Thread: New CPL holders

Post imported post

Have any people that have gotten their CPL in the last 3 months or so have started getting phone calls from the NRA?

A co-worker of mine started getting phone calls coming from them within a week or so after getting his CPL.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Sorry, couldn't tell for sure. I was already a NRA member before I got my CPL... lol. Now its lifetime membership! A gift from my father

Post imported post

It's grass roots organizations like O.C.org and others that help the little man.....the NRA can KISS MY ASSETS!

Post imported post

I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    I am just trying to see if there is a correlation between the CPL issue and the NRA calls.
    There absolutely positively should not be. If there is, than something is very wrong and it could mean lawsuits against whatever region the CPL was applied for in.

Post imported post

I got several letters right after getting my CPL from the NRA, asking me to join, but I figured that may have been related to my subscription to Guns and Ammo magazine. It wasn't just the NRA but many other magazines and such trying to get me to sign up for this or donate to that. Finally put a stop to it when I called the publisher and told them I was canceling my subscription because they sold my information to others. But I really don't think it was related to my CPL.

Post imported post

Probably due to something else like sending in a warranty card for the new holster, gun, etc.

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    There absolutely positively should not be. If there is, than something is very wrong and it could mean lawsuits against whatever region the CPL was applied for in.
    I agree but are they considered private in Wa.?

Post imported post

spike89 wrote:
    Probably due to something else like sending in a warranty card for the new holster, gun, etc.
    He has done neither. I have never gotten anything from the NRA after ordering Magazines or sending in warranty cards. Compmanio started getting stuff from them also which makes me wonder a little more if there is a correlation between the two.

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    The simple matter on this is that you are giving an application to a city/county/state controlled authority. This information is to be used for internal application process only until your CPL is approved. At that point that information is logged with your CPL info and that is it. If that information is ever distributed outside of that process it is a huge no-no.

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    The simple matter on this is that you are giving an application to a city/county/state controlled authority. This information is to be used for internal application process only until your CPL is approved. At that point that information is logged with your CPL info and that is it. If that information is ever distributed outside of that process it is a huge no-no.
    Is there anything statutorily that makes it a no-no? I have never read or been told that it is private info in Wa.

Some states consider it to be public record.

Post imported post

spike89 wrote: Thats what I wanted to see. Thanks Spike.

Post imported post

Maybe it's my quasiconspiratorial outlook on life combined with a general mistrust for police departments, but do you think it possible that an enthusiastic NRA member works at the department, and sees the applicant as likely candidate for recruitment?

But to answer the question, no, I haven't, but I live in a small town.

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    There was the case just recently about the sheriff of Washington County OR who made himself something of a hero by refusing to disclose the names of CPL holders in his county. I forget now what prompted the incident.

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    Have any people that have gotten their CPL in the last 3 months or so have started getting phone calls from the NRA?

A co-worker of mine started getting phone calls coming from them within a week or so after getting his CPL.
    I receive mail from the NRA about once a month wanting me to upgrade my life membership. Other than that, I've received two phone calls from them since the election wanting to know ifMr. LaPierre can count on me for $1250.00. :what:

Yeah right!!!!

Post imported post

GOt my CPL and haven't got anything from NRA or calls. Must be something else

Post imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    There was the case just recently about the sheriff of Washington County OR who made himself something of a hero by refusing to disclose the names of CPL holders in his county. I forget now what prompted the incident.
    the case was a law suit brought on by a news agency wanting the release to public record of all permit holders information, that is Name, address, phone, etc.

im not sure where this was, i believe it was in oregon, but it could have started in another state. The Washington county sheriff, state that the would not turn over permit holders information, no matter what.

im not sure what happened with the actual law suit though. (they actually went over this in my NRA class i had to take to apply for the oregon concealed carry permit) (though the instructor thought open carry was illegal)

Post imported post

Yes, it was Wash. Co., OR. The Sheriff told the news org to get bent.

Post imported post

codegeek2004 wrote:
    Richard6218 wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    the case was a law suit brought on by a news agency wanting the release to public record of all permit holders information, that is Name, address, phone, etc.

im not sure where this was, i believe it was in oregon, but it could have started in another state. The Washington county sheriff, state that the would not turn over permit holders information, no matter what.

im not sure what happened with the actual law suit though. (they actually went over this in my NRA class i had to take to apply for the oregon concealed carry permit) (though the instructor thought open carry was illegal)
    I lived in Washington County just a few years ago and had a CPL there, so I know a bit about OR law. Oregon IS an open carry state but its preemption law is not as strong as Washington's. The result is more a patchwork of county-by-county regulations. OC in not permitted in Multnomah, Washington and (I think) Clakamas counties, which is essentially the entire Portland metro area. So your instructor was correct. I would advise researching this further before you think about OC'ing.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

I lived in Washington County just a few years ago and had a CPL there, so I know a bit about OR law. Oregon IS an open carry state but its preemption law is not as strong as Washington's. The result is more a patchwork of county-by-county regulations. OC in not permitted in Multnomah, Washington and (I think) Clakamas counties, which is essentially the entire Portland metro area. So your instructor was correct. I would advise researching this further before you think about OC'ing.
    Correction.

Open carry is not allowed in these areas UNLESS YOU HAVE A CPL.

Post imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    Correction.

exactly.....that how i had understood it, tht you couldnt OC unless you had a CPL, if i remember correctly, OR has an open holster law which you can carry an unloaded firearm in these areas without a CPL.

Post imported post

codegeek2004 wrote:
    Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    Correction.

exactly.....that how i had understood it, tht you couldnt OC unless you had a CPL, if i remember correctly, OR has an open holster law which you can carry an unloaded firearm in these areas without a CPL.
    I stand corrected. I knew there were restrictions on OC in those counties buthad forgotten just how they are applied.

Post imported post

And just for further clarification, it's not the counties that ban permitless OC, it's certain individual cities.