• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I bought my first gun.

MetalChris

imported post

Congrats! The XD is a very nice gun...I own the .45 Service and have fired the 9 and .40.

Again...congrats!

unarmed in westchester

imported post

hammer6, congrats on the new gun and may she serve you well!

When i read this topic, i said "i'm jealous" aloud and my fiancee came in to see why lol. I showed her the picture and commented on what a nice gun it was...i'm thinking it'd make a nice christmas present :D!

The Springfield XD's are really nice guns. I have a Glock 19 and sometimes think i should have went with an XD. I love my Glock and have not had any problems. But i handled the XD's a few times and as you stated, it fit my hand perfectly and i love all the features. Maybe an XD will make a good .40 for me.

hammer6

imported post

unarmed in westchester wrote:

When i read this topic, i said "i'm jealous" aloud and my fiancee came in to see why lol. I showed her the picture and commented on what a nice gun it was...i'm thinking it'd make a nice christmas present :D!

The Springfield XD's are really nice guns. I have a Glock 19 and sometimes think i should have went with an XD. I love my Glock and have not had any problems. But i handled the XD's a few times and as you stated, it fit my hand perfectly and i love all the features. Maybe an XD will make a good .40 for me.

glock 19 was the first SA i shot. it is a good pistol, but i just like the way the XD felt in my hand. glock 19 was out of my price range, and plus i like that added safety on the handle. although i am a believer in the only real safety is your finger....but anyways- i'm asking "santa" for an AR-15 for christmas...MAY BOTH OUR WISHES COME TRUE!!!!

and thanks!:celebrate

AustinTacticalFirearms

imported post

It's funny, I've had the same opinion about my XD...perhaps I should have bought the G17. The one problem with the XD that the Glock doesn't have is parts distribution. If you want to do a trigger job, change the sights, replace the magazine release, etc forget it on the XD...unless you send it back to Springfield. It's almost impossible to find aftermarket parts. I've carried my XD40 for a little over 3 years and have shot close to 50k rounds through it. The locking block finally gave up the ghost and started fracturing. I called Springfield for a replacement (it's only 3 pins holding the thing to the frame), and they said I had to return it. Now they replaced it real quick, but it really is a $20 part they could have overnighted to me (the work was under warranty).

I've disassembled my XD and a Glock hundreds of times, and these guns are basically brothers from another mother. I have no idea how Springfield kept from stomping on Glock's patents :lol:. Both are fabulous guns, and I really enjoy shooting them. Find the gun that fits your hand and go with it. Much easier to change guns than surgically replace your palm.

modificationvt

imported post

AustinTacticalFirearms wrote:

It's funny, I've had the same opinion about my XD...perhaps I should have bought the G17. The one problem with the XD that the Glock doesn't have is parts distribution. If you want to do a trigger job, change the sights, replace the magazine release, etc forget it on the XD...unless you send it back to Springfield. It's almost impossible to find aftermarket parts. I've carried my XD40 for a little over 3 years and have shot close to 50k rounds through it. The locking block finally gave up the ghost and started fracturing. I called Springfield for a replacement (it's only 3 pins holding the thing to the frame), and they said I had to return it. Now they replaced it real quick, but it really is a $20 part they could have overnighted to me (the work was under warranty).

I've disassembled my XD and a Glock hundreds of times, and these guns are basically brothers from another mother. I have no idea how Springfield kept from stomping on Glock's patents :lol:. Both are fabulous guns, and I really enjoy shooting them. Find the gun that fits your hand and go with it. Much easier to change guns than surgically replace your palm.
a good place to start for aftermarket parts for the XD is http://pistolgear.com/ I have done a trigger job and sight change on my XD by myself there are other aftermarket parts available if you do some searching...Powder River Precisoin (I think) trigger kit is amazing and easy to instal yourself

AustinTacticalFirearms

imported post

Most of the parts on the Glock/XD are super easy to replace, fine tune, upgrade. I just think it's easier to find parts for the Glock than the XD. Thanks for the heads up on the Pistol Gear. I'd forgotten about them. I've also run across Gunner Supply (http://www.gunnersupply.com). They have a few odds and ends as well.

richarcm

imported post

Dustin wrote:
hammer6 wrote:
My XD fit right into my hand like it was meant to be
Sound Familar Guys ?

Don't worry, Springfield does this to all of us ;)
I picked up the XD9 last week and must agree....it does feel good. Second only to my 1911 of course. :)

redlegagent

imported post

AustinTacticalFirearms wrote:
Most of the parts on the Glock/XD are super easy to replace, fine tune, upgrade. I just think it's easier to find parts for the Glock than the XD. Thanks for the heads up on the Pistol Gear. I'd forgotten about them. I've also run across Gunner Supply (http://www.gunnersupply.com). They have a few odds and ends as well.

Just keep in mind that the Glock has been around a lot longer than the XD so parts etc. are going to be more prevelent. That aside, the XD line is excellent - I have an XD-40 and my girlfriend has an XD-9. The XD line basically copied everything that was good with the Glocks and SIG's to make their design. I look forward to the XD-M line but, due to demand, none available anywhere near where I live for some time. I believe the XD will be a serious contender in the next military sidearm competition. :celebrate