kitsap Co., Washington, USA
    Posts
    110

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    spike89 wrote: Thats what I wanted to see. Thanks Spike.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yakima County, ,
    Posts
    506

    Post imported post

    Maybe it's my quasiconspiratorial outlook on life combined with a general mistrust for police departments, but do you think it possible that an enthusiastic NRA member works at the department, and sees the applicant as likely candidate for recruitment?

    But to answer the question, no, I haven't, but I live in a small town.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LaConner, Washington, USA
    Posts
    649

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.
    There absolutely positively should not be. If there is, than something is very wrong and it could mean lawsuits against whatever region the CPL was applied for in.
    I agree but are they considered private in Wa.?
    The simple matter on this is that you are giving an application to a city/county/state controlled authority. This information is to be used for internal application process only until your CPL is approved. At that point that information is logged with your CPL info and that is it. If that information is ever distributed outside of that process it is a huge no-no.
    There was the case just recently about the sheriff of Washington County OR who made himself something of a hero by refusing to disclose the names of CPL holders in his county. I forget now what prompted the incident.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    Have any people that have gotten their CPL in the last 3 months or so have started getting phone calls from the NRA?

    A co-worker of mine started getting phone calls coming from them within a week or so after getting his CPL.
    I receive mail from the NRA about once a month wanting me to upgrade my life membership. Other than that, I've received two phone calls from them since the election wanting to know ifMr. LaPierre can count on me for $1250.00. :what:

    Yeah right!!!!

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    GOt my CPL and haven't got anything from NRA or calls. Must be something else

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington, United States
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    Richard6218 wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.
    There absolutely positively should not be. If there is, than something is very wrong and it could mean lawsuits against whatever region the CPL was applied for in.
    I agree but are they considered private in Wa.?
    The simple matter on this is that you are giving an application to a city/county/state controlled authority. This information is to be used for internal application process only until your CPL is approved. At that point that information is logged with your CPL info and that is it. If that information is ever distributed outside of that process it is a huge no-no.
    There was the case just recently about the sheriff of Washington County OR who made himself something of a hero by refusing to disclose the names of CPL holders in his county. I forget now what prompted the incident.
    the case was a law suit brought on by a news agency wanting the release to public record of all permit holders information, that is Name, address, phone, etc.

    im not sure where this was, i believe it was in oregon, but it could have started in another state. The Washington county sheriff, state that the would not turn over permit holders information, no matter what.

    im not sure what happened with the actual law suit though. (they actually went over this in my NRA class i had to take to apply for the oregon concealed carry permit) (though the instructor thought open carry was illegal)

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kitsap Co., Washington, USA
    Posts
    332

    Post imported post

    Yes, it was Wash. Co., OR. The Sheriff told the news org to get bent.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LaConner, Washington, USA
    Posts
    649

    Post imported post

    codegeek2004 wrote:
    Richard6218 wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.
    There absolutely positively should not be. If there is, than something is very wrong and it could mean lawsuits against whatever region the CPL was applied for in.
    I agree but are they considered private in Wa.?
    The simple matter on this is that you are giving an application to a city/county/state controlled authority. This information is to be used for internal application process only until your CPL is approved. At that point that information is logged with your CPL info and that is it. If that information is ever distributed outside of that process it is a huge no-no.
    There was the case just recently about the sheriff of Washington County OR who made himself something of a hero by refusing to disclose the names of CPL holders in his county. I forget now what prompted the incident.
    the case was a law suit brought on by a news agency wanting the release to public record of all permit holders information, that is Name, address, phone, etc.

    im not sure where this was, i believe it was in oregon, but it could have started in another state. The Washington county sheriff, state that the would not turn over permit holders information, no matter what.

    im not sure what happened with the actual law suit though. (they actually went over this in my NRA class i had to take to apply for the oregon concealed carry permit) (though the instructor thought open carry was illegal)
    I lived in Washington County just a few years ago and had a CPL there, so I know a bit about OR law. Oregon IS an open carry state but its preemption law is not as strong as Washington's. The result is more a patchwork of county-by-county regulations. OC in not permitted in Multnomah, Washington and (I think) Clakamas counties, which is essentially the entire Portland metro area. So your instructor was correct. I would advise researching this further before you think about OC'ing.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    645

    Post imported post

    I lived in Washington County just a few years ago and had a CPL there, so I know a bit about OR law. Oregon IS an open carry state but its preemption law is not as strong as Washington's. The result is more a patchwork of county-by-county regulations. OC in not permitted in Multnomah, Washington and (I think) Clakamas counties, which is essentially the entire Portland metro area. So your instructor was correct. I would advise researching this further before you think about OC'ing.
    Correction.

    Open carry is not allowed in these areas UNLESS YOU HAVE A CPL.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington, United States
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    I lived in Washington County just a few years ago and had a CPL there, so I know a bit about OR law. Oregon IS an open carry state but its preemption law is not as strong as Washington's. The result is more a patchwork of county-by-county regulations. OC in not permitted in Multnomah, Washington and (I think) Clakamas counties, which is essentially the entire Portland metro area. So your instructor was correct. I would advise researching this further before you think about OC'ing.
    Correction.

    Open carry is not allowed in these areas UNLESS YOU HAVE A CPL.
    exactly.....that how i had understood it, tht you couldnt OC unless you had a CPL, if i remember correctly, OR has an open holster law which you can carry an unloaded firearm in these areas without a CPL.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LaConner, Washington, USA
    Posts
    649

    Post imported post

    codegeek2004 wrote:
    Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    I lived in Washington County just a few years ago and had a CPL there, so I know a bit about OR law. Oregon IS an open carry state but its preemption law is not as strong as Washington's. The result is more a patchwork of county-by-county regulations. OC in not permitted in Multnomah, Washington and (I think) Clakamas counties, which is essentially the entire Portland metro area. So your instructor was correct. I would advise researching this further before you think about OC'ing.
    Correction.

    Open carry is not allowed in these areas UNLESS YOU HAVE A CPL.
    exactly.....that how i had understood it, tht you couldnt OC unless you had a CPL, if i remember correctly, OR has an open holster law which you can carry an unloaded firearm in these areas without a CPL.
    I stand corrected. I knew there were restrictions on OC in those counties buthad forgotten just how they are applied.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    And just for further clarification, it's not the counties that ban permitless OC, it's certain individual cities.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •