• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black powder revolvers?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Just wanted to find out where in the law it states that I can CC a black powder revolver without a CHP? I know the ATF doesn't declare a black powder handgun a firearm so I guess that is why it is legal to CC a black powder revolver. Also wondering about OC vs. CC with a black powder in alcoholic establishments. Since they are not "firearms" then can't I CC into a place that serves alcohol. As you all know my parents aren't allowing me to carry a firearm until I am 21. I would like to look into a way to defend myself for the time being and this sounds like a good option. A black power .44 can still do some serious damage and I should be able to OC and CC without any issues since it is not a firearm correct? Thanks guys! I may look into a BP for xmas this year:celebrate It's such a pain when I want to go places and am unable to defend myself if a situation arises:banghead:

Just a thought but isn't this a good way around campus carry? Since they are not "firearms" or does the university still declare BP revolvers as firearms in their laws?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bill's analysis is right on target. For the purposes of CC laws the revolver would be a firearm and subject to the concealed carry provisions under Virginia law.

It should be noted that the reason that the Federal Government treat's these things differently is because they do not make for very practical defensive weapons when compared to more readily available options.

I suppose if that is all you have that might be a good reason to carry one of these, but they are not completely reliable. You have already said you have better options available (all be it unpopular with your parents). For your own safety you should reconsider your plans.

Regards

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I guess I am better defenseless for now since I am in Norfolk:shock: I think I am more worried about the Norfolk PD than anything else:banghead: Why would I be unable to CC a BP revolver if it isn't a firearm? Anyone can just buy one in the store as long as they are 18 years of age.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I guess I am better defenseless for now since I am in Norfolk:shock: I think I am more worried about the Norfolk PD than anything else:banghead: Why would I be unable to CC a BP revolver if it isn't a firearm? Anyone can just buy one in the store as long as they are 18 years of age.

I have been researching all possible alternativesand 'loopholes' to ccw under 21 for over a year now. There ain't none.

Black powder revolvers are covered by VA CCW laws:
If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material

If VA gets reciprocity with any of the states I have non-resident permits from, they still wouldn't be accepted by VA until I'm 21. My parents don't OC, and my dad still feels iffy about it, but hesaid it is a decision for me to make for myself since herealizes that I know the applicablelaws better than he does. He feels iffy about it because he's worried I'll get hassled by cops for being 'young'. That's in the back of my mind too but no one's bothered me yet....

CRF250rider1000

imported post

My parents just don't want a phone call from me from a Norfolk jail or something like that. They are just worried about me getting hassled by the cops also.:uhoh: Well that was my attempt at a loophole off to search for another one:p

nova

imported post

yeah my parents have enough to deal with (medical) so I'm careful to not put anything more on their plate.

hunter45

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
My parents just don't want a phone call from me from a Norfolk jail or something like that. They are just worried about me getting hassled by the cops also.:uhoh: Well that was my attempt at a loophole off to search for another one:p

So that means they should let you OC when you are in NOVA, right? Then they would get a call from a Fairfax County jail, not a Norfolk jail. :)

All of us youngsters under 21 should meet up and OC together sometime!

nova

imported post

The VCDL Meeting/dinner is schedulednext Thrusday (18th) so I'll see some of you there, but we can always set up an OCDO dinner in early January sometime too!

hunter45

imported post

nova wrote:
The VCDL Meeting/dinner is scheduled next Thrusday (18th) so I'll see some of you there, but we can always set up an OCDO dinner in early January sometime too!

I'm probably going to attend (it will be my first meeting), but that means I have to sell my Washington Capitals tickets for that night. :( I think I'm going to save my first OC experience for the meeting.
That will be the only meeting I'll be able to attend until I come home from school again in May (unless there is a meeting over spring break or on a weekend that I'm home).

nova

imported post

Sounds good to me. I didn't OC at my first meeting either. But even if I couldn't OC I'd still go to the meetings as I just love being in the presence of so many people that share my views and hobby. I'm always up for a range trip. I'm going to get my range card wednesday and stop by the NRA store and get a christmas gift or two for a family member :)

kle

imported post

There are alternatives to carrying around a firearm. Not as effective, sure, but something (anything) is better than nothing. And then when you turn 21, you can swap the pepper spray or taser for your Glock or Keltec =)

hunter45

imported post

kle wrote:
There are alternatives to carrying around a firearm.  Not as effective, sure, but something (anything) is better than nothing.  And then when you turn 21, you can swap the pepper spray or taser for your Glock or Keltec =)

I bought a stun gun for $20 at the gun show at the Dulles Expo Center a few weeks ago. We've had some fun with that in the dorm. :lol: But I didn't realize until a few days ago that I can OC at 18. Self defense wasn't the only reason why I bought the stun gun though, I just thought it looked cool.

kle

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I bought a stun gun for $20 at the gun show at the Dulles Expo Center a few weeks ago. We've had some fun with that in the dorm. :lol: But I didn't realize until a few days ago that I can OC at 18. Self defense wasn't the only reason why I bought the stun gun though, I just thought it looked cool.
Or liked the way that vendor kept cracking the demo stun gun when he thought things were getting too quiet?

I've always wondered what one of those would feel like, jammed into my ribs. But then I come to my senses and realize that it's probably VERY unpleasant =)